Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
According to a flood of reports on Twitter, it looks like it's going to be ETSU's Steve Forbes at Wake.

UMBC fans are deprived a coaching search.

UVM fans are deprived a 12-page discussion comparing themselves to Harvard (well, I suppose we could still do it, but it won't be as relevant).

BO-RING!!!

(But in all seriousness, Steve Forbes is a good coach and a great score for the Deacs considering the circumstances. Plus, in Forbes America, there's ponies everywhere: Watch Saturday Night Live Highlight: Forbes America - NBC.com)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Initially I was surprised that Forbes would be chosen over Miller but then looking at their records, Forbes has basically kept ETSU ahead of UNCG since he arrived.

The Southern Conference is incredibly competitive with Wofford, ETSU, and UNCG all being very competitive. And then you add Furman and Chattanooga it is one of the toughest conferences in the country outside the P5, IMO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No apparent trickle-down effect for the America East in this hire. Forbes won at least 24 games in each of his seasons at ETSU and was named national Mid-Major Coach of the Year this season - an award for which UVM's John Becker was one of the other finalists. On paper, it looks like a good hire, although ETSU is almost open admission and Forbes depended heavily on transfers. I don't know how much of that he'll be able to do at Wake. So Wake paid a king's ransom to fire Manning and doesn't know at this point whether they'll have any football revenue. They'll need to lean on their major basketball donors - one of the biggest being Wes Miller's dad. If I give millions to a school that hires a Southern Conference coach who's not my son, I don't know if I'm going to continue opening up my wallet. Can Wake afford to lose one of their chief hoops patrons on top of the buyout and the football uncertainty? We'll see.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The Southern Conference is incredibly competitive with Wofford, ETSU, and UNCG all being very competitive. And then you add Furman and Chattanooga it is one of the toughest conferences in the country outside the P5, IMO.
It is a great league and the games are fun to watch. Whenever I would see any of their games listed, I made sure to either watch live or record them.

I've been a Wake fan for 48 years and a Vermont fan for three. Mid-major ball is so much better. TV money and the one-and-done rule have ruined high-major hoops.
Well, with the new G-league stuff, it looks like the one-and-done rule will not really be an issue moving forward. It will basically revert back to the way it was when guys could skip college. The list of those guys include Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard, Tracy McGrady and Darryl Dawkins but also includes guys like Kwame Brown, DeShawn Stevenson, Korleone Young, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry, Travis Outlaw among others that really didn't make it.

I don't know a lot of the details about the way it is going to be structured moving forward, but it appears the NBA has definitely gotten a better handle on how to help these guys.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts