Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
No on the additional year for seniors. And I say that while Maine is having their best season in hockey in the last decade.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So...did anyone happen to catch Gallagher and Ellison on SportsCenter yesterday? It was in like the 8pm edition of it. They were talking about the cancellations and whatnot, and Gallagher just blurts out (I'm paraphrasing) "No offense to Anthony Lamb, but we had the best player in the conference [Ellison] statistically and in games but our record wasn't enough to get him player of the year"

First off, he should know that "no offense" means you're offending and secondly, even if you could make the case Ellison had a POY-caliber season (he did), you're really gonna use this moment to push your agenda against a player in Lamb who was facing double and triple teams at points all year, and worked his ass off to be in the convo for all-time best at UVM and even the league in the last decade and had his career cut short because of a global health pandemic? Could you be any more of an asshole in that situation? Forget hating Will Brown UVM fans...Gallagher should be number one on everyone's shit list in terms of opposing coaches. At least say something like "we're disappointed we couldn't see a good matchup between two of the conference's best players" instead of going on national TV and shitting on a kid (who you know he voted POY for anyway) who is likely just as if not more devastated as everyone else (and considering what we know now thanks to that CBS article, could be taking this very hard and his well-being needs to be monitored).

I wish I could find the video of it and I would have probably posted something about it here right after it aired but I'm trying that social distancing thing in online spaces too.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
So...did anyone happen to catch Gallagher and Ellison on SportsCenter yesterday? It was in like the 8pm edition of it. They were talking about the cancellations and whatnot, and Gallagher just blurts out (I'm paraphrasing) "No offense to Anthony Lamb, but we had the best player in the conference [Ellison] statistically and in games but our record wasn't enough to get him player of the year"

First off, he should know that "no offense" means you're offending and secondly, even if you could make the case Ellison had a POY-caliber season (he did), you're really gonna use this moment to push your agenda against a player in Lamb who was facing double and triple teams at points all year, and worked his ass off to be in the convo for all-time best at UVM and even the league in the last decade and had his career cut short because of a global health pandemic? Could you be any more of an asshole in that situation? Forget hating Will Brown UVM fans...Gallagher should be number one on everyone's shit list in terms of opposing coaches. At least say something like "we're disappointed we couldn't see a good matchup between two of the conference's best players" instead of going on national TV and shitting on a kid (who you know he voted POY for anyway) who is likely just as if not more devastated as everyone else (and considering what we know now thanks to that CBS article, could be taking this very hard and his well-being needs to be monitored).

I wish I could find the video of it and I would have probably posted something about it here right after it aired but I'm trying that social distancing thing in online spaces too.
From the day this guy walked into the AE, I dislike him. Everything from his on-court behavior, behavior on Twitter (taking shots at Albany after winning the game in tourney)..this guy reeks to me of a fraud, the kind of guy that would sell his mother for a tic-tac in a famine. I know he's done more winning at Hartford then most but this dude is a giant ass from afar. No embarrassment is to low for him. The never-ending whining on the sideline is crystal clear that he has no respect for the game, the officials or the opposing coaches. It NEVER stops!

JMO, I know Hartford has Isbal, and that dude is straight up all class...credit to UH so perhaps he sees it different or different side of Gallagher but CG is hard to stomach at least for me as an outsider.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
No on the additional year for seniors. And I say that while Maine is having their best season in hockey in the last decade.
Agreed, the situation would be untenable in all seriousness unless you expand rosters etc. You have hundreds of kids graduating HS and coming into D1...what do you do with them. Many of them were recruited and offered scholarships knowing that they would occupy a roster spot of a senior graduating. This would be a complete freaking shit-show.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What UVM fans "hate Will Brown"? I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates--or even dislikes to the slightest degree--Will Brown. He is widely admired for his loyalty to UAlbany (longer-tenure coaches are needed in our conference) and the professionalism he brings to the conference. I would say UVM fans don't hate Odom either, but he still has a long way to go before he gets Will Brown's level of respect.

I don't think there would be a UAlbany-UVM rivalry were it not for Will Brown.

What I hate are times similar to when TBH had his temper tantrums his senior year, complaining like he did in that 2018 post-game press conference after the Hartford loss.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I'm still wrapping my head around how the power schools manufactured Covid-19 to save face in the NCAA tourney this year. You KNOW both Vermont and Hartford would've easily gone to the Final Four this year.

Smart but ruthless move.
Okay, then in this scenario who would have won the AE conference tourney, and who would have received the at-large bid, in order for both teams to have appeared in the Final Four? Tough call.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
What UVM fans "hate Will Brown"? I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates--or even dislikes to the slightest degree--Will Brown. He is widely admired for his loyalty to UAlbany (longer-tenure coaches are needed in our conference) and the professionalism he brings to the conference. I would say UVM fans don't hate Odom either, but he still has a long way to go before he gets Will Brown's level of respect.

What I hate are times similar to when TBH had his temper tantrums his senior year, complaining like he did in that 2018 post-game press conference after the Hartford loss.
Oh, plenty do. You really must sit in the wrong section at games. A lot of the old timers have had a long-standing dislike of the guy, though yes, it has softened in recent years to begrudging respect, but it's there. So back around when he was fresh on the job at Albany, he made some comments to the media about Coppenrath, akin to calling him a "backwoods freak" or something like that. Tom Brennan got mad about that and it was a back and forth at that time that people still remember. Young Will Brown (he got the job when he was like 27, right?) acted like the king of his shit don't stink, especially in those Jamar Wilson days, and he would just say stuff in post games that would not endear himself. With age comes wisdom and he's really not like that anymore, but there are some UVM fans who love yelling stuff at him because they just remember stuff he did 10+ years ago.

And just to add onto that, this was a guy who back in 2007 was a candidate for St. Bonaventure and to the Albany media played back and forth whether he'd take the job but then called it a "coaching graveyard" -- which Mark Schmidt has proved it isn't, but you get the idea...this was a guy who definitely was an asshole back in the day. I think even some Albany fans would admit that, while also saying he's softened up as he's gotten older. Gallagher though I think is currently occupying the "asshole coach" mantle of the league.

Also, Ryan Odom can't be hated. His soothing southern drawl and quality coaching ability is just not hateable.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts

There was a time, let's not sugar coated when Will Brown was younger, more brash and at times inserted foot in mouth...he's clearly matured though IMO.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Oh, plenty do. You really must sit in the wrong section at games. A lot of the old timers have had a long-standing dislike of the guy, though yes, it has softened in recent years to begrudging respect, but it's there. So back around when he was fresh on the job at Albany, he made some comments to the media about Coppenrath, akin to calling him a "backwoods freak" or something like that. Tom Brennan got mad about that and it was a back and forth at that time that people still remember. Young Will Brown (he got the job when he was like 27, right?) acted like the king of his shit don't stink, especially in those Jamar Wilson days, and he would just say stuff in post games that would not endear himself. With age comes wisdom and he's really not like that anymore, but there are some UVM fans who love yelling stuff at him because they just remember stuff he did 10+ years ago.
Truth!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

ill give my thoughts later when I have some time but linking the show in the other thread.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I like the University of Hartford. I have friends and family who attend (or have attended) both undergrad and grad programs there. Solely as an institution, I root for them ahead of every AE team but UVM.

But John Gallagher is easily my least-favorite opposing coach in the league. Hands down. And I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. I have definitely come around on Will Brown: I used to like him less, but I think he has matured over the years and transformed almost into the closest thing this league has to an elder statesman. I always forget just how LOOOOOOONG he's been coaching at Albany. Still not my favorite guy, but I certainly respect him.

(Caveat: in the name of everyone taking perspective on things this week, I'm sure Gallagher is an excellent husband, father, and friend. But I don't fall into any of those three categories with him, so BOO HISS!)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Okay, so here's the video: Hartford was a win away from its first title... and then they weren't - ESPN Video

So, on second listen it doesn't sound as bad as I first remember hearing it (I think we can all give ourselves a pass for being in just wierd states last night as fans) but still...the whole "we didn't win enough to make Ellison POY" line, I think is just so petty. I get he's trying to pump up his guys, every coach should, but that's a line that could have very easily been rephrased and just comes off to me as a stupid comment to make because like he said, it was hard explaining to his guys the game would be canceled...you're a coach Gallagher, how you think Becker's convo went with his guys? With Lamb, who was denied that last opportunity just like Ellison? Not the time and place to mention the merits of POY voting.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Okay, then in this scenario who would have won the AE conference tourney, and who would have received the at-large bid, in order for both teams to have appeared in the Final Four? Tough call.
Oh I meant 'either' team. Both teams going to the tournament would be unrealistic.

In Will Brown's case Vermont fans' hatred of him translates to a sick combination of admiration and fear. That guy used to out X and O us every year.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
some sensitive 'cats fans on here on the Hartford air time on ESPN and the attention Ellison is getting... For the ones who didn't catch a lot of Hawks games, news flash, Ellison was doubled constantly and sometimes tripled and still avg a double double. Hate it or love it, it's true, he didn't get the POY nod because Hartford didn't win enough games... it is what it is. not taking anything away from UVM, they are the better team no doubt..

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
some sensitive 'cats fans on here on the Hartford air time on ESPN and the attention Ellison is getting... For the ones who didn't catch a lot of Hawks games, news flash, Ellison was doubled constantly and sometimes tripled and still avg a double double. Hate it or love it, it's true, he didn't get the POY nod because Hartford didn't win enough games... it is what it is. not taking anything away from UVM, they are the better team no doubt..
Like it or not...a mercenary was never going to win it over a home grown kid. Gall can cry about it all he wants now.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts