Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
I'm surprised that there's doubt on this discussion forum about Ryan Davis' role next year. I think that after Stef's, Ryan' role is the clearest one on the team. He's the starting low post player. In fact, he may be the only legitimate low post player on the roister - Murphy doesn't rebound much at all. Despite being named Sixth Man of the Year, Ryan was only technically a reserve this year - he played 20 minutes a game while the starter at center played under 15. He was third on the team in scoring. He shot 53% from the field and 83% from the line. Over his last 15 games, he scored a dozen or more points nine times. His ability to finish at the rim was remarkably improved this year. Next year, Stef should, barring injury, be first-team all-conference and a candidate for AE Player of the Year but after him, IMO Ryan is probably the Cats' next best candidate for all-conference.
Agreed...really surprised as well. I thought he had a really nice season last year and started to really come into his own. My sense is by next season, his junior year Becker gonna get some stellar play out of him.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think it's highly unlikely that Powell starts over Andre and that's being generous to Powell. I think Powell is more of a 4 and Andre can be a 3 so I don't think they are even competing against each other for a spot. It would be Powell vs Murphy or Davis for the 4 and I don't see Powell beating either of them.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Having seen both a bunch, I think Murphy is a better low-post player than Davis is at this point in their careers. Davis is a better perimeter shooter.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: Murphy/Davis - UVM had this "problem" 3 years ago and they managed pretty well with Payton Henson and Drew Urquhart. One can only hope that with these two it's a repeat; and I think you can find a way to get both on the floor at the same time, play plenty of minutes and be effective enough to win basketball games. Murphy will need to get his feet wet in the system and we know that takes time, but he's got 2 years so I think it will be fine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am kind of excited about Andre. I watched a fair amount of Big Sky basketball this year, including several NAU games. I think that conference, while comparable to the AE, is slightly better top to bottom. While I focused mostly on Northern Colorado, I do recall Andre being a decent player in the games I watched. Should be a nice pickup for Becker if he picks up the system and there is chemistry with him and the rest of the team.

I did not watch any NU games, so I will defer to the rest of you on Murphy. To me Davis, is the starter until further notice. But having 2 bigs out there would not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know Murphy was out this year with an injury, does he have a history of lots of injuries?

I think Davis definitely earned his starting spot with the way he played this year. That being said, he was highly effective in his role he had this year, so maybe they’ll keep him in a similar situation?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Just a couple of quick thoughts:

1) I don't think the Davis/Murphy discussion is linear. I can definitely see playing them both at the same time.

2) For as much as Davis improved last year and turned into a vital piece of the puzzle, he still only played about 20mpg. There's still a jump there to be made before he's locked in as a sure-fire 30-35 mpg guy...so there will be room for others to fill in.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,712 Posts
Starters
5- Davis
4- Murphy
3- Andre
2- Smith
1- Shungu

Rotation
Patella
Powell
Duncan
Deloney
Mazzulla when eligible

Spot minutes
Lefebvre
Beckett
Demuth

·
Registered
775 Posts
I project
Starters: Davis, Powell, Patella, Smith , Shungu
Subs: Murphy, DeMuth, Andre, Duncan, Deloney
Unsure of roles of: Beckett (maybe a red shirt?), Mazzulla (when is he eligible?)

Need time to develop: Lefebvre (maybe a red shirt?), Fiorillo
I’m with catpower, I really don’t see a reason to redshirt anyone, especially guys already on the team. It worked with Everett, but in retrospect that was unique situation that worked out. Lefebvre is the only true Freshman.

It’s a whole new world. It wouldn’t shock me if 2-3 guys don’t return for various reasons. We’ll see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Graduate transfers are not too common. Hopefully Andre slips in like a missing puzzle piece. Who is the best grad transfer to come to UVM? D. Giddens, Sinnickson, Trey Blue?

BTW, when Trey joined the team as a grad transfer, Ryan Pierson transfered in from Northeastern.

Odd coincidence.

I'm stuck in this basketball season. Maybe because it was incomplete. I need Melinda Gordon to help me cross over.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m with catpower, I really don’t see a reason to redshirt anyone, especially guys already on the team. It worked with Everett, but in retrospect that was unique situation that worked out.
[/QUOTE]
I think that the reason to redshirt Beckett is that he appeared in fewer than half of this year's games because he was fifth on the guard depth chart - the four ahead of him are back next year and with the addition of Mazzulla, Beckett now drops to sixth among the guards. I think he has value to offer the program, and he'll have many more opportunities to offer it after Smith and Shungu graduate.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Graduate transfers are not too common. Hopefully Andre slips in like a missing puzzle piece. Who is the best grad transfer to come to UVM? D. Giddens, Sinnickson, Trey Blue?
Trey Blue out of that group most definitely. Giddens did what they needed in a bit role, and Sinnickson was just a free player who actually came in to get a grad degree at the Rubenstein School. I think Blue was very underappreciated when he was here. He maybe wasn't a total fit in terms of how they played back then but he was the only guy willing to try and score on those teams, particularly the finals against Albany that they lost, at points he felt like the only one out there trying to win it. I do feel UVM did him a bit dirty too. Becker was still a new head coach then (year 2/learning on the job, he's obviously come a long long way since then), but I'll always remember how then assistant Matt O'Brien deliberately took Trey's name out of a tweet from he and Luke Apfeld's prep school coach talking about how they had a good season. It was super petty. They've all but acted like Trey didn't exist after he left...those teams had serious, serious chemistry and locker room issues across the board, but even still. Guy came in and actually produced and helped the team stay afloat after it lost Matt Glass and Four McGlynn from a NCAA team. Trey is living in Miami now and helps out in the community running youth basketball and individual training clinics, in case anyone was wondering.

I will say Bernie Andre will come in with the most legitimate expectations as a one year guy because there's actual data that points to productivity from a peer league. The scale of hype will vary. You'll probably get the same folks who thought Giddens was going to be all-conference and not taller Dingba which he was thinking he might be POY, but most reasonable people will figure he's going to slot into the starting lineup and be among the team's top 3 scorers and rebounders, which I think is entirely fair.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
All 3 transfers have played meaningful minutes at prior stops and have tangible statistics/body of work. Very different from both Giddens and Demuth last year that played/contributed sparingly at Power 5 schools.

Andre most impressive of the group statistically from Northern Arizona, but even Mazzulla started every single game for GW in 18-19 and averaged 33mpg. He scored 8ppg and had 3.5 app- granted on a weak team, but that’s still a ton of experience at A10 level.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The more we talk about this and break it down, the more excited I am about the '20-'21 Cats. I had high expectations for this year's team based on the returnees and the additions of high-major transfers but as we saw, many opponents focused on shutting Lamb out of the offense and taking their chances on whether the supporting cast would step up. Next winter, who would you double-team? Look at the 10-11 man rotation cited in the posts above. Is there any chance that all of them have off-nights in the same game? There may not be a star other than Stef, but nearly every one of them could pop up and give you 15-20 points or more in a given game. The bench is deep enough that Vermont could have a real advantage in the final minutes of a lot of games when they've got a well-rested lineup on the floor against tiring opponents.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The more we talk about this and break it down, the more excited I am about the '20-'21 Cats. I had high expectations for this year's team based on the returnees and the additions of high-major transfers but as we saw, many opponents focused on shutting Lamb out of the offense and taking their chances on whether the supporting cast would step up. Next winter, who would you double-team? Look at the 10-11 man rotation cited in the posts above. Is there any chance that all of them have off-nights in the same game? There may not be a star other than Stef, but nearly every one of them could pop up and give you 15-20 points or more in a given game. The bench is deep enough that Vermont could have a real advantage in the final minutes of a lot of games when they've got a well-rested lineup on the floor against tiring opponents.
Agreed 100%. Now it all comes down to team chemistry

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
depth was a big part of 2019-2020's success too
Happens literally every year: depth is a concern in OOC b/c it’s early in the season/guys adjusting/earning Becker trust and then by the end of conference play you see a bunch of guys carve out roles and take big leaps-Davis, Patella, R. Duncan, Deloney a little bit come to mind this year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Joe Lunardi has Vermont as the 2021 AE champion and a 12-seed in his "Way-too-early bracket" for next year. I'm not sure if his faith in the Cats is based upon analysis or just force of habit.

141 - 160 of 265 Posts