Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
UVM will be so loaded that Becker could play using random numbers and still win. I'd like to see Garrison and Dieng get into games earlier. To me, Fiorello looks like a multi-minute player who will get floor time but I would like everyone to get something meaningful even if they are height-deprived (as I am). When you're up by 25...
Let's not be surprised to see Fiorillo at the 3. He played guard/forward in high school, brings greater length than Everett. No clue how tough he is defensively, but he, presumably has a decent shot, has a year under his belt learning the system, looks to have grown from his listed 6'7" in HS and certainly seems to be 'engaged' as a team member. I say, "dark horse contributor".

Also, with all the talk about the various guards Vermont now has, few are mentioning Eric Becket. He has one of the sweetest releases on his shot on the team, and with more conditioning and learning the Vermont system, could he be a factor playing the 2 or 3??

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Let's not be surprised to see Fiorillo at the 3. He played guard/forward in high school, brings greater length than Everett. No clue how tough he is defensively, but he, presumably has a decent shot, has a year under his belt learning the system, looks to have grown from his listed 6'7" in HS and certainly seems to be 'engaged' as a team member. I say, "dark horse contributor".

Also, with all the talk about the various guards Vermont now has, few are mentioning Eric Becket. He has one of the sweetest releases on his shot on the team, and with more conditioning and learning the Vermont system, could he be a factor playing the 2 or 3??
This whole Fiorillo love reminds me of when people were fawning over Nas Williams for reasons beyond comprehension. If he manages to actually contribute in some way that's great but like Beckett, we have to see. I really do not think this guy is some secret weapon that UVM is going to expose on the league next year. I really don't even think he'll even reach the 40 minute mark in total minutes played next year. Also, Beckett couldn't get on the court last year. He was behind some good players and going into next year I'd say he's still behind them.

Break it down to what you know based on clearly defined roles:
- Stef Smith
-Ben Shungu
-Ryan Davis
-Bailey Patella

Some of these guys also are going to be called upon to up their game (Davis and defense/rebounding, Patella outside shooting/more offense)

Then you have what you figure will play a role, but absolutely needs improvement/meeting potential to replace the departing production:
-Aaron Deloney
-Robin Duncan
-Isaiah Powell

Everything else? It's a question mark.
-Tomas Murphy - based on numbers should figure into the equation, fills a need...but we don't truly know. I think last years transfers should teach us to proceed with caution on placing expectations on any newcomer into the program regardless of freshman or transfer status.
-Justin Mazzulla - same as Murphy
-Duncan Demuth - actually need to see something from him to determine if he's even part of any equation moving forward
-Eric Beckett - limited run, needs leaps and bounds of improvement to crack a rotation
-Georges Lefebvre - freshman, nobody really knows
-Every walk on: thanks for the practice, anything meaningful in games is a bonus.

Not everyone can be an all-star next year, folks. Some gotta wait their turn or we have to understand they aren't playing for a reason.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This whole Fiorillo love reminds me of when people were fawning over Nas Williams for reasons beyond comprehension.
The difference between Fiorillo and Nas Williams is that we at least saw Nas Williams play 1 game against a D1 team where he played really well. We don't even have that with Fiorillo. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't know where this hidden Nick Fiorillo talent assessment is coming from.

Some guys overachieve. Some guys underachieve. Most end up being exactly what coaches thought they'd be.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
^^^ Ditto what Catpower said. (Although I think Robin is pretty established too, we know what we'll get - defense, rebounds, passing, ball handling, finish at rim)

Maybe Murphy will be Peyton Henson 2017. Maybe he'll be DeMuth 2020. Likely in between

·
Premium Member
33,131 Posts
Any update on NCAA and what it will do for winter athletes that lost out NCAA?

In particular, curious what’s going on with Lamb right now. There’s really no NBA draft activities for him to prepare for, so wonder what he’s up to.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Any update on NCAA and what it will do for winter athletes that lost out NCAA?

In particular, curious what’s going on with Lamb right now. There’s really no NBA draft activities for him to prepare for, so wonder what he’s up to.
It wasn't funny the first 7 times you wrote it.

Edit: Just want to add quickly here:
1) It's highly unlikely the NCAA grants waivers to seniors who played full seasons. I know you know that.

2)Even if it's a joke, I personally don't think it's funny especially when there's a lot of impressionable UVM fans on here, and out in the community so even speaking to this issue and providing false hope, whether it's a coping mechanism or not, that's lame. We're all here to cope/co-miserate, but it's time to move on, as much as that sucks.

3) The NBA has scouts who watched/have tape/probably will find a way to continue their process. Portsmouth would have helped Lamb sure, but he can't sit around and wait for the process to come to him, he needs and agent and might have already agreed to sign with one. Can't idle around when there still are conversations and things that can be done during the draft process.

4) I'm honestly not sure Lamb could even afford another year of eligibility. Most are aware his mom is working class and has made a lot of sacrifices to make sure she can attend her son's games. Given the nature of this pandemic, her job could be vulnerable. Not all of us are lucky enough to be able to say our jobs won't be impacted and we can just work from home like you, me and probably most others on here might be. Add in the fact that even before COVID-19 came along I believe Anthony has had a mission to look after/care for his mom and brother through his basketball career professionally. With what's going on now, it's really tough to ask someone to come back to school especially when we don't know how much this could impact his life off the court.

5) Now, if anyone wants to talk about 2020-21 again, I'm here for it. Apologies for potentially bringing this off the rails, but I feel like this point should be adequetely addressed.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Well, apologies if you're not joking about this. I guess given the thread on relief which I'm now browsing, you've made your accessment of it clear. I will disagree and call that unproductive, and borderline unhealthy. Posts like these below I got the impression you were joking about this issue:

You may see above, as I edited and fleshed out my response to this. Hopefully you consider these viewpoints.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Everyone relax. These are trying times.

Some people are having a harder time than others. Can we just treat people with respect here? I get that some people may not think this virus is a huge deal - it is. You are free to think otherwise. But, just try to put yourself in the shoes of someone with asthma how scary this would be.

Please try to be respectful even if you don agree. Lets help each other get through this and not jump on each other and make assumptions.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sounds like you are looking to start a fight. If you are suffering from cabin fever, perhaps a walk outside (observing social distancing, of course) would do you some good.
I most certainly was not. But, I've become rather used to people believing that of me here and allowing another poster's unchecked domineering and know-it-all behavior to go by in a "civility" effort. Life isn't civil, everyone. Sorry to break that to you.

I simply felt UVM HC was being quite disingenuous with that comment and had built up a portfolio of similar comments in the past week, but I guess I was wrong and misread his intent, as he pointed out in his one-word reply. He's serious, insofar as I can tell, or that is at least what he would like to imply in an effort to "own" or "bait" me, and to of course like clockwork, make someone like me who certainly tried to get my point across in a manner that I felt was clear and respectful, only to have the "civility" talks come out from others based on previous interactions between myself and UVM HC.

I don't believe that UVM HC's statements regarding Lamb returning is a healthy or a well-conceived thought. I said as much. It's up to him to live with that. I offered my viewpoint, which I'll repeat: to sit there and say Anthony Lamb should be waiting around wanting to come back to school for an extra year of eligibility we all know he's not going to be granted in these "trying times" as everyone likes to point out, given that the Lamb family could be facing a mighty struggle more so than you, me, or many others here who likely have the privilege and means to actually get through this pandemic as we have job security, a solid living situation, and can ensure that others we care for have food on the table all while we are also able to "afford" to social distance ourselves from others. Working-class families like the Lamb family and many others potentially cannot safely say that. Anthony Lamb has been very clear he wants his basketball career to help provide for his family, so I feel asking him to defer potential future earnings playing basketball, or should the pandemic not allow that in the immediate future, use his UVM degree which he has already earned to get a job to make sure he and his family's economic situation is stable is selfish. I think we all could benefit from moving on and relying less on selfish thoughts that don't consider someone and their family's livelihood are at stake because you want to see them commit another free year of their talents to your basketball team.

I feel this was adequately addressed the first time, but I am happy to have reiterated it here so that you and others to not misunderstand my point or intentions. Thank you for your concern and care, I am managing well at the moment, I hope you and everyone else are too.

Please, let's resume regular discussion about the potential 2020-21 season.

·
Premium Member
33,131 Posts
Anyways, I found the answer to my own question. It sounds like the NCAA is voting March 30th on Spring sport eligibility and winter sport senior eligibility- eligibility relief for students that had their seasons cut short or canceled due to coronavirus.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've also thought that Beckett probably has more to offer than he's had a chance to display, but with five other solid backcourt options in '20-'21, Smith's and Shungu's senior season would be a timely opportunity for him to consider a redshirt year.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Here's something 2020-21 related. Schedule?

Looking at our non-conference opponents from last year, I'm guessing...

*We WILL See...
-Home game with Bucknell (return from this season)
-Road game with UNCG (return from this season)
-Home game with Dartmouth (return game until the end of time)

*We MIGHT See...
-Road game with Boston U. (local rival, possible extension of series)
-Home game with Yale (see: BU, and we have played them 13-straight seasons)
-A sub-D1 team (but not Gallaudet)

*We WON'T See...
-St. Bonaventure (original series has run its course)
-St. John's (but will see an "up game" in its place)
-Virginia (see: St. John's)
-Central Connecticut (part of tourney...but regional, so anything's possible)
-Rider (see: CCSU)
-Cincinnati (see: St. John's, though we'll see how many paydays we chase with this team taking a step back)
-Towson (see: probably St. Bona)
-Lipscomb (see: St. Bona)
-George Washington (see: St. Bona)

Beyond that: maybe back in an in-season tournament again this year (especially with the new AE partnership with the tournament in Jamaica...as there been any talk of who the AE representative will be this year?). Will there be an effort to get a "home" game for Stef Smith at one of the Buffalo-area schools (no need to consider scheduling for Shungu or Patella, obviously).

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beyond that: maybe back in an in-season tournament again this year (especially with the new AE partnership with the tournament in Jamaica...as there been any talk of who the AE representative will be this year?). Will there be an effort to get a "home" game for Stef Smith at one of the Buffalo-area schools (no need to consider scheduling for Shungu or Patella, obviously).
I have no info, but if UVM has exhausted its Buffalo-area options (could easily see along with Bonaventure the likes of Buffalo, Canisius and Niagara still not wanting to play a solid UVM team and potentially taking an L.)...Toronto is about 4 hours from Detroit. Ann Arbor is outside Detroit. Lansing isn't too far away there. Apparently some pretty, pretty good basketball teams play in that area. Not ideal for the Smith fam in terms of distance, but it's within 4-5 hours instead of 7-8. I think it's fair to say the other big western NY team that's within 4 hours of Toronto will not be putting UVM on the schedule ever, so I say look (further) west of Burlington.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Is that something that the Cats have typically done?
When they can. It's not always feasible, or teams from that area aren't too keen on playing a team they might lose to. The Duncan brothers got lucky that Louisville, Cincinnati and Kentucky are all not far from where they grew up. Lamb was the catalyst for the St. Bonaventure series. A few years back they went out to USC and UC Santa Barbara because they had a player (Hector Harold) from SoCal.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No more D3, please!!!!!

I wonder if an trip to play Oregon schools was floated to AD when he was recruited? Maybe too early in his career to have that happen, but a Pacific NW trip would be something different. As would a Colorado trip, if anyone with the authority is reading this.

61 - 80 of 269 Posts