Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I’ve thought long and hard about this (about 45 minutes) and I’m certain that some of you are going to bitch. I just tell you guys what you don’t want to hear. There’s few surprises but here is my prediction for the 2020 conference season.

1. VCU. They earned this spot.

2. Dayton. I’m a homer, and I think that it’s going to be neck and neck with VCU. Maybe we’ll let VCO be co-champions again? Anthony Grant has the best roster in the A10 on paper, but as we know the games are played on hardwood - not paper. UD has 4 incoming transfers and and according to the same sources that said that a Obi Toppin during his redshirt season was the best player in the team are saying these guys are the real deal. Notably Rodney Chatman was compared to Kyle Davis and Ibi Watson (45” vertical) will be impact players. It’s easy to see why Jordan Davis transferred - these two are going to take his minutes. Obi Toppin will be a first round NBA pick and is the best player in the league IMO. What did Snipe say - “smell the glove”?

3. The Bonnie’s. I give the nod to the Bonnie’s here because they are going to improve more than Davidson or Rhode Island IMO. Lofton and Welch are going to be sophomores, and the real wild card is Osun Osunniyi. Ossuniyi can be a game changer just like Obi Toppin. Davidson returns all of their starters but they don’t have a big man like this. Plus, Schmidt always does more with less. Right?

4. Davidson. I really think that Rhoady will be in the top 4 but I don’t want to hear the whining. Davidson will be a good team, but I don’t see them improving as much as Dayton or SBU. Dayton adds a ton of talent and size, and SBU’s young players get better. Sorry.

URI and SLU aren’t far behind. SLU will be my sleeper for next year.
We’re half way through the conference season, so I wanted move this post to the top of the board. It’s remarkable that my preseason prognostication was mostly spot on. The Flyer’s and Bonnie’s are making me look smart, and I was the only one with the balls to call foul on the fake news coronation of Davidson. I caved and predicted Davidson fourth when I really wanted to slide URI in the top 4.

VCU is only a half game out of the top four and I really thought that Alien’s crew would be in the top 20. There is still time.

Please read my preseason comments about Obi Toppin again.

My apologies to Paul and the Carla Tortelli followers for not taking the time to actually consider the Spider’s and Duke’s.

·
Piker
8,778 Posts
We’re half way through the conference season, so I wanted move this post to the top of the board. It’s remarkable that my preseason prognostication was mostly spot on. The Flyer’s and Bonnie’s are making me look smart, and I was the only one with the balls to call foul on the fake news coronation of Davidson. I caved and predicted Davidson fourth when I really wanted to slide URI in the top 4.

VCU is only a half game out of the top four and I really thought that Alien’s crew would be in the top 20. There is still time.
Hold it, VCU is a half game out of the top 4?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
3. The Bonnie’s. I give the nod to the Bonnie’s here because they are going to improve more than Davidson or Rhode Island IMO. Lofton and Welch are going to be sophomores, and the real wild card is Osun Osunniyi. Ossuniyi can be a game changer just like Obi Toppin. Davidson returns all of their starters but they don’t have a big man like this. Plus, Schmidt always does more with less. Right?
Nailed this. Just look at W/L and all the numbers when he's in vs. when he's out. A little skewed because he missed VCU, Dayton, URI, which would still have been at least 2 losses with him. But we have a different team when he's out there, no doubt.

Overall, good calls on a lot of stuff there.

Curious, what had you said about Duquesne. Hehe.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
So we all whiffed on Davidson. Although they are playing well lately and are still a factor. I would not want to see them in a Quarter. They have no depth so they might run out of gas in February. My Rhode Island take is freezing cold but I stand by my logic.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nailed this. Just look at W/L and all the numbers when he's in vs. when he's out. A little skewed because he missed VCU, Dayton, URI, which would still have been at least 2 losses with him. But we have a different team when he's out there, no doubt.

Overall, good calls on a lot of stuff there.

Curious, what had you said about Duquesne. Hehe.
I went back and looked at my notes, and had URI 4th, SLU 5th, DC 6th, DUQ and UR 7 and 8. I wouldn’t have said anything meaningful

·
Registered
927 Posts
So we all whiffed on Davidson. Although they are playing well lately and are still a factor. I would not want to see them in a Quarter. They have no depth so they might run out of gas in February. My Rhode Island take is freezing cold but I stand by my logic.
I mean, it is pretty f*&$ing insane that Fatts has improved from 22% to 36% in 3-point shooting in one season. He put in the damn work this past summer. I predicted an 18-win season and Rhody could possibly match that 11 games into the league schedule.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts