Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

721 - 740 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
As an aside, I hope everyone who stays for a 5th year maximizes the academic opportunity. For example, Sam Dingba, Ev Duncan and other student atheltes have earned Masters degrees after redshirting for transfer, injury or depth reasons.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
Thinking ahead and assuming there is an NIT, would UVM or UMBC get an invitation as co-champ? Would both if a third teams wins the AE tourney?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Assuming they retain the historical format, I believe UMBC is the only team that would be eligible for an auto. Our next loss is the end of the road I think.
Believe I read earlier this week that the current tentative plan is to downsize the NIT to 16 teams this year, so not sure any AQs will be getting in anyway.

Agreed that it seems the next loss will be the last of the 20-21 season.

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
Thinking ahead and assuming there is an NIT, would UVM or UMBC get an invitation as co-champ? Would both if a third teams wins the AE tourney?
Historically it would go the conference #1 Seed when there are co-champs, so UMBC.

My understanding is the NIT may only have 16 teams at MSG, in which case doubt the AE is involved in being one of those 16 teams.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
It is funny that we started the year with "how will we play all these guys" and now, I think there are really only two bench players Becker truly trusts (Duncan and Patella)

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
Neither Fiorillo and Murphy could play D without fouling in that game.
Let's be honest, neither can play defense without fouling....in any game. They lack lateral quickness and strength. Fiorillo at least looks like he could get stronger. Murphy looks like he's skipped every leg day since he was old enough to lift. I've never seen someone fall down so much on a basketball court that wasn't intentional.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For anyone interested, the exemption to the 13-scholarship limit only applies in 2021-22 to 5th-year players playing at their existing institution. So, handy hypothetical examples...

*If Bailey Patella wants to play a 5th year for UVM in 2021-22, he would not count against UVM's 13 scholarships.
*If Obadiah Noel wants to transfer from Lowell to UVM and play a 5th year in 2021-22, he would count against UVM's 13 scholarships.
*If Ryan Davis wants to play a 5th year for UVM in 2022-23, he would count against UVM's 13 scholarships.
And as the last hypothetical--say Stef Smith transfers to Syracuse (just as an example...high-major where he could get meaningful playing time, very close to Toronto) as a fifth-year grad student, however he would count towards 'Cuse's 13-man limit, correct?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
And as the last hypothetical--say Stef Smith transfers to Syracuse (just as an example...high-major where he could get meaningful playing time, very close to Toronto) as a fifth-year grad student, however he would count towards 'Cuse's 13-man limit, correct?
Correct. The Obi Noel example would apply here: Syracuse would not be able to exempt Smith's scholarship because he is not an existing Syracuse player this season.

·
U of AZ 72
93 Posts
Neither Fiorillo and Murphy could play D without fouling in that game.
Yes , it took Fiorillo no time to pick up 2 fouls but Becker seems to see something in him as he did Powell when he wasn't living up to the expectations. He was right about Shungu also. Hope he is right on Fiorillo. Wonder if Murphy still isn't healthy

·
Registered
703 Posts
Fiorillo has some good aspects to his game, but it would help if he plays closer to his size.

He has more turnovers than rebounds this season and averages a foul every four minutes. We have a good track record of improvement in the bigs, so he should get there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's true that Murphy needs to increase his rebounds and decrease his fouls. But to give credit where credit's due, Murphy is the most accurate 3-point shooter and FT shooter on the team (93% from the line!), and his points per minute are very close to Ryan Davis's. There's some good stuff to work with there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What do you mean about having four years of academics? This is his fifth year (with the redshirt year), right? Did he practice as a redshirt without being enrolled in school?
Are you sure he red shirted his freshman year? Lots of freshman practice as walk-ons. Uvm has at least 2 on this year's roster who have been practicing for a couple of years and are not red shirted. Almost all div 1 schools have players who are on team practice for their whole career and don't have a red shirt year.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Are you sure he red shirted his freshman year? Lots of freshman practice as walk-ons. Uvm has at least 2 on this year's roster who have been practicing for a couple of years and are not red shirted. Almost all div 1 schools have players who are on team practice for their whole career and don't have a red shirt year.
Ben Shungu has been on the UVM basketball team for 5 seasons. He did not play the first year, then played in each of the following 4 seasons. Here he is as a fresh-faced teen on the 2016-17 roster...

I don't know what his academic schedule has been like over that time. But he's been enrolled at UVM for 5 years.

721 - 740 of 740 Posts