Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

321 - 340 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I would've thought they'd be looking at someone with a little more size. 3pt shooting is certainly an area of need though.
I would've thought so too, because how many guards can we realistically have? Especially when (on paper) we return Smith, Shungu, Robin, Deloney, and add Mazzulla.

But as noted, we do need 3-point shooting. And (based solely on statistics) Chavez is a 3-point shooter.

We do have two scholarships left. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hoping to land a transfer in the post, because I'm not sure what 2020 HS bigs are still available at this point (I think there might be a couple we're sniffing around, but not sure). And I guess if you can't get talent at the position you need, just getting talent is the next best thing.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,644 Posts

6’5 SG Bryce Waterman of Pensacola State is averaging 12.3 ppg and shooting 46% from 3 (8.1 attempts per game). Waterman is a sharpshooter from deep and has made 74 3’s already this year

Kid currently has an offer from Bryant. Freshman qualifier with 3 years to play

·
Realist/A-hole
5,644 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has picked up several low-major offers lately. Averages ~20ppg and shoots over 40% from long range at Garden City right now.
Verbal Commits says he has offers from UVM, East Tenn. St., Nicholls State, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, NJIT, UT-Tyler and UC-Riverside (indicates "no interest" on the last two). One would think that the two best options there are UVM and ETSU, though Tahlik is from Texas so Vermont is a geographic outlier.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,644 Posts

Granted I don't know how hard it is to get Jucos through admissions, but this kid from Trinidad has an intriguing set of skills.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,644 Posts
He has shooting skills but he's slow and was only playing against guys who have to look up to him.
Agreed about the competition. He also showed some vision and passing ability which I liked. He's 6'8 and while he's not quick, I don't see him as much slower than other 6'8 guys at this level.

·
Registered
48 Posts
He has shooting skills but he's slow and was only playing against guys who have to look up to him.
I really like his court vision. Some excellent passes in this video. His release on outside shots is fairly quick for a big. Not sure about his hops, but I'd think he could fit with the Vt CATS.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,644 Posts
Are we just randomly putting highlights of players on here or is there a link to UVM?
I'm amusing myself. There's always a lot of talk about how there's a shortage of d1 talent left on the board this time of year. That may be true for high majors. At this level it's over blown. With the recent offer to a juco kid, something UVM rarely does, I've been perusing JUCO advocate. The vids as you've surmised have no connection that I m aware of to any AE school. Sorry about the blue balls.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've been increasingly envious of Stony Brook's ability to pull in quality JuCo transfers that make an immediate impact on their program. Especially bigs like Otchere and Gueye. I'd love if UVM was even 50% as successful in pulling in Jucos.

I'm not sure why we've never been able to. UVM's geographic isolation puts us at a competitive disadvantage vs schools close to NYC? Becker and Longergan both just never liked or trusted Juco tranfsers? If it really is the admissions process holding up Jucos that would be an absolute disgrace. We can't afford to leave talent on the table because of SAT scores. Kids are in the Juco situation often because they came from more disadvantaged backgrounds and won't have as good of grades or SAT scores. But their basketball ability is a testament to their work ethic and should be more than enough merit to be awarded admission.

Regardless, I do see the recent offer to the Juco PG as a positive. Would love a defense-minded lanky and athletic big though to pair with Davis.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've been increasingly envious of Stony Brook's ability to pull in quality JuCo transfers that make an immediate impact on their program. Especially bigs like Otchere and Gueye. I'd love if UVM was even 50% as successful in pulling in Jucos.

I'm not sure why we've never been able to. UVM's geographic isolation puts us at a competitive disadvantage vs schools close to NYC? Becker and Longergan both just never liked or trusted Juco tranfsers? If it really is the admissions process holding up Jucos that would be an absolute disgrace. We can't afford to leave talent on the table because of SAT scores. Kids are in the Juco situation often because they came from more disadvantaged backgrounds and won't have as good of grades or SAT scores. But their basketball ability is a testament to their work ethic and should be more than enough merit to be awarded admission.

Regardless, I do see the recent offer to the Juco PG as a positive. Would love a defense-minded lanky and athletic big though to pair with Davis.
Thats why I would prefer Becker and Co. for Canadian born players more. Preferably in the Montreal Quebec area, which is much closer than NYC. There does appear to be a lot of players coming to the states to play but they just might choose UVM because of the proximity to Canada, especially on the east coast side.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

UVM very much takes JUCOs in other sports so it's been on the coaches, more TB and Lonergan than Becker I think though. This is maybe the first time we've seen an offer to a JUCO in a while, but I can say with good knowledge that they have an assistant who does his homework on the JUCO scene and they do look to that avenue and have for the last 2-3 years; it just hasn't translated to someone committing.

It's 2020. Times have changed. I don't want to expound much further because I easily could, but I think UVM admins and former coaches, and by default, many fans bought into the "bad optics" of JUCOs which was always a myth. The preception stuffy New Englanders have about JUCOs is "Ok, Boomer" level now. Plenty of JUCO kids could get into UVM and its 75% acceptance rate, and plenty of them are full qualifiers out of HS. Some just don't have the money or don't get the exposure, or maybe don't want to do a prep year where there's only a finite amount of spots to go around...also outside the Mid-Atlantic going JUCO is just something you do not only as an athlete if you want to improve your game or get better exposure, but community colleges are so much more of a thing regular kids do for a year or two at lower costs and to transition into a 4-year school. Again, so much of it comes down to elitist attitudes in this part country about public two-year education.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thats why I would prefer Becker and Co. for Canadian born players more. Preferably in the Montreal Quebec area, which is much closer than NYC. There does appear to be a lot of players coming to the states to play but they just might choose UVM because of the proximity to Canada, especially on the east coast side.
I can’t recall a Canadian player that didn't end up being a good player for us, whether we recruited from high school or by transfer. Hehn, MoJo, TBH, Stef, Urquhardt. I’m probably forgetting somebody who wasn’t as good, but I’m all in on Canada. Happy to get good JuCo guys as well.

·
Premium Member
33,099 Posts
I can’t recall a Canadian player that didn't end up being a good player for us, whether we recruited from high school or by transfer. Hehn, MoJo, TBH, Stef, Urquhardt. I’m probably forgetting somebody who wasn’t as good, but I’m all in on Canada. Happy to get good JuCo guys as well.
Co-sign on Canada. We do well there generally and both Toronto and Montreal obvious recruiting pools.

·
Gr8t Dane
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Interesting to see UVM fans pining over potential JUCO transfers after slamming UA for picking them up over the years.

321 - 340 of 478 Posts