Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think it must be hard for UVM to recruit against BU. Most of the Patriot league schools are better academically than the America East schools. BU has an urban campus in a great part of the city that must be attractive to recruits. Yet the basketball atmosphere it so much better in Burlington. BU games are lifeless. It seems the campus is unaware they even have a team. UVM games are more alive. Are the recruits aware of the difference?
This can be said about almost all Boston basketball programs. Harvard, Northeastern and BU have been, in general, able to lander higher-profile recruits than any AE school has in recent years despite absolutely pathetic basketball culture and attendance averages that can fall below 1,000. The student body and the community just doesn't care. The Celtics suck all the (basketball) oxygen out of the room (despite being in a metro area of 6m+ inhabitants).

If I was a decorated prep school basketball player I would be embarrassed playing at a school like BU that gets absolutely no love from the university community. I think what it comes down to is location (Boston is the fastest-growing City on the East Coast and 18-30 year olds love it) and the prestige/value of getting a full ride scholarship at a pricey private university vs a public state school, even if from an academic prestige standpoint BU and Northeastern are not noticeably different from schools like UVM and SBU.

Harvard of course is a different story...but still, how do you stand playing in front of a lifeless crowd of 800, most of which are probably friends/family of the players, or fans of the opposing team?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I found when I was looking at schools with my son that the academic pecking order has changed since I was in college. The America East schools are not as highly rated. I went to UVM when it was listed as a 'Public Ivy'. Now it's only the 3rd best New England state school.

US News National University Rankings
2 Harvard (Princeton is 1)
37 BC
40 BU (tied)
40 Northeastern (tied)
64 UConn (tied)
64 UMass Amherst (tied)
79 Binghamtom
91 SBU
121 UVM
125 UNH
147 Albany
166 UMBC
179 UMass Lowell
202 UMaine
211 Hartford

Academically all of the Ivies Patriot and D1 Boston schools are superior. AE schools can't always use academic prestige as a recruiting tool.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
As someone who regularly attends college basketball games in Boston, I would say generally attendance is pretty apathetic, with BU undoubtedly leading the apathy, but each school has their moments. I'd also say Harvard probably has the best atmosphere and consistent fan support, overall. They easily have the most students show up on a consistent basis than any othe4r school in town, except for when BU plays Duke on ESPN2 or something.

BC: The OOC games are an absolute ghost town. Especially now considering its OOC schedule has only grown weaker and weaker given BCs current coach/roster over the years. Games people care about and show up for:

*Providence and Notre Dame because Catholics

*Duke, UNC, Virginia, and Syracuse because of all the alums from those schools living/working in Boston.

NU: BU game at both schools is always a fun time. I went when they played Michigan State at home a few years back and that was well attended. Admittedly, I do not make many CAA conference games but from what I've seen on TV and heard it's sparsely attended.

BU: Playing NU, and maybe Lehigh, are the other times I've seen fans show up. UVM as well but mostly b/c of Vermont alums. Otherwise, they no longer even bother playing in Agganis and when they play like Lafayette or Navy expect 300-400 people max.

That all being said, I think despite UVM having far more recent b-ball success and IMO much better coaching than BU and generally having a ton to offer, it's still very difficult to compete with BU being in Boston- Price/value of degree one factor, but Boston is an excellent place to go to college, great place to live after college and in general, and given the fact that many of BU/UVM students are academically inclined there's far more career opportunities/internship opportunities while still being on campus in the summers at BU. A kid can work at a wealth management firm/hedge fund/private equity/venture capital fund, Tech opportunities, Biotech, Pharma, Healthcare, Consulting, Accounting, etc all of these things are right here and...someone driven towards one of those areas really can't access those opportunities while living in Burlington for the summer. These same things apply for NU.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
I found when I was looking at schools with my son that the academic pecking order has changed since I was in college. The America East schools are not as highly rated. I went to UVM when it was listed as a 'Public Ivy'. Now it's only the 3rd best New England state school.

US News National University Rankings
2 Harvard (Princeton is 1)
37 BC
40 BU (tied)
40 Northeastern (tied)
64 UConn (tied)
64 UMass Amherst (tied)
79 Binghamtom
91 SBU
121 UVM
125 UNH
147 Albany
166 UMBC
179 UMass Lowell
202 UMaine
211 Hartford

Academically all of the Ivies Patriot and D1 Boston schools are superior. AE schools can't always use academic prestige as a recruiting tool.
The conference mix is also much different. Academic profile certainly took a hit with BU/Northeastern/Delaware all leaving.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
Jones, Morales, Guest, Hemphill, Whyte.
0 for 5 vs BU.

Kam Farris not even being recruited by UVM?
If I'm being totally honest only players out of that group I have really wanted are Whyte and now CJ Jones.

·
Registered
363 Posts
BU is killing us but Levebfre makes more sense as a UVM recruit than any of the 2020 commits so far, and I wouldn't abandon hope on Reece Brown just yet . . .

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is this just wishful thinking or do you thing UVM has a legit chance to get a commitment?
Adam Zagoria had a post about Brown implying he was going to visit Rice, UNLV, Wisconsin and Georgetown. Would leave one visit but he seems to be looking at conferences well above the AE at this point. I’d be happy to be wrong obviously.

221 - 240 of 276 Posts