Duquesne- Brandon Wade to Michigan

George Washington-Justin Mazzula to Vermont, D.J. Williams

UMASS-Sy Chatman,

Rhode Island-Gregory Hammond, Dana Tate

Richmond-Tomas Verbinskis

·
Registered
968 Posts
Possibly of interest to rooters of the RI Rams and Hawks, Dahmir Bishop (FR) is leaving Xavier. URI recruited him before he committed to Xavier but the Hawks' board is abuzz with chatter about him possibly landing on Hawk Hill. We shall see, I guess.

Strangely, when you transfer out midseason, you forfeit a half a season of eligibility. The half season you spent at your old school counts as a full season and you still have to sit out a year (two semesters). The result is that wherever Bishop ends up, he will only have 2.5 years of eligibility left (as opposed to three years if he waited until after the season to transfer). Unfair and illogical if you ask me.

·
Piker
8,971 Posts
Possibly of interest to rooters of the RI Rams and Hawks, Dahmir Bishop (FR) is leaving Xavier. URI recruited him before he committed to Xavier but the Hawks' board is abuzz with chatter about him possibly landing on Hawk Hill. We shall see, I guess.

Strangely, when you transfer out midseason, you forfeit a half a season of eligibility. The half season you spent at your old school counts as a full season and you still have to sit out a year (two semesters). The result is that wherever Bishop ends up, he will only have 2.5 years of eligibility left (as opposed to three years if he waited until after the season to transfer). Unfair and illogical if you ask me.
FYI, I think Bishop had VCU on his final list although I do not think there was or is a need for a guard then or now.

·
Registered
968 Posts
FYI, I think Bishop had VCU on his final list although I do not think there was or is a need for a guard then or now.
Martelli recruited him early but then backed off when it appeared his stock was blowing up. Different times now, however, and SJU may be in the game this time due to Bishop's alleged homesickness, the ample playing time that he would get at SJU, his interest in the system Lange is trying to institute and his friendship with HS classmate and current Hawk freshman Chareef Knox.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

Are you sure about the 2.5 years? I believe that transfers have to sit for a full academic year, but have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He should be eligible second term of the 20/21 school year and have 3.5 years left out of the 5.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Unless the rule has changed, when you transfer mid-year, you essentially get to play 3 seasons.
In this case, .5 at Xavier counts as one full season.
.5 at the next destination also counts as a full season.
2 at said destination.

If this guy were to have sucked up and stayed at Xavier, even if miserable, he would have sat out all of next season and had 3 full years remaining.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Unless the rule has changed, when you transfer mid-year, you essentially get to play 3 seasons.
In this case, .5 at Xavier counts as one full season.
.5 at the next destination also counts as a full season.
2 at said destination.

If this guy were to have sucked up and stayed at Xavier, even if miserable, he would have sat out all of next season and had 3 full years remaining.
What happens if you don't have a new school until June?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
What happens if you don't have a new school until June?
Then you sit out fall and spring, and then have 3 years left. You need to spend 2 semesters in residence at your new school, barring a waiver of some sort.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Then you sit out fall and spring, and then have 3 years left. You need to spend 2 semesters in residence at your new school, barring a waiver of some sort.
Since that would gain the season back, I wonder how many drag their feet until the end of the semester.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Here is the deal with Chase Young - UD’s transfer from Florida.

Year one at Florida he was injured and received a redshirt year.

Year two at Florida he was injured but played, left Florida and enrolled at UD at the beginning of the winter term. He completed 1/2 of his year in residency during the winter term.

Year three at UD. They were expecting Chase to be eligible at the end of the Fall term after he completed the second 1/2 year in residency. He would have played 1/2 year at UD and would another two years of eligibility (years 4 and 5 of his five year clock) resulting in 2.5 years of eligibility at UD. The NCAA granted a waiver so that he could play at the beginning of the Fall term so he actually has three years of eligibility at UD.

The kid transferring from Xavier gets 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He has to sit for a full academic year, so assuming that he transfers to a school with a winter and fall term he will be eligible to play at the end of next years fall term. He’ll burn a 1/2 year of eligibility at that school in what is his second year of his five year clock. He’ll then have a full year of eligibility in the third, fourth and fifth of the clock.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The kid transferring from Xavier gets 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He has to sit for a full academic year, so assuming that he transfers to a school with a winter and fall term he will be eligible to play at the end of next years fall term. He’ll burn a 1/2 year of eligibility at that school in what is his second year of his five year clock. He’ll then have a full year of eligibility in the third, fourth and fifth of the clock.
It is very possible I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but I am fairly sure that math does not add up.

There is no such thing as half seasons when it comes to exhausting eligibility.

FR - half a season playing at X (this half counts as a full season of athletic participation); sit out Spring semester at new school;
SO - sit out Fall semester at new school; half a season playing at new school (this half counts as a full season of athletic competition)
JR - full season at new school
SR - full season at new school

At that point eligibility is exhausted irrespective of 5 year clock. I am not aware of that having changed recently, so to the best of my knowledge that is how it still works.

Edit: Transfer terms
Of note: Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport. Division III student-athletes who practice or compete after the first date of competition in their sport use up one season in their sport.

According to the X website, Bishop played in 10 games this season. That is one season done for him.
If he plays in any games at his new school next season (2020-21), that is another year done even if the competition only occurs in the Spring (2nd) semester).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

Note that Chase Johnson’s bio from UD indicates that he will have “at least” 2.5 years of eligibility at UD. He actually has three years after the NCAA granted a waiver. I believe that the NCAA considers of season of eligibility as one full academic year, and one full academics year as two term students or three quarters. Chase played games in each of his two seasons at Chase but was granted a medical redshirt his first year.

If the kid at Xavier played after the fall term ended, he is probably SOL.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts

Note that Chase Johnson’s bio from UD indicates that he will have “at least” 2.5 years of eligibility at UD. He actually has three years after the NCAA granted a waiver. I believe that the NCAA considers of season of eligibility as one full academic year, and one full academics year as two term students or three quarters. Chase played games in each of his two seasons at Chase but was granted a medical redshirt his first year.

If the kid at Xavier played after the fall term ended, he is probably SOL.
SOL how so? In that there is no way he gets a waiver?

When it comes to exhausting eligibility it is about games played, not semesters or quarters.
Number of games played do factor into whether a redshirt is possible.
Read the link I provided above in my previous post, there is a good bit of info there that clears things up.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Ace is correct. When Mike Lewis left Duquesne halfway through his junior year to go to Nevada, he had two choices. He could either sit out through the fall semester, and then play the remainder of the year, at which point he'd have exhausted his eligibility, or he could have sat out a year and a half, and then played a full year next season. There are no half years. Half years count as full years. Now, if you were to get a waiver to allow you to compete the fall after your transfer, you'd gain a half year back without having to sit out another full year. Basically, if you transfer mid year, you're going to lose time. If you sit out a year, you will lose a full year of eligibility. If you sit out a year and a half, you would only lose one semester.

·
Piker
8,971 Posts
Martelli recruited him early but then backed off when it appeared his stock was blowing up. Different times now, however, and SJU may be in the game this time due to Bishop's alleged homesickness, the ample playing time that he would get at SJU, his interest in the system Lange is trying to institute and his friendship with HS classmate and current Hawk freshman Chareef Knox.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
141 to date

A-10 departures:

Duquesne- Brandon Wade to Michigan

George Washington-Justin Mazzula to Vermont, D.J. Williams to DePaul

UMASS-Sy Chatman,

Rhode Island-Gregory Hammond to UMASS-Lowell, Dana Tate to Siena

Richmond-Tomas Verbinskis to Lafayette

Arrivals
George Washington-Hunter Dean from Southtern Miss

Saint Joes-Dahmir Bishop from Xavier

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
420 players have entered the portal. Greg has to marshal some troops, as Wichita State has seven in the portal.

A-10 departures:

Duquesne- Brandon Wade to Michigan; Frankie Hughes

George Mason- Jason Douglas Stanley

George Washington-Justin Mazzula to Vermont, D.J. Williams to DePaul; Chimezie Offurum; Arnaldo Toro

LaSalle-Ed Croswell

UMASS-Sy Chatman, Keon Clergeot, C J Jackson

Rhode Island-Gregory Hammond to UMASS Lowell; Dana Tate to Siena; Mekhi Long

Richmond-Tomas Verbinskis to Lafayette

Saint Bonaventure-Bobby Pianutis

Saint Josephs- Chereof Knox

Arriving

UMASS- Noah Fernandes (PG) from Wichita State

Saint Josephs-Dahmir Bishop (SG) from Xavier

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
CJ never really fit in, but I wish him the best where he ends up. Keon was a player a lot of us expected to see go at the end of the year. He's also all heart and very well respected among the fans. Hopefully he gets what he needs in his next stop.

Fernandes coming on over is great for us. This is the first year in a few years where the transfer situation isn't dreadful for UMass.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts