Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Is that something that the Cats have typically done?
You don't remember Sam Dingba's homecoming game last year against Yaounde A&M? :)

Basically what catpower said. If they can figure it out the logistics it's a nice gesture to kids who live far away. Generally with our recruiting patterns, it may only be noticeable/applicable with a handful of kids (Isaiah Powell already gets two trips a year!).

Obviously the target group is seniors, but depending on the circumstances anyone is kind of fair game at this point. You may only have one chance to get to Oregon (as suggested), or limited openings against the Chicago area (Ryan Davis...although one would think that one would be easier based on school volume and ease of commercial air travel) so anything's really on the table in any given year.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Here's something I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet...I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but is it possible that by having the season end when it did, that it increased the chances of Becker still coaching for UVM next year? Let's say that UVM did make it to the tourney (not a foregone conclusion), and UVM made a good showing against whatever power conference team they were seeded against, doesn't Becker get some pretty serious looks to double his salary???

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Here's something I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet...I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but is it possible that by having the season end when it did, that it increased the chances of Becker still coaching for UVM next year? Let's say that UVM did make it to the tourney (not a foregone conclusion), and UVM made a good showing against whatever power conference team they were seeded against, doesn't Becker get some pretty serious looks to double his salary???
It defintely helped. Last year in total there were 57 coaching changes either via firing/resignation + domino effects when all was said and done. This year there's 20, and seems pretty unlikely that list is going to grow much more. Thinking the BCs, Fordhams, George Masons, DePauls, Minnesotas, and even the Binghamtons of the world held off making a move. And that's not accounting for any potential NCAA performance UVM coukld have had either that could have boosted Becker's stock.

Lucky us.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The current circumstances have increased his chances of returning exponentially, I would imagine. Less because of the showcase Becker potentially missed out on, and more because (as discussed over in the coaching thread) A LOT of ADs are staying the course on guys they may not be in love with because of all the uncertainty/more challenging responsibilities on their plates/potential freezes on funds/you name it.

I know it's not even April, but the season has been over for 2 weeks now. No jobs have opened up yet in the Power 7* leagues (Power 5, Big East, AAC), and only 3 in true multi-bid leagues (Air Force, Wyoming, Loyola Marymount). Can't have a domino effect without dominos.

The caveat on all Becker projections over the years has been "...depending on what jobs open up." And UVM is being dealt a very favorable hand right now (all things considered, of course).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here's something 2020-21 related. Schedule?

Looking at our non-conference opponents from last year, I'm guessing...

*We WILL See...
-Home game with Bucknell (return from this season)
-Road game with UNCG (return from this season)
-Home game with Dartmouth (return game until the end of time)

*We MIGHT See...
-Road game with Boston U. (local rival, possible extension of series)
-Home game with Yale (see: BU, and we have played them 13-straight seasons)
-A sub-D1 team (but not Gallaudet)

*We WON'T See...
-St. Bonaventure (original series has run its course)
-St. John's (but will see an "up game" in its place)
-Virginia (see: St. John's)
-Central Connecticut (part of tourney...but regional, so anything's possible)
-Rider (see: CCSU)
-Cincinnati (see: St. John's, though we'll see how many paydays we chase with this team taking a step back)
-Towson (see: probably St. Bona)
-Lipscomb (see: St. Bona)
-George Washington (see: St. Bona)

Beyond that: maybe back in an in-season tournament again this year (especially with the new AE partnership with the tournament in Jamaica...as there been any talk of who the AE representative will be this year?). Will there be an effort to get a "home" game for Stef Smith at one of the Buffalo-area schools (no need to consider scheduling for Shungu or Patella, obviously).
Bucknell was a three year contract, not a home-and-home. I doubt we’ll see that on the schedule next year. I’d say there’s a much better chance at seeing Bonaventure extend for a home-and-home than Bucknell. It seemed like Bonaventure respected us a lot more and a got the feeling both sides (at least certainly the fan bases, but coaching staff too) appreciated the series.

Now, if Bonaventure is able to fill their November schedule up with all those neutral court tournaments like a lot of other A10 schools (big tv $$) I don’t think they’ll find a spot for us. For whatever reason the upper-end of the A10 and MWC is in that sweet spot where they don’t have a need (or resources) for home “buy games”, but have slightly more relevant brands that they get invited to those early-season nationally-televised “feast week” tournaments. Makes it tough for UVM to schedule with those schools which is why i get so excited when Becker is able to schedule the UNCGs, etc.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The current circumstances have increased his chances of returning exponentially, I would imagine. Less because of the showcase Becker potentially missed out on, and more because (as discussed over in the coaching thread) A LOT of ADs are staying the course on guys they may not be in love with because of all the uncertainty/more challenging responsibilities on their plates/potential freezes on funds/you name it.

I know it's not even April, but the season has been over for 2 weeks now. No jobs have opened up yet in the Power 7* leagues (Power 5, Big East, AAC), and only 3 in true multi-bid leagues (Air Force, Wyoming, Loyola Marymount). Can't have a domino effect without dominos.

The caveat on all Becker projections over the years has been "...depending on what jobs open up." And UVM is being dealt a very favorable hand right now (all things considered, of course).
Yeah I think this post hit it on the head exactly. Just not sure there will be enough movement upstream now given the lack of a tournament and not to mention the financial implications for mid major teams as a result. I've certainly got nothing wrong with another year of Becker at the helm.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
This is a bummer to even consider, but I have been studying projections of the coronavirus and it looks like it may well not peak until after August 1, if we are lucky and do manage to flatten the curve. There is also probably going to be a significant uptick in cases in the fall. No school at all in the fall seems very likely.

I spent over 40 years developing mathematical models and I've examined 4 so far regarding this epidemic and none of them makes any outrageous assumptions or uses goofy variables. If they are correct, no basketball will be the least of our concerns. Since the testing in the US has been so weak it's hard to know the true situation, but the range of US fatalities in 2020 that are predicted is over 2 million, best case.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Bucknell was a three year contract, not a home-and-home.
Interesting. I'm a little surprised we'd do a 2-for-1 with them as opposed to a home-and-home. Bona I get, especially when one wasn't even a true road game. But getting a worse deal with Bucknell is...weird.

·
Premium Member
33,131 Posts
Think Becker returning due to Coronavirus is a near certainty at this point. Need jobs to be open and with no NCAA Tournament/no Final Four where a lot of that gets done and schools being closed for rest of year will make it tough to leave.

I’m on to Becker returning as being near certainty, but the biggest question mark is what Coronavirus has done to the new arena project. Have to imagine that’s come to a screeching halt like everything else. Anyone know what will happen there?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also, the financial situation will be a disaster next fall for colleges. You will see many colleges close in the fall, accelerating a trend that was already happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,131 Posts
Yeah, I didn’t really know what latest/how far they had gotten along with the project before the pandemic occurred.

Probably a better question for Tarrant family investment manager then UVM athletics, at this point in time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I’m on to Becker returning as being near certainty, but the biggest question mark is what Coronavirus has done to the new arena project. Have to imagine that’s come to a screeching halt like everything else. Anyone know what will happen there?
Yeah, based on the webcam it looks like there are just a handful of workers cleaning up the work site, getting it ready for hibernation mode. Terrible timing as it seemed like they were finally making good progress and spring is such a crucial time for construction in Vermont given how short the "construction season" is compared to more temperate states. Governor Scott's lockdown begins at 5pm tonight so they have to wrap up activity by then (it's not called that, but it's essentially what Cuomo has in NY and much more severe/restrictive than what Baker has in Mass).

I'd wonder if they do some cost engineering to take out some of the costly frills in the current design (like the massive east-facing glass curtain wall that looks over to Camel's Hump, and replace with much cheaper steal and concrete...I know some folks here weren't fans of the glass wall to begin with, but I can assure you that is a SIGNIFICANT cost driver compared to a steal/concrete alternative). Thankfully we're at a point where its too late to pull the plug on the project in its entirety, but perhaps things like the Gut's renovations and the new student rec/wellness center will be downsized given how tight UVM's finances (and all US colleges) will likely be in the near-term.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Yeah, based on the webcam it looks like there are just a handful of workers cleaning up the work site, getting it ready for hibernation mode. Terrible timing as it seemed like they were finally making good progress and spring is such a crucial time for construction in Vermont given how short the "construction season" is compared to more temperate states. Governor Scott's lockdown begins at 5pm tonight so they have to wrap up activity by then (it's not called that, but it's essentially what Cuomo has in NY and much more severe/restrictive than what Baker has in Mass).

I'd wonder if they do some cost engineering to take out some of the costly frills in the current design (like the massive east-facing glass curtain wall that looks over to Camel's Hump, and replace with much cheaper steal and concrete...I know some folks here weren't fans of the glass wall to begin with, but I can assure you that is a SIGNIFICANT cost driver compared to a steal/concrete alternative). Thankfully we're at a point where its too late to pull the plug on the project in its entirety, but perhaps things like the Gut's renovations and the new student rec/wellness center will be downsized given how tight UVM's finances (and all US colleges) will likely be in the near-term.
Never mind...looks like you're right. They're shutting down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there any vidio on Murphy. A friend of mine from the Boston area said, he does not know why he transferred, but will be an impact player for UVM and should easily lead the team to another EA championship...

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the transfer of Tomas Murphy from Northeastern, where does this put Davis? Murphy is 6' 8", was a 3-4 star recruit, top ranked PF/C, highly athletic, great post moves, and can shoot the 3 as well.

Seems like Murphy is an upgrade over what Davis can provide. Solid 10ppg, 3reb, 1.5 ast with crazy good efficiency. Davis stays as a UVM's valued 6th man? Looks like Billy Donovan was scouting him in his sophomore year. Yuge get for the cats.

Here ya go. Posted these when he first announced his transfer.

·
Premium Member
33,131 Posts
Murphy is definitely a quality add, but I’d temper any expectations that he’s going to lead us to the NCAA Tournament by virtue of his arrival.

He’s a skilled, legit post player which is almost non-existent in this conference these days. That alone will mean something; he may already be the best big man in the conference next year without spending a lot of time looking. That all being said, I think his upside is something probably close to Ethan O’Day numbers, which is pretty good like 11/5.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I temper any ethuaisasm for Murphy with the difficulty it takes for a big to learn the defense. Again, I am hoping for Peyton Henson 2017 not Duncan DeMuth 2020. (PH had a redshirt year to learn the system)

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Murphy is definitely a quality add, but I’d temper any expectations that he’s going to lead us to the NCAA Tournament by virtue of his arrival.

He’s a skilled, legit post player which is almost non-existent in this conference these days. That alone will mean something; he may already be the best big man in the conference next year without spending a lot of time looking. That all being said, I think his upside is something probably close to Ethan O’Day numbers, which is pretty good like 11/5.
Did you just copy your Demuth post from last year and change the name? We all know by now that any player that commits to UVM is an instant star...at least until the season arrives. There is a LOT of history of similar hype. Normal folks don't say things like he may be already the best big in the conference without seeing him suit up a single time.

Here is you on Demuth 11 months ago or so..."There's not much footage from Oklahoma State because I don't think he really played/did much. From what I can tell looks like the classic case of a kid choosing the wrong level out of HS. His quickness and athleticism at 6'8'' looks like he'll go right by and around AE bigs with ease. Going from Big12 to AE as far as the front court play is concerned couldn't possibly be any more dramatic in overall size/ speed and talent.

I suspect he's bigger than he was two years ago especially since spending a year at a Big12 school. "

I mean who knows, maybe you'll be right lol...Demuth basically blew as an AE player, couldn't grasp the system and had a horrible season. So much for going right by AE bigs. 1ppg, 1rbp on 30% from the field. With a career full of DNP's in one season. If I were you'd I'd temper my hype but it wouldn't be the off-season without you making a superstar out of a guy who most likely will be an afterthought. Odd are, it will take him some time to find his stride, learn system etc.

LOL...I'm sorry if this is harsh but

81 - 100 of 269 Posts