Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

681 - 700 of 740 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
My take away on this additional info wasn't reassuring and just continuing to kick the can down the road. That being said, I do feel like student athletics and health facilities is the priority for overall UVM community post-Pandemic. But, like others have just said, if that's what Patrick Gym is to be repurposed for, how is that accomplished if not in conjunction with a new home for basketball teams (?)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Because I'm too lazy to look it up: what affect was this project going to have on the Gucciardi fitness facility? Was that getting improved in any way? Or was it getting phased out as part of the Patrick repurposing? Or neither?

My point: possible that the Gutterson reno also includes some upgrades to that, considering they are attached (and renovation was going to occur on that side of the rink as well)?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Because I'm too lazy to look it up: what affect was this project going to have on the Gucciardi fitness facility? Was that getting improved in any way? Or was it getting phased out as part of the Patrick repurposing? Or neither?

My point: possible that the Gutterson reno also includes some upgrades to that, considering they are attached (and renovation was going to occur on that side of the rink as well)?
Yes, because eventually as I understand it they're going to be relocating all the athletic staff and coaches offices (many of which currently were in between what will join Gutterson and Tarrant and have temporarily been moved elsewhere until everything is completed, or need to be moved for Tarrant (the current connector part for Patrick and Gutterson is where the ADs offices are, plus all the ones up on that Patrick Gym balcony second floor). Not to mention having to probably redo many of the locker room facilities for the students and faculty who use the fitness center, and I also believe the athletes are getting their dedicated strength center possibly relocated as well, because the current plans call for that area to be re-purposed for the general wellness facility.

You can kind of see it in the visuals for the fitness center part...basically, they're keeping the current Patrick Gym floors (maybe not the center court), but they're pulling out all the bleachers, probably blowing out that balcony and of course the offices up there, as well as redoing the lobby, but inside where the courts are behind it, on the wall where the basketball locker rooms, the classrooms, athletic training offices and all that are, it's all getting totally reworked as well...so they're probably now just going to start in that middle labyrinth around the pool area/racquetball courts and work up to the indoor turf/fitness class studios, and then once that's done, begin work on Tarrant, and the last step then is swapping the courts/upper track used for rec purposes over (the lower track is staying to be used for the indoor season for track and field)

The short of it is they're going to be a lot that needs to be done down there because you're directly building something new in the middle of it, and unless you know your way around you're walking through the fitness areas like Spinal Tap trying to find the stage. So, they have to fix it.

Anyway, the BFP talked to Schulman about it. The basketball facility still has the president and board's support for getting done. Until there is an actual reason to panic, don't.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
TLDR....So they wait listed the Tarrant center until the optics are better.

Reactions: UVM Hoop Cat

·
Registered
309 Posts
ESPN gives UVM a 58% chance of winning the Thursday and Friday games on the road at UMBC. Meaningless but anyway, thanks for the confidence, guys. FWIW, the odds of two 58% occurrences happening back-to-back is 34%.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Not sure if mentioned somewhere, but UVM/UMBC game Thursday on ESPNU

Reactions: elb33

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
FYI the Hartford website has the uvm / Hartford series rescheduled to take place 2/27 & 2/28
Yeah sounds like UVMs closing schedule is UMBC this week, a midweek game next Wednesday versus UNH for senior night / tiebreaking purposes and then @Hartford for 2.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah sounds like UVMs closing schedule is UMBC this week, a midweek game next Wednesday versus UNH for senior night / tiebreaking purposes and then @Hartford for 2.
That schedule is no joke. Despite the good record, I think the jury is still at least a little bit out on us. This should be a good barometer.

Also nice to get at least one game against every team, which did not look like it would happen. Now let’s just keep all of the teams on the court for a few weeks in a row here.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That schedule is no joke. Despite the good record, I think the jury is still at least a little bit out on us. This should be a good barometer.

Also nice to get at least one game against every team, which did not look like it would happen. Now let’s just keep all of the teams on the court for a few weeks in a row here.
Agreed on all counts. Very interested to see how UVM does against the top squads, should be an excellent measuring stick as they head towards March.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Just saw on the news. UVM has reported 80 new Covid cases (is this correct?). I wonder how that will impact the remainder of the season.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Just saw on the news. UVM has reported 80 new Covid cases (is this correct?). I wonder how that will impact the remainder of the season.
If what you saw was the same as what I saw, it was 78 cases since the beginning of February. Given that is over 2+ weeks, I don't expect that it has much impact. If the team's Tier I personnel continue to test negative, the team will continue to play, regardless of the number of cases on campus. IMO

Since the team's last game is today, for quite a while, theoretically, the risk of someone getting the virus should be pretty low. For what it's worth, it appeared to me, watching the game last night that adherence to the mask policy was very consistent throughout the team. It was not so much earlier in the season.

681 - 700 of 740 Posts