Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve thought long and hard about this (about 45 minutes) and I’m certain that some of you are going to bitch. I just tell you guys what you don’t want to hear. There’s few surprises but here is my prediction for the 2020 conference season.

1. VCU. They earned this spot.

2. Dayton. I’m a homer, and I think that it’s going to be neck and neck with VCU. Maybe we’ll let VCO be co-champions again? Anthony Grant has the best roster in the A10 on paper, but as we know the games are played on hardwood - not paper. UD has 4 incoming transfers and and according to the same sources that said that a Obi Toppin during his redshirt season was the best player in the team are saying these guys are the real deal. Notably Rodney Chatman was compared to Kyle Davis and Ibi Watson (45” vertical) will be impact players. It’s easy to see why Jordan Davis transferred - these two are going to take his minutes. Obi Toppin will be a first round NBA pick and is the best player in the league IMO. What did Snipe say - “smell the glove”?

3. The Bonnie’s. I give the nod to the Bonnie’s here because they are going to improve more than Davidson or Rhode Island IMO. Lofton and Welch are going to be sophomores, and the real wild card is Osun Osunniyi. Ossuniyi can be a game changer just like Obi Toppin. Davidson returns all of their starters but they don’t have a big man like this. Plus, Schmidt always does more with less. Right?

4. Davidson. I really think that Rhoady will be in the top 4 but I don’t want to hear the whining. Davidson will be a good team, but I don’t see them improving as much as Dayton or SBU. Dayton adds a ton of talent and size, and SBU’s young players get better. Sorry.

URI and SLU aren’t far behind. SLU will be my sleeper for next year.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I cant put the Bonnies ahead of Davidson until we show we can beat them. Since 2016 Bona has 1 win, in triple OT. My uneducated top 4:
VCU
Davidson
Dayton
Bona

I am bearish on Rhody. I just dont see how much better they will be this year when the rest of the league is also better. Fats can shoot them in or out of any game and he takes way too many shots for my liking. I also cant put Dayton 2nd right now. Too many new players coming together while VCU and Davidson are mostly unchanged.

·
Piker
8,540 Posts
I like the in depth VCU analysis although mentions of the James River and PBR would have been nice. Good work JAF!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some additional insight for you non-believers ....

Jhery Matos will be available again. Jhery tore a tendon in his foot early on but gave the Flyer’s some good minutes before getting hurt. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

For the first time in what seems like decades, the Flyer’s have some serious size. Jordy Tshimsnga 6’11” / 265, Obi Toppin 6’9”, Chase Johnson 6’9 and incoming freshman Moulalye Sissoko 6’10 / 245. Tshimanga was a top 150 recruit coming out of high school. Johnson was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school school and is an elite athlete at 6’9”. His health will be a concern.

UD beat Davidson on their home court last year.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Some additional insight for you non-believers ....

Jhery Matos will be available again. Jhery tore a tendon in his foot early on but gave the Flyer’s some good minutes before getting hurt. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

For the first time in what seems like decades, the Flyer’s have some serious size. Jordy Tshimsnga 6’11” / 265, Obi Toppin 6’9”, Chase Johnson 6’9 and incoming freshman Moulalye Sissoko 6’10 / 245. Tshimanga was a top 150 recruit coming out of high school. Johnson was a top 100 recruit coming out of high school school and is an elite athlete at 6’9”. His health will be a concern.

UD beat Davidson on their home court last year.
Yeah, but Davidson has a secret weapon...Anthony Grant.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ha! Good One! Grant has never lost to McKillop and Davidson. Well played.
Should I write this s_l_o_w for you Jaffie? I'm speaking about his entire body of work. He can beat Davidson until the cows come home and still finish lower in the standings, correct? That is what I expect him to do because I think Grant is an average coach. Good recruiter, average coach.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rhoads and Dambrot are the only A10 coaches that have better career winning percentages, and even so its a slim margin.

He has a loaded roster, so yes, he needs to win this year. I say that he will.

Ha! Good One! Grant has never lost to McKillop and Davidson. Well played.
Should I write this s_l_o_w for you Jaffie? I'm speaking about his entire body of work. He can beat Davidson until the cows come home and still finish lower in the standings, correct? That is what I expect him to do because I think Grant is an average coach. Good recruiter, average coach.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts