21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Per Twitter, Jim Christian returning to BC

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
If we get through this to where there's basketball this season, we will have earned some Billy Gillispie excitement in our lives.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I wasn't quite sure where to put this (new thread? 2019-20 Cats?) but heck, too hard to decide anything right now, so here it is.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Western Michigan promoted Clayton Bates, a longtime assistant, to head coach...despite the fact that they had just fired his boss.

I don't remember who had it on Twitter, but I believe it was a 2-year contract (yes, 2) valued at considerably less than what his predecessor was making.

This is Coaching Carousel 2020 reality. And with belt-tightening being what it is, it could spread to 2021 and beyond: more schools toughing it out with guys they don't love, more promotions from within at reduced prices, etc.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Western Michigan promoted Clayton Bates, a longtime assistant, to head coach...despite the fact that they had just fired his boss.

I don't remember who had it on Twitter, but I believe it was a 2-year contract (yes, 2) valued at considerably less than what his predecessor was making.

This is Coaching Carousel 2020 reality. And with belt-tightening being what it is, it could spread to 2021 and beyond: more schools toughing it out with guys they don't love, more promotions from within at reduced prices, etc.
What's interesting though is schools that presumably are in a further budget crunch (as most HBCUs do) both Alcorn State and Alabama State let their coaches go. One I think they let his contract run down.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I wasn't quite sure where to put this (new thread? 2019-20 Cats?) but heck, too hard to decide anything right now, so here it is.

He has earned it.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
He could go but I think Miller is a better hire right now. Ties to the school, lives within an hour of the school, has shown he can recruit players above UNCG’s previous level. Wins 23-26 games a season. Odom needs to show he can recruit because as a coach he is superior to most candidates.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I'm not trying to take shots, but if Wake ends up with Odom I think they will have overplayed their hand a little. There will likely be better, realistic options in play. To spend that buyout money to get a guy you could probably get a year from now...I don't know, man.

·
Registered
163 Posts
not sure a school who gave away 15M to a coach to not do his job could hire a guy who just went 15-16 in the America East. I understand he beat Virginia but again just went 15-16 in AE.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I would agree. He needs to either significantly pick it up on recruiting or take a first assistant high major job somewhere.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The good thing is all he has to do is win one more and he gets a job like that the very next year...

If I have learned anything it is we have good coaches at our level that can win at big time schools under the right circumstances... take pikiell as an example at Rutgers. I have no doubt that Becker, brown could do the same under the right circumstances

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Pikiell has also needed three years to get to that point where he can compete. He wasn’t bad but they were sub .500 until last year and clearly needs some time to build something. I think the other guys would too.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I would expect that. If he gets hired, I really hope he kills it there. He would have left us in a very good place to continue success. I think we have an AD who won't be so reticent to do a coaching search, we've shown that we can pay well if the coach earns it, and we have a pretty nice facility.

I don't know who we'd replace Odom with but frankly, if we hired back Griff Aldrich I would be really happy with that. High character guy, clearly can coach, and he has some really good contacts for recruiting.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts