Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Hmmmm... I wonder how he was able to narrow his choices to three already. It couldn’t possibly be that there was some sub-surface contact through runners and bag men, could it?

More “high-major” programs trying to poach players who, only months ago, were labeled with far inferior “talent”. It’s amazing what changing one’s shirt can do!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hmmmm... I wonder how he was able to narrow his choices to three already. It couldn’t possibly be that there was some sub-surface contact through runners and bag men, could it?

More “high-major” programs trying to poach players who, only months ago, were labeled with far inferior “talent”. It’s amazing what changing one’s shirt can do!

I didn’t think that Jacob was that good at URI this year. Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see him him in a UD uniform because he looks a lot like Obi at the same age. I didn’t think that Kentucky recruits “upside” though. Obi is such a nice kid and I have to think that Jacob is the same, so I hope he does well.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Like someone on twitter noted, if his choices are Kentucky, Oregon and Iowa State, I guess he's going to Iowa State then. I could be mistaken but UK and Oregon don't seem to be the type to offer immediate opportunities to a player with his record. If Jacob lands on those teams he's looking at riding the bench for 1-2 years and maybe finally getting a big workload his senior year.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Like someone on twitter noted, if his choices are Kentucky, Oregon and Iowa State, I guess he's going to Iowa State then. I could be mistaken but UK and Oregon don't seem to be the type to offer immediate opportunities to a player with his record. If Jacob lands on those teams he's looking at riding the bench for 1-2 years and maybe finally getting a big workload his senior year.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The ultimate zag. Maybe Jacob thinks his brother is going to make enough dough for the whole family at this point, so he's free to play some competitive basketball in practice and sit during meaningful games?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly, you're right on that one. I like making predictions and accurate bets for their games. This website ( https://www.tiplеader.com/en/bookmakers_rating ) helps me with it. It has dozens of other bookmakers analytics and ratings, so in that way every user can get detailed information about every team, he's gonna bet on.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Maybe Jacob Toppin thinks that a year off will help him blow up like his brother did. ?‍♂

·
Registered
948 Posts
Maybe Jacob Toppin thinks that a year off will help him blow up like his brother did. ?‍♂
To be fair, he probably does need a year of minimal game action to focus on training and bulk up a little, and URI likely doesn't have the caliber of UK's weight program. His brother is listed at 220 and he is listed at 190. If you saw the highlight dunk when URI was in Dayton, Obi just completely discarded little brother to the side.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
To be fair, he probably does need a year of minimal game action to focus on training and bulk up a little, and URI likely doesn't have the caliber of UK's weight program. His brother is listed at 220 and he is listed at 190. If you saw the highlight dunk when URI was in Dayton, Obi just completely discarded little brother to the side.
Yeah, that is sort of my point. The redshirt year seemed to do Obi well, so Jacob might be thinking why the hell not. Who knows. I think it is worth it for him and it is easy to question the destination at this point.

It is possible sometimes guys transfer just for those reasons. Their current school will likely not voluntarily redshirt them for a year to let them develop, unless it is done when they first enter and even then that is rarely a choice, but rather done by rule. So instead of staying, they transfer, get a year to develop and end up playing a full 4 years in total. Certainly those type of transfers are the exception and it is something that will become moot or go back to being voluntary if the transfer rule gets changed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah, that is sort of my point. The redshirt year seemed to do Obi well, so Jacob might be thinking why the hell not. Who knows. I think it is worth it for him and it is easy to question the destination at this point.

It is possible sometimes guys transfer just for those reasons. Their current school will likely not voluntarily redshirt them for a year to let them develop, unless it is done when they first enter and even then that is rarely a choice, but rather done by rule. So instead of staying, they transfer, get a year to develop and end up playing a full 4 years in total. Certainly those type of transfers are the exception and it is something that will become moot or go back to being voluntary if the transfer rule gets changed.
All I envision is because of Calipari's one and done past he takes it a year at a time and before the 2021-22 season he forgets the guy is even on the team. "Oh yeah, that guy Obi's brother, we got him transferred here last year? Oh ok, I guess we'll see what he can do on the court, maybe give him 5-10 minutes."

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
All I envision is because of Calipari's one and done past he takes it a year at a time and before the 2021-22 season he forgets the guy is even on the team. "Oh yeah, that guy Obi's brother, we got him transferred here last year? Oh ok, I guess we'll see what he can do on the court, maybe give him 5-10 minutes."
That is very possible. Worst case Jacob spends a few years at UK, graduates early and finishes with a grad transfer year at Fordham.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
That is very possible. Worst case Jacob spends a few years at UK, graduates early and finishes with a grad transfer year at Fordham.
I thought worst case scenario was immediate eligibility for everyone passes and takes effect immediately. Then he is UK leading scorer when we arrive at Rupp next season.

But I guess that depends on worst case for whom?

61 - 80 of 123 Posts