Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
and don't be surprised if DeMuth breaks out in 2021...
Why? I'll be surprised. Let's face it, kid stunk in his first go-around. People assume far to often that just because a guy drops down from a higher level that it will translate to something spectacular. It can with hard work but it's not a guaranteed. With that being said, this kid should be pretty good at some point and help UVM.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Another example...Giddens. I recall the hype...he turned out to be a nice complimentary piece/role player. How many folks here who read the posts about how he was going to DOMINATE the AE walked away after this season saying wow...that guy was a force? Just curious. Again, he had a nice season but not without his struggles IMO.

Again, there as so much hype about him, please don't say there wasn't. How many All-AE teams did Giddens get on?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It's the off season...everyone is wearing their school colored glasses.

Your point is on the money. First year transfers don't usually over achieve at UVM. With that being said...he looks good on papers...what else do we have to talk about?

Maybe he'll be good. As a UVM fan, I'm excited about every player that comes in. :)

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
It's the off season...everyone is wearing their school colored glasses.

Your point is on the money. First year transfers don't usually over achieve at UVM. With that being said...he looks good on papers...what else do we have to talk about?

Maybe he'll be good. As a UVM fan, I'm excited about every player that comes in. :)
Fair enough...I submit that my post may have been a bit harsh lol. But I swear, we can rinse and repeat every year. My sense is it happens A LOT with UVM fans.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
You're not wrong...it does. Some folks never learn...
I'm probably just cranky...Albany right now is not a competitive program and hasn't been for 2 years. Going into next year, difficult to project but at best probably marginal improvement...maybe.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
My biggest surprise last year, far-and-away, was that Duncan Demuth played fewer minutes this season with UVM than he did his freshman year at Okie State. I could never have guessed that.

On one hand, I thought there was a chance he could be a 5th-7th kinda guy: fringe starter, but consistent role player. Very wrong, that's on me.

But I also said, before he got his waiver, that he would benefit greatly from his RS year and be ready for the post-Lamb era that was ahead of him. I remember the collective reaction was in line with "Why would an Oklahoma State transfer need a RS year?" Well...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Fair enough...I submit that my post may have been a bit harsh lol. But I swear, we can rinse and repeat every year. My sense is it happens A LOT with UVM fans.
To be fair to us over zealous UVM fans... The success over the last 20 years shows we've been right to hype our players coming in. Obviously not all will hit.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bosiy, the situations are just totally different. If you're mentioning Murphy, the guy proved himself as a high-level player at Northeastern. He played good minutes and had good stats to boot. He had great efficiency (which I'm most excited about). With giddens and demuth, they came from situations where they were hyped before college, but never proved it at the next level. Murphy is a guy who has done well in the college setting AND has NCAA tournament experience.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I think DeMuth will be better, maybe breaks out b-c UVM develops players extremely well

Look at DrewU, Rohrer, Shungu, Dingba, Patella, even Payen...each started off not being good enough to get any time, ended as a valuable piece or better

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Bosiy, the situations are just totally different. If you're mentioning Murphy, the guy proved himself as a high-level player at Northeastern. He played good minutes and had good stats to boot. He had great efficiency (which I'm most excited about). With giddens and demuth, they came from situations where they were hyped before college, but never proved it at the next level. Murphy is a guy who has done well in the college setting AND has NCAA tournament experience.
I agree in that I think Murphy has a better chance to be a contributor then most out of the gate but I'm not ready to anoint him the best big in the AE just yet. I've seen way to many kids come in and do nothing...maybe it was because of no talent or inability to grasp system etc.

Murhpy is helped by the fact that UVM has little proven inside outside of Davis so I don't know if Becker is going to have the luxury to sit him if he screws up. Becker doesn't always have the longest leash but that's easy to do when you have a horse in Lamb out there anchoring your front line. I suspect he's going to have to let some kids play through some stuff, especially upfront.

I've heard good things about Murphy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A couple thoughts after seeing the news that Bernie André is coming to UVM next year:

-Does Davis come over the bench again?

-Is Bernie Cieplicki now 3rd in the VT Bernie rankings?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
A couple thoughts after seeing the news that Bernie André is coming to UVM next year:

-Does Davis come over the bench again?

-Is Bernie Cieplicki now 3rd in the VT Bernie rankings?
Davis is your starting center.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid

·
Registered
341 Posts
I thought Davis would be coming off the bench when Murphy transfered.

UVM could go with some LARGE all guard lineups with a mixture of AD, Robin D, Shungu, Mazzulla, Smith, and Bernie.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think Demuth will be fine. As everyone mentioned, very few Vermont players are great in year 1. I have really high hopes for Tomas Murphy, he definitely will be a big contributor, as he was at Northeastern.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think Demuth will be fine. As everyone mentioned, very few Vermont players are great in year 1. I have really high hopes for Tomas Murphy, he definitely will be a big contributor, as he was at Northeastern.
On paper, the VCATS are reloading. We will see how the chemistry comes together, how the newer guys buy into the centerpiece of Vermont hoops: defense. But the introduction of a proven big and wing are really exciting.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Right now IMO Vermont clear front runner again. I thought SBU would take a run at pre-season #1 but now with them losing talent and Becker snagging two good grad transfers and a GW kid. Waiting to see what Odem does...Obviously with the expectations of them picking up system etc. At worst, this is a top 2 or 3 team..at worst.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
I’d be thrilled with 5/5 from Mazzulla and 9/6 from Murphy. Those seem like pretty reasonable hopes. Demuth hopefully becomes someone that can be in the rotation.

Andre looks intriguing.

101 - 120 of 306 Posts