Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I will say though that this season is a very big deal for everyone. Was 2019-20 a blip because of injuries or a trend downward to .500?

I'm not 100% sure it's not a trend because frankly we have not been recruiting kids who were as good or better (relatively) than the ones they replaced.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I would agree. He needs to either significantly pick it up on recruiting or take a first assistant high major job somewhere.
I think he can coach in game but this guys recruiting is highly suspect at this point. He'll ALWAYS have Virginia but his lack of success even on the heels of that win is pretty striking at this point.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I think he can coach in game but this guys recruiting is highly suspect at this point. He'll ALWAYS have Virginia but his lack of success even on the heels of that win is pretty striking at this point.
Can't disagree with that at all. He can definitely coach. He took a high-scoring team and turned it into the possibly the best defensive team we've ever had. But, it remains to be seen that he can get kids to come play for him that might not normally choose that school. If he goes to Wake, he is definitely going to have to convince kids who would want go to UVA, UNC, or Duke (or basically any P5 school east of the Mississippi better than Wake) to give him a shot.

So far, he hasn't been able to prove that. RJ, Akin, and Lamar are the best freshmen he's brought in. And that's three in five years now. It's just not enough. And I don't think he can rely on transfers at the P5 level.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Can add Thad Matta to the list of potential Wake Forest hires...which I think he'd fit there really well. Came apart a bit at the end at Ohio State, but that sounds like it was down to health issues, and sadly, probably a desire to stay clean in recruiting battles. Still think he can get talent to Wake Forest and win...you don't get a 73% winning percentage in the Big 10 without being good. He's shockingly only 52 and if he's feeling refreshed after his health issues, that'd be a solid hire.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Yeah if Matta is available the rest of the guys are not getting hired unless Thad wants more than Wake can pay and buy out Danny.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Word is Tommy Amaker is on campus in Winston-Salem. Don't know what round of interviews they are on, but in these times if you are bringing someone physically onto campus there has to be serious interest.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Apparently Chris Collins of Northwestern is in the mix too. But his last three seasons have probably doomed any chance of making a move to another P5 school.

I don't know what happened after they made the tournament but the air came out of the balloon quickly.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If Amaker takes the job I would guess that Harvard would enthusiasticly recruit Becker since he has shown the ability to beat Ivy opponents consistently.
Certainly think they'll try and see what his interest would be. Harvard can offer more money, national recruiting profile, and you can basically count on not finishing below 4th every year. It's a way more enticing job than it ever was before, which while I think Amaker can coach at a higher level, if I'm him I keep that job for life, because it's his as long as he wants it. He's also 54 and has done the high major thing before. But, losing Towns and Aiken might mean a slight rebuild.

The downside to it would be Harvard is never going to get a facility upgrade and if you've been to their basketball court, it's very pedestrian, and it's Boston so nobody pays attention to you even when you're very good. I don't believe their games are well attended maybe outside the Yale game. Becker at least knows he's safe here, on paper has a good team coming back, and while delayed, a new facility on the way with way better support from the community and just as much brand recognition as Harvard gets in the mid-major space. And, I think he can aim higher too if he wants. But, I'd get the appeal of Harvard and it's pretty likely they'd be able to poach a high number of sitting head coaches at mid-major schools. It's a really good job now.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
How old are Becker's kids? Is there advantage in him being coach there if they are younger than college age?

Because if that helps at all, I would be so torn about an offer from them.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
How old are Becker's kids? Is there advantage in him being coach there if they are younger than college age?

Because if that helps at all, I would be so torn about an offer from them.
His oldest is a senior at UVM and the youngest I think was a senior in HS this year.

I really don't think he would take the Harvard job, but I also don't know that he immediately says no to it. If it opens it's going to generate a lot of interest. It's one of the few peer level jobs that can pull someone in an already good position.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
I’m fairly certain Amaker is compensated well north of 1mm annually at Harvard. Unlimited resources, National/global recruiting capabilities, and you’re only playing against other Ivy’s. More I think about it, getting paid at the BCS level while maintaining a mid-major job I couldn't think of a more optimal scenario for him. I mean, no doubt he can excel at mid-major level. I’d help Becker pack.

I love UVM do not get me wrong, but it's the equivalent of a HS senior getting admitted to Harvard and UVM and oh by the way Harvard is providing 4X the scholarship money UVM is.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Amaker has done a good job at Harvard but you'd think every good basketball player who thought they could pull Bs at Harvard would bang down the doors to go there.

Maybe it's more complicated than that.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
If it’s a mid-major coach, how would it then not be Dave Odom’s kid?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I know we're all sort of half-joking, but...this multi-million dollar version of dads angling to get their kids on the right Little League team is pretty great. #DadJuice

·
Registered
188 Posts
As a Wake Forest alum, I've been covering this situation very closely. It's Manning's tenure there that made me decide a couple years ago to stop torturing myself and become a UVM fan. Hopefully, in a couple of years I can be a Wake fan again AND a UVM fan. Regarding Amaker - he has the greatest job in college hoops. Before he arrived in 2007, the Crimson had one of the poorest programs in college basketball history with an overall winning pct of .435. They hadn't been close to an Ivy title in decades. After a two-year turnaround period, Amaker has had 11 seasons with a .700 winning percentage and has been in the top two of the conference in nine of those seasons. He can stay at Harvard forever, be viewed as a savior, compete for the conference title every year, and have lunch with Henry Louis Gates once a week. Oh, and his wife’s a Harvard Dean. He might visit W-S to leverage his Harvard salary, but I've got to believe he’s not leaving. John Beilein apparently visited with the committee this week. I'd think that he'd demand to bring along his son who got the Niagara job a year ago, then quit citing personal reasons before ever coaching a game. The talk is that he's no longer in the mix. Thad Matta would be a great hire, but after buying out Manning and not being sure that there will be any football revenue this fall, I don't think the Wake Forest Athletic Dept. could afford him. Chris Collins at Northwestern apparently visited campus this week which is an absolute OMG. NU and Wake have relatively similar situations in the Big Ten and ACC, and if you were to look all over the country for a coach whose record most closely mirrors Manning's, it may very well be Collins. Miller and Forbes have been presumed frontrunners all along; two other former Wake assistant coaches under Dave Odom who have been prominently mentioned are Pat Kelsey at Winthrop and Russell Turner at UC-Irvine. Both have sparkling records. Speaking of Dave Odom, Ryan's name has come up throughout this process and he's doing a really nice job at UMBC, but other than catching lightning in a bottle for one week two years ago, nothing in his record suggests that he's the best choice in the nation for Wake Forest right now. The elder Odom still lives in Winston-Salem, so perhaps a courtesy interview is in order, but I'd be shocked if it's more than that. Finally, the juicy rumor of the week has been about Wes Miller's dad. He's a big WF hoops donor nd his name is on the Deacons' practice facility. Manning allegedly had a $15 million buyout and wasn't fired until a month and a half after the end of the season. Conspiracy theorists are wondering if Mr. Miller agreed to make the buyout happen on the condition that his son gets the job. I'm not buying it - the new Wake A.D. is John Currie who was the A.D. at Tennessee when superdonor Jimmy Haslam (owner of the Cleveland Browns and father of the current Tennessee governor) scuttled the intended hire of Greg Schiano as football coach. I'm sure Currie wouldn't want to be beholding again to a major donor who wants to call the shots.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts