Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

521 - 540 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Very annoying signing because he will be a solid piece to the puzzle. Shoots around 70% from the line too.
I'll take a wait and see approach as I've been to high in the past with incoming recruits but a few observations based on numbers.

- Legit big body at 6'7 235lb

- Draws fouls at an insane clip...127th in the country, 105th in the country as a freshman, this usually means a very active player who plays hard

- Is a very good rebounder

- Solid passer for a big...assist rate of 14%. By comparison Lulka was 6.1%, Hanks 5.7%, Lauderdale 4.7%

- Below average shooter...can hit a ft% though...which is good considering he lives at the line.

Reminds me a lot of an old Knick Anthony Mason (obviously a VERY POOR mans Anthony Mason). Mason wasn't a great NBA talent but was MAX EFFORT all day long. Albany needs some size so perhaps he can give them something.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Richie Greaves has switched from Bing to UMass Lowell.

In other news, it looks like Dempsey’s son will be with the team next season after a walk-on season at Providence in 2019-20.

Never a good sign of when there’s zero incoming freshmen as of May 1st.

I hope this next season is cancelled entirely so we don’t have to go through the motions with Dempsey again. His contract can’t end soon enough.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
We have one freshman too. A walk-on from a local HS. We have consistently struggled getting freshmen to come to UMBC for some reason over the last two seasons.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Very much on the periphery of the 2020 Recruiting Thread, but Georges Lefebvre's teammates who got some mention here (Emmanuel Bonsu and Ivan Misic) are headed to the Northeast-10 at Stonehill and Bentley, respectively.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
UMBC lost a kid to Irvine as a walk-on. We were his only D1 scholarship offer according to VC.

And we really could have used him. I am not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
I'm more interested to see the possibility of Will Berg. With both Horvath and Spasojević being seniors, we could use some younger height for when they move on.
Yeah I’m pretty sure we aren’t getting Wague. And Akin and Arkel are seniors too. We are going to lose our entire front court in a single season. Good lord.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
UMBC signs a pair of kids.

Szymon Wojcik, a 6'9" forward recruited to Missouri State where he broke his foot, is coming to UMBC via NW Florida State. Szymon Wojcik transfers to UMBC - usbasket

Matteo Picarelli is a 6'3" guard coming from Italy to UMBC, having averaged 18.7ppg in the Italian NextGen tournament. Matteo Picarelli to join UMBC - usbasket

I know nothing about these guys other than what I posted. But we have a full squad now and hopefully they can both come in and contribute.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm impressed with Picarelli's ball handling and speed for a guard of his size. My immediate concern would be his trigger-happy shot selection (but that's really hard to tell from these videos). He looks pretty physically mature for an 18-year-old, unless he's older and the Italian equivalent of a JuCo transfer. I'd be pretty excited if I were a UMBC fan.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
He is about to turn 19. But he has been playing in senior leagues for three seasons, I think? Two in Switzerland and one in Italy.

I'm excited about him too. We desperately needed a shooter and it seems we found one. If he can play defense he's going to get a lot of PT.

·
UMBC fan
3,891 Posts
Picarelli has played with potential lottery pick Nico Mannion on the U16/18 national team. In the Next Gen Cup he shot 58 threes in 6 games! Also shot 40 free throws. Will be interesting to see how much PT he gets the next time the team takes the court. I like it.

Wojcik shows potential as a big who can create space and hit the open 3 ball. Good size and production when on the floor and healthy. Seems like a solid guy to take a chance on.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,723 Posts

·
Gr8t Dane
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
It's not sustainable to run a program on transfers and JuCo players. Something has to change.
Albany has proven this statement to be true. If you get lucky with the right recruits you can go on a run, but it definitely leads to up and down years.

As a purple and gold wearing homer, I am hoping that Browns experience with this will allow UA to better adapt to the new world of college hoops and transfers and give us a leg up in the coming years.

Players like Lamb that star for 4 years are going to continue to be fewer and further between.

Power Conferences deal with one and done
Mid majors deal with transfers up

The teams that get the best JUCO guys, the best power school players that transfer down for more PT, and treat their homegrown players the best to convince them to stay will be the most successful.

I'm thinking the teams in the largest markets with the least competition from major sports programs (pro leagues and power college programs) will end up as the most successful as players can start to earn income from their image. They money they can make from local appearances and car dealership commercials will probably be more in Albany than it will be in Orono. SBU might have even more luck, but players will have to compete with teams in all major sports. In Bing, will a local car dealership hire a Bearcat, or will they go after an Orangemen player? UVM has a smaller MSA and media market than Albany has, but there will be way less competition for dollars.

The whole landscape is changing and will be unrecognizable in 5-10 years, saying nothing about the COVID issues.

521 - 540 of 543 Posts