Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Powell played reasonable minutes this season and is one injury away from starting. He would have to move to a significantly worse team to guarantee getting a starting role, and that team most probably won't be going to the NCAA tourney. He's a smart guy so I don't see him making that mistake.
I think there's a good chance that next year's starting frontcourt is Davis, Murphy and Powell. No?

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
Mazzulla was the most head-scratching addition at the time, and remains so- but per usual will defer to this coaching staff.

Don’t really think a transfer PG was what this roster needed, but he could be great and his brother is an AC for the Celtics.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Mazzulla was the most head-scratching addition at the time, and remains so- but per usual will defer to this coaching staff.

Don’t really think a transfer PG was what this roster needed, but he could be great and his brother is an AC for the Celtics.
Watching him on the bench with Fiorillo was a highlight this year. Those guys looked like they were having a great time/super energetic/going crazy for their teammates. If any of that translates to the court I get it.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Five rotation-worthy guards does seem like a lot. But I think it goes back to, at this level, that good guards are easier to get than good post players and that you can never have too much talent of any kind. It's up to Becker & Co. to figure out how to make that work. My guess is they have an idea, and it's probably just going to look different than what we're used to.

·
Registered
311 Posts

The guy averaged 8.9 points and 4.5 rebounds in the A10 in 18-19. Regardless of UVM's wealth of guards, Robin has had difficulty scoring, and so has Shungu at times. It's really only Stef who is a volume scorer. Adding those points and rebounds could be a really underrated move.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
UVM will be so loaded that Becker could play using random numbers and still win. I'd like to see Garrison and Dieng get into games earlier. To me, Fiorello looks like a multi-minute player who will get floor time but I would like everyone to get something meaningful even if they are height-deprived (as I am). When you're up by 25...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Given the logjam at guard, my sense is they will push the pace. Smith, Shungu, Deloney, Robin Duncan, and Mazzulla...only one of them is a proven commodity at shooting the ball, but all four of the players we've seen in a Catamount uniform can get to the rim and are quick enough. I do hope that all those who need to know how to shoot (the four guards minus Smith + Patella, Powell, and literally anyone else) lock themselves in the gym when they can all summer and 1-2 of them can come out of it above 33-34% from deep. You can do it, forgotten man, Eric Beckett.
Given all the chatter about Mazzulla "not making sense" I'm gonna go ahead and quote myself from 7 days ago, because I think it bears repeating. If Mazzulla can effectively get to the rim like Smith, Shungu, Deloney and Robin, it probably means UVM will set itself up to push at a higher pace when it needs to. I would still say that someone in that group + everyone else on the roster needs to up the shooting from 3-point range...which is why I'd be happy with a wing-type who can defend forward positions but has range, really an Everett replacement for the final scholarship. But, as said, generally speaking when it comes to roster construction the coaches have gotten it right, we can't argue with results there.

Adding Murphy does shore up a lot of low post play and does give them an overall boost to inch slightly closer to Stony Brook next year, but his rebounding and even rebounding per 40 and some advanced metrics stink. That'll have to be a point of empahsis, but then it also falls to Powell and Demuth. Seen more of it from the former. Still have no idea how Demuth is going to work out. Hopefully he shakes whatever was shaking him and becomes a piece. Lefebvre if he contributes anything meaningful as a freshman that's a bonus. UVM is lucky that for years it has had effective rebounding guards in Shungu and Dre Wills before him. Mazzulla's rebounding level both true and advanced for a 6-3 guard are pretty good as well. Low post defense could certainly be an issue, but the team philosophy is to be committed to defending so I'm sure something gets figured out.

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
The PG that nobody seems to be mentioning that was playing great by the end of the season and IMO has earned a lot more time in 2020-21 and why Mazzulla makes less sense now then when he transferred mid-season, is Aaron Deloney. Deloney was getting real comfortable out there and his talent is pretty evident.

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
X-factors next season will be Powell and Demuth. The decision to shut down then restart Powell was one of the strangest decisions I’ve seen in following 30 plus years of UVM b-ball. I don’t know if he’s going to average 5ppg-7ppg or 12-14ppg next season. Wild card as to what he becomes. We already know he can play and be a productive player, just how much and how consistent is the question.

Demuth had a real rough go of it last year, not sure what the issue was but he’d basically just miss whatever threes he took in however many minutes he played and do almost nothing else. I’ve heard Bernie say how good he is and staff really likes him, so maybe there’s something there? He needs to take a step up from walk-on level contributions next year.

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
Murphy should provide at least 6-8ppg and 4-5 boards, but could be more as he’s transferring to a conference with a lot less size & athletic big men, and bigs in general. Cautiously optimistic, we all got a little burned by the last Northeastern big man transfer.

No guesses on Mazzulla & Lefebrve

·
Registered
556 Posts
The PG that nobody seems to be mentioning that was playing great by the end of the season and IMO has earned a lot more time in 2020-21 and why Mazzulla makes less sense now then when he transferred mid-season, is Aaron Deloney. Deloney was getting real comfortable out there and his talent is pretty evident.
Watching Deloney late in the season was a little like Patella early in the season. Regardless of level of depth, at a certain point you just have to find a way to get the guy on the court. I think he’ll play quite a bit next year. So probably a bunch of three-guard lineups depending on who the opponent is. The good news is that Shungu, Duncan and Mazzulla are all big guards who rebound.

41 - 60 of 160 Posts