Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Piker
8,902 Posts
Oops. You beat me to it, AA. I put this in the "Around the League" thread. Tough news for URI. That kid KILLED the Bonnies. What's going on in Kingston? Five rides open now, and there have even been whispers around the league about Fatts eyeing the door?
Am I see it right that eleven Rhody players have transferred out the last two years? Crazy. Martin was getting 30+ minutes per game.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Am I see it right that eleven Rhody players have transferred out the last two years? Crazy. Martin was getting 30+ minutes per game.
That’s what’s crazy about this era. The A10 isn’t exactly chopped liver. We aren’t talking about the MAAC or NEC here. Our league sends players to the NBA, teams go on deep tournament runs, and we’ve had four national players of the year in the past 25 years... yet a kid who played 30 mpg as an underclassman is leaving one of the most competitive perennial programs? Uhhhh... huh? This reeks of tampering and outside whispers from runners.

·
Piker
8,902 Posts
That’s what’s crazy about this era. The A10 isn’t exactly chopped liver. We aren’t talking about the MAAC or NEC here. Our league sends players to the NBA, teams go on deep tournament runs, and we’ve had four national players of the year in the past 25 years... yet a kid who played 30 mpg as an underclassman is leaving one of the most competitive perennial programs? Uhhhh... huh? This reeks of tampering and outside whispers from runners.
"Handlers" and family: Hey Tyrese, you should play in the ACC so you can go pro.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Just wait for the NCAA to implement the one time transfer rule and then allow players to get paid for the use of their name.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This is what will become the norm. The P5/BE will steal our stars. To make room, they will send us failed 3 and 4 star players. What will slow it down is for a fair number of our guys to fail, or get stuck on the benches of these P5 teams, and for some of these "failed" guys they send us, to blow up.
In fact, going forward, instead of us in turn just robbing the MAAC, Summit, Horizon, and AE, we need to aggressively go after those 3-4 star P5 players that get recruited over, and are stuck on the bench. Many of these guys should have been at the A10/American/WCC level to begin with, and will excel at our level. In a bad situation, you have to be proactive. I would think that many of these bench guys won't be happy to see these transfers coming in, and will look for a better situation.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I remain confident that the new transfer proposal won’t pass. It is an INSANE proposition.

The most ludicrous aspect of this is the newly established narrative that the year-in-residence (sit-out year) is somehow a punishment for players. It’s the opposite! Most athletes won’t have a sniff at the NBA, and that sit out season is critical in helping them adjust to a new school and catch up on any core curriculum that’s unique to their new schools.

The grad transfer rule needs to change next. I’m fine with a kid not sitting if he did his job and graduated, but tell me which graduate programs get totally wrapped up across two semesters. It’s a joke. To take a grad transfer from another school, it should be required to guarantee TWO years of full scholarship that count against the limit of 13. The player and program can decide whether that one year is used immediately or in the second year.

If this is REALLY about kids going to grad school (and I mean actually going to grad school), then this will only help the student-athlete.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I don’t have a problem with new transfer proposal if the current school gives a waiver. If a kid wants to be closer to home, or doesn’t like the school they shouldn’t have to sit a year. If Osun suddenly wants to transfer to Kentucky just because, Schmidt should be able to give him a waiver or Osun sits for a year.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I don’t have a problem with new transfer proposal if the current school gives a waiver. If a kid wants to be closer to home, or doesn’t like the school they shouldn’t have to sit a year. If Osun suddenly wants to transfer to Kentucky just because, Schmidt should be able to give him a waiver or Osun sits for a year.
I’m not sure why a kid needs to play immediately just because he wants to be closer to home. The current system doesn’t stop homecomings at all.

It’s sort of like the hardship waiver. Oh... grandma is sick? My deepest sympathies, but what the hell does that have to do with you playing basketball right away? If your presence is needed, focus on adjusting to a new university/major curriculum and taking care of your ailing relative (Oh! But it usually isn’t actually about that, is it?).

Again, in 9.5/10 cases, the year in residence is a very good thing academically, socially, and usually athletically.

We need to stop tailoring college athletics’ rules to the 0.1% of basketball and football players who have multimillion dollar pro sports prospects. They are in the vast, vast, VAST minority when it comes to Division 1 athletics.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
With about 700 transfers the last 3 years, each Div I school might be expected to average 2 transfers a year.
Some have more, some less. But 2 wouldn't be unusual. Whether they're going up, or down the ladder.

·
Registered
968 Posts
For the second year in a row, the Hawks' Lorenzo Edwards enters the portal, this time as a graduate transfer. Few Hawks expect him to stay this time as the program honored him on Senior Day.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts