Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

361 - 369 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Albany...recruiting every JUCO that can walk...this list is without a doubt even bigger than this. I have a LOOONNNG history of railing against this strategy but I don't even care any more. Do 10x time Hartford did with their mercenaries. Load up on the most talented kids you can find even 1 year kids. In fact...run off every present player...just recruit over EVERY ONE!
UVM hockey fans call this Sneddoning. The constant bringing in of new guys after his last bunch of new guys didn't work is part of why they got in the mess they're in. I think the bigger issue here is Brown, like Odom, Becker and I guess Herrion to some extent have a pretty deliberate way they're going to play on both sides of the ball. For UVM it should be abundantly clear to people now with the current grad transfer experiment going on at the center position that plugging and playing at UVM doesn't happen...but they're still good so you don't mess with a good thing. Odom somehow manages to make his teams get better when they don't look like they should be. Brown seems like he's going to have to mess with something in his approach to how they play because it's either been figured out or he's not adapting to what he has? I can't say for sure I'm not watching a lot of tape on the Danes. Herrion, well he just does his thing and credit to him he gets a few players that mold into that identity, but probably fall short of being championship caliber.

Gallagher's biggest adjustment as a coach and why he's probably going to be more successful getting the transfers and grad kids to keep Hartford afloat is he is literally just rolling the ball out and letting them go in a simple offense that rewards a guy like Ellison to showcase his talent in the best way possible. For these coaches who are struggling and want to get in on the new reality of the game which is trending much more toward short-term fixing, it'll be interesting to see how many of them can actually find a way to make the talent work, or be less rigid in what's made them successful in the past because it no longer works.

·
Premium Member
32,932 Posts
Gallagher also has strong Philadelphia/So Jersey recruiting ties, stronger than likely any other coach in the AE. Ellison is from Voorhees, NJ which is a Philly suburb and Carter is a LaSalle transfer from Philadelphia. Obviously, Gallagher recruits from elsewhere but the Philly ties will always be helpful for short-term fix and grad transfers as we’ve seen this year producing its two best players in Ellison and Carter.

In the case of Gallagher vs Brown on short term fixes this season, Hartford certainly benefitted by having the greatest need with like 90% of its offense and minutes graduating last year. Not saying I don’t think Ellison is very talented; he’s a first team player but are his stats a little overinflated given Hartford’s returnee situation? I think so. Albany had Clark and Healy coming back so tougher to find someone like an Ellison to commit to them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Albany...recruiting every JUCO that can walk...this list is without a doubt even bigger than this. I have a LOOONNNG history of railing against this strategy but I don't even care any more. Do 10x time Hartford did with their mercenaries. Load up on the most talented kids you can find even 1 year kids. In fact...run off every present player...just recruit over EVERY ONE! I mean if we are going to BURN this thing to the ground...LET'S BURN IT!

You can go through your conniptions, but I will never want to face Albany in the tournament as long as Will Brown is coach.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's fair on your part but this isn't the same Albany program any longer. Truth be told it's been rough for a while now.
The “Will Brown as wizard“ thing wore off for me a while ago. I still respect him as a coach but Odom has kind of assumed the mantle of nemesis now. The UVM fan base will probably always have some form of PTSD relative to what happened against Brown in the past, but I don’t think he’s in the heads of the players and coaches like he used to be. The last time it felt like that was with the Voelkel teams. He knew exactly which buttons to push with that group and he had ice water guys like Hooley who were the perfect guys to put motion to the mind games. But it kind of felt like it stopped with the Bell Haynes and Dre Wills crew.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,516 Posts
361 - 369 of 369 Posts