Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

701 - 720 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
If what you saw was the same as what I saw, it was 78 cases since the beginning of February. Given that is over 2+ weeks, I don't expect that it has much impact. If the team's Tier I personnel continue to test negative, the team will continue to play, regardless of the number of cases on campus. IMO

Since the team's last game is today, for quite a while, theoretically, the risk of someone getting the virus should be pretty low. For what it's worth, it appeared to me, watching the game last night that adherence to the mask policy was very consistent throughout the team. It was not so much earlier in the season.
I also think I read somewhere that UVM caught these positive cases in students while they were quarantining so there should be little additional spread. I hope that is true.

Either way - its definitely 78 cases spread through the month because I watch the numbers daily and haven't seen a huge increase on any particular date. To the contrary, the numbers are generally falling. I hope the trend continues.

Missed the game last night because it was on ESPNU.

Has UVM ever used an 8 man rotation when it hasn't been due to injuries?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I also think I read somewhere that UVM caught these positive cases in students while they were quarantining so there should be little additional spread. I hope that is true.

Either way - its definitely 78 cases spread through the month because I watch the numbers daily and haven't seen a huge increase on any particular date. To the contrary, the numbers are generally falling. I hope the trend continues.

I think that we've seen short rotations in tight playoff games. Last night definitely felt like a playoff game.

UMBC is a very good team. They are coached very well. I think that caused Becker to keep the guys on the floor that he was most comfortable with.

It was interesting to me, in looking at the box score, Powell had the most minutes. I guess that speaks to how solid and reliable he's become.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I saw it on my way into the hospital this morning.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I don't know if anyone else picked this up on the broadcast today, but John Feinstein said that Becker told him Nick Fiorillo would be on scholarship next season. I think many of us suspected that might happen, but I don't recall that being officially reported anywhere previously?

Assuming our seniors move on, I believe that leaves the Cats with 1 available scholarship next year (with the pending additions of Alamutu and Guillory).

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't know if anyone else picked this up on the broadcast today, but John Feinstein said that Becker told him Nick Fiorillo would be on scholarship next season. I think many of us suspected that might happen, but I don't recall that being officially reported anywhere previously?

Assuming our seniors move on, I believe that leaves the Cats with 1 available scholarship next year (with the pending additions of Alamutu and Guillory).
I count 7 undergrad scholarship players, plus apparently Fiorillo, and 2 recruits, so that’s 10. Assuming Murphy and Mazzulla come back, which I am not sure of but would like to see, that’s 12, leaving one spot available, so maybe Patella. Shungu has been great, but 5 years is enough. And I’m guessing Smith moves on, but just a hunch.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I count 7 undergrad scholarship players, plus apparently Fiorillo, and 2 recruits, so that’s 10. Assuming Murphy and Mazzulla come back, which I am not sure of but would like to see, that’s 12, leaving one spot available, so maybe Patella. Shungu has been great, but 5 years is enough. And I’m guessing Smith moves on, but just a hunch.
Yeah, my calculation accounted for....

-Nobody transferring
-Mazzulla and Murphy both coming back (as I believe both would likely have eligibility next season under normal circumstances anyway)
-None of the true senior trio (Smith/Shungu/Patella) returning, which is my position of record right now.

Worth noting: If one of those three were to return, they would not count toward UVM's 13 scholarship limit next season as far as the NCAA is concerned. UVM can obviously set its own limits, both at the administrative budget level (i.e. are we willing to fund more than 13 scholarships?) and the coaching level (does Becker want/need more than 13 guys on scholarship, considering we might not play more than 8-9 a night anyway?)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Or Canada...if you count Lake Ontario as a "sea." :)
I think that Stef has the potential for a substantial career in European pro ball. I've always thought that playing in Europe, at a level that allows you to cover your living expenses through hoops, must be one of the greatest lifestyles on Earth for a young guy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When Stef plays overseas, I hope he can make more than living expenses. I know that pro possibilities out there are hit and miss.

·
Registered
91 Posts

-Nobody transferring
-Mazzulla and Murphy both coming back (as I believe both would likely have eligibility next season under normal circumstances anyway)
-None of the true senior trio (Smith/Shungu/Patella) returning, which is my position of record right now.

Worth noting: If one of those three were to return, they would not count toward UVM's 13 scholarship limit next season as far as the NCAA is concerned. UVM can obviously set its own limits, both at the administrative budget level (i.e. are we willing to fund more than 13 scholarships?) and the coaching level (does Becker want/need more than 13 guys on scholarship, considering we might not play more than 8-9 a night anyway?)
Believe all will be back except maybe Smith. Shungu lives in Burlington only has had 4 year academics. Patella has already stated he probably back!
On 2nd game at umbc. Announcer mentioned he had talked to both coaches and they both expected all of their seniors to come back.
Obviously it's 2021 who knows what the heck will happen!

·
Registered
795 Posts

-Nobody transferring

Oh ok, didn’t realize they would not count against limit. As you noted, not sure if UVM would fund 14-15 scholarships, their discretion.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Oh ok, didn’t realize they would not count against limit. As you noted, not sure if UVM would fund 14-15 scholarships, their discretion.
For anyone interested, the exemption to the 13-scholarship limit only applies in 2021-22 to 5th-year players playing at their existing institution. So, handy hypothetical examples...

*If Bailey Patella wants to play a 5th year for UVM in 2021-22, he would not count against UVM's 13 scholarships.
*If Obadiah Noel wants to transfer from Lowell to UVM and play a 5th year in 2021-22, he would count against UVM's 13 scholarships.
*If Ryan Davis wants to play a 5th year for UVM in 2022-23, he would count against UVM's 13 scholarships.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Yeah, I’ve been always operating under the assumption everyone is going to be back, rather then not going to be back. Makes too much sense not to and this year is hardly an actual “season” for anyone, let alone the seniors and two grad guys.

Any game played this season is basically just bonus basketball.

701 - 720 of 740 Posts