Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

Open: Central Arkansas, IUPUI, SE Missouri, UNC Wilmington and Western Illinois.

Plenty of others to pop in the coming days. I believe Bearcats fans! I believe!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Central Arkansas lifted the interim tag on their guy. Air Force, Wyoming, James Madison and Loyola Marymount opened today.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
So, we can all agree there are MUCH bigger issues in the world. In fact, every post from here on out should come with an implied disclaimer that we are all aware of how societally-insignificant any college sports issue is compared to the world at large.

That said, I'm curious to see if the Carousel slows down at all during this time period. Do schools that might be on the fence hold tight because of all the uncertainty? Or failing that, hire from within when making a change? Do coaches stay put, unwilling to uproot their lives/families during this window and instead opting for the security of home?

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Grand Canyon fired Thunder Dan Majerle today. Classy day to do it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
So, we can all agree there are MUCH bigger issues in the world. In fact, every post from here on out should come with an implied disclaimer that we are all aware of how societally-insignificant any college sports issue is compared to the world at large.

That said, I'm curious to see if the Carousel slows down at all during this time period. Do schools that might be on the fence hold tight because of all the uncertainty? Or failing that, hire from within when making a change? Do coaches stay put, unwilling to uproot their lives/families during this window and instead opting for the security of home?
I just read an article that predicted more coaches would be safe this off season with college president's and AD's focusing on other things. Seems very plausible.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I just read an article that predicted more coaches would be safe this off season with college president's and AD's focusing on other things. Seems very plausible.
Agreed. Plus I'm sure some coaches will inevitably stay put on account of not having tourney runs that increase their exposure etc.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
New openings: Western Michigan, Illinois-Chicago, UAB, and Iona (end of an era, Cluess retiring for health reasons. 6 NCAAs in 10 years, not bad at all). The UAB coach had a winning record, but barely over .500, seems the expectations are higher there...he probably gets another shot down the line, only 37.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Pitino is a great coach. His teams have played exceptional defense and his in-game coaching and motivating are second to none.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I mean that'll get you some headlines, but I gotta wonder who or what is footing the bill. Not like Iona is flush with cash. Unless Slick Rick is doing this out of the goodness of his heart...only to use it as a way to get back in then bolt the moment something better comes along. Sort of feels like this could easily backfire, given Iona had done the right thing in giving the job to Cluess who was just a smart, winning coach that had a model of consistency. We shall see.

I think all of us would now like to see Iona on the schedule for home-and homes.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,712 Posts
It's probably a good thing New Rochelle is on lockdown. Careful Rick your nearly in that high risk group.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Welcome your new overlord, rest of the MAAC. Hide your wives, hide your daughters.

Immediately becomes the best college b-ball team in NYC metro.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
UNC Wilmington hired a former assistant who followed Keatts to NC State. Bryce Drew is the guy at Grand Canyon...my feeling is if we don't get another wave of openings by Friday, teams that want to get rid of their coach are just going to punt to next year because of the pandemic...which could lead to some truly awful basketball teams next year.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
UNC Wilmington hired a former assistant who followed Keatts to NC State. Bryce Drew is the guy at Grand Canyon...my feeling is if we don't get another wave of openings by Friday, teams that want to get rid of their coach are just going to punt to next year because of the pandemic...which could lead to some truly awful basketball teams next year.
Normally today would be a big day for the Carousel. But that is in a normal year. Obviously, there COVID-19 situation makes this year different, and I think will extend the period of time during which teams make changes. A few of the bigger reasons (in my mind) why...

-- when making any personnel change, most leaders prefer to do so face-to-face. That may not be possible at this time.

-- the Final Four is usually attended by most coaches and assistant coaches, making it a hotbed for interviewing and networking. No urgency this year to have your opening now and set up meetings and interviews at the Final Four.

-- there is typically an urgency to get a coaching staff in place for recruiting purposes. But the recruiting calendar has changed for this year.

We shall see, of course.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
A smaller ripple in all of this: with the suspension of NBA, we may fewer pro jobs open up than usual. Not that a ton of college coaches jump to the pros, but sometimes it can set off a trickle-down effect involving some high quality programs.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
UAB is hiring former Ole Miss Andy Kennedy. He's an alum and a former assistant with the Blazers.

Seeing it now with Kennedy, Pitino, and Grand Canyon hiring Bryce Drew: seems to be easier for schools in this time of crisis to hire guys who don't have college jobs. A lot fewer hoops to jump through when every single hoop in the world is on fire right now.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts