1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gr8t Dane
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
176 Posts
It seems that every year we watch this to see where UVM falls. It's been a while since anyone else has been on the list....:

#100 - Stony Brook

They show SBU as #1 in the AE, so I guess that means no one else will make it.

#112 - UVM - #112 Vermont Men's Basketball 2021-2022 Preview

I am going to predict that 3 AE teams will finish the season in the top 144, but SBU will not be one of them because well...

Stonybrook is loaded. Scary from my perspective. The league will have a # of competitive teams this year. Will be interesting to see how covid infections and protocols affect the league.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Stonybrook
I'm not a Stony Brook fan but I have to assume it drives them crazy to see that put as one word. Much like Longisland, Holycross, Centralflorida and Bostoncollege would hate it as well.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I generally don't make predictions about the season, especially without having seen one second of the team in live action. With that being said, I feel like this year will be a relative down year for UVM. I think that there is still too much non-basketball stuff swirling around. I hope that I am wrong, but that's my gut...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I generally don't make predictions about the season, especially without having seen one second of the team in live action. With that being said, I feel like this year will be a relative down year for UVM. I think that there is still too much non-basketball stuff swirling around. I hope that I am wrong, but that's my gut...
Disagree. Don't know what SB has - sounds like some very high profile transfers. So I won't compare. But, UVM has dealt with this shit in the past (off court issues). Its a senior heavy team with guys that have a lot to prove. Murphy, Davis, Shungu, Duncan et al will all be hungry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Murphy and Duncan make significant strides with the additional time to heal and more time in the system.

Assuming one of our transfers can contribute consistently, I think we are better than last year. Heck, we prolly have more guards than any team. The real issue will be - can coaches handle juggling and managing mins for so many players and keep everyone happy. I even think the lack of bigs is overstated. Georges should be able to at least get some min (no idea how much he has developed) and Murphy, Davis, Duncan, Powell, and Fiorillo. Who else did we lose other than Stef? Sure that is a big loss (and I wish him the best), but Stef was not irreplaceable.

Hope that SB performs as highly as this preseason ranking thinks. That would be great for the conference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am optimistic about Gibson and Finn, as well as Sam and Guillory. I'd like to see Ryan Davis take another leap, don't know if that's asking too much. Murph has ability, but he needs to stay healthy. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Disagree. Don't know what SB has - sounds like some very high profile transfers. So I won't compare. But, UVM has dealt with this shit in the past (off court issues). Its a senior heavy team with guys that have a lot to prove. Murphy, Davis, Shungu, Duncan et al will all be hungry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Murphy and Duncan make significant strides with the additional time to heal and more time in the system.

Assuming one of our transfers can contribute consistently, I think we are better than last year. Heck, we prolly have more guards than any team. The real issue will be - can coaches handle juggling and managing mins for so many players and keep everyone happy. I even think the lack of bigs is overstated. Georges should be able to at least get some min (no idea how much he has developed) and Murphy, Davis, Duncan, Powell, and Fiorillo. Who else did we lose other than Stef? Sure that is a big loss (and I wish him the best), but Stef was not irreplaceable.

Hope that SB performs as highly as this preseason ranking thinks. That would be great for the conference.
I do hope that you're right, but saying that UVM has dealt with this in the past??? How so? When was the last time the team lost 3 guys off its coaching staff? When Brennan left? When was the last time the BBall team/athletic department was part of an NCAA lawsuit? When was the last time a winning coach couldn't get an interview at a peer mid major in the off season? That's gotta sting. Becker also made very clear that the University HAD to move forward on getting the new arena done. The delays are largely due to Covid, but does that even matter? He said what he said.

Senior experience and leadership is certainly helpful, but isn't every guy in the league going to be "hungry"? Assuming guys that have not played meaningful minutes for UVM are suddenly going to come in and be a game changer - that is pretty rare, but again, I hope that you're right.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think Vermont will always have a chance as long as Davis is healthy. To me he is clearly the best player in the league and that will keep Vermont in the discussion for the top of the league.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, Ryan Davis is very nice, and Vermont has a lot returning, all except Stef of course. Ryan must stay healthy - and out of foul trouble. Obviously, Stony's Olaniyi has POY talent. Should be a fun matchup.

The arena delay was/is due to an international health crisis. With that said, I think everyone realizes that there are much more important things than fancy arenas.

As far as being "hungry," I think everyone is. Other things to consider: Who is more talented? Who has the best chemistry? Who put in the most work?

At least initially, I like Vermont's new coaching hire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Assuming one of our transfers can contribute consistently, I think we are better than last year. Heck, we prolly have more guards than any team. The real issue will be - can coaches handle juggling and managing mins for so many players and keep everyone happy. I even think the lack of bigs is overstated. Georges should be able to at least get some min (no idea how much he has developed) and Murphy, Davis, Duncan, Powell, and Fiorillo. Who else did we lose other than Stef? Sure that is a big loss (and I wish him the best), but Stef was not irreplaceable. Hope that SB performs as highly as this preseason ranking thinks. That would be great for the conference. I do hope that you're right, but saying that UVM has dealt with this in the past??? How so? When was the last time the team lost 3 guys off its coaching staff? When Brennan left? When was the last time the BBall team/athletic department was part of an NCAA lawsuit? I also noticed the table the published about the upcoming betting statistics at playersbest.com . When was the last time a winning coach couldn't get an interview at a peer mid major in the off season? That's gotta sting. Becker also made very clear that the University HAD to move forward on getting the new arena done. The delays are largely due to Covid, but does that even matter? He said what he said.
Same here and I hope you are right. Lots of hungry players and it will be tough for the coach to keep them happy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Senior experience and leadership is certainly helpful, but isn't every guy in the league going to be "hungry"? Assuming guys that have not played meaningful minutes for UVM are suddenly going to come in and be a game changer - that is pretty rare, but again, I hope that you're right.
By hungry I mean - a lot of guys that came in with huge expectations, are talented, but haven't played up to their talent yet. Duncan, Thomas... Deloney...

But I guess it is a fair point. Everyone wants to get better. I just think there is a little extra fire/pride for the guys that were highly recruited out of high school and haven't shown all they can do. So, perhaps a better way to describe it would be - we have a LOT of untapped potential.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When was the last time a winning coach couldn't get an interview at a peer mid major in the off season? That's gotta sting. Becker also made very clear that the University HAD to move forward on getting the new arena done. The delays are largely due to Covid, but does that even matter? He said what he said.
Would you be able to elaborate on this Becker situation; was he looking around for new opportunities this off-season? I haven't been following closely so might have missed something. I'd love to hear more, or at least where and what context you heard this, if you care to share.

As far as the rankings for both SBU and UVM I'd say they're both too high. As others said rankings like this are worthless, especially when they're based on new transfers who have never played together let alone on said team, and then further complicated by coming off the heals of somewhat worthless Corona-ravaged season. I don't think there's enough evidence to support that either team is top-144. We're a lower-end mid-major conference so I'd say anything top-200 when they haven't done much the year before (no AE program proved anything last year) would be bullish.

I won't touch the SBU situation other than to say they always have the best recruiting success which I think has everything to do with being relatively close to NYC and a flagship NYS universities. It does seem like a lot of recruits don't go there to play for SBU. Rather SBU seems to be more of a stepping stone to improve their own game, or move up from Juniors--which leads to so much turnover and transfer outs to higher B10/Big East/ACC programs (Olaniyi, Gueye, etc).

As far as Vermont I'm not nearly as bullish on Alamututu as many seem to be. That is only because I've been burned before on guys who have dominated small, undeveloped high school play only to underwhelm a little bit at the D1 level (Skyler Nash, etc). The Finn Sullivan case still seems out of left field and reminds me of Josh Hearhily a little bit (I believe the last time we got a west-coast transfer?), so again I'll have to wait and see if he clicks with the team. The talent is there, but frankly the talent was there with Hearhily too but that never translated to a productive two-way player. We just don't get many west-coast players here at UVM which is why I was so intrigued initially with Deloney. I would say I'm most excited about Gibson. Proven and while he plays a position that we're deep at it's also a position that's easier to fit into Becker's system than say a PF or even SF so I think he has the most potential to have an immediate impact out of all of the newcomers.

Overall I'm trying to get excited for this season, but realistically I see UVM struggle to get to 20-wins and there are so much background noise with all the scandals and I assume Cieplicki's departure (I'm not going to speculate on why he left as I know nothing) will be a real demoralizer. I just hope the fans stand by UVM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would you be able to elaborate on this Becker situation; was he looking around for new opportunities this off-season? I haven't been following closely so might have missed something. I'd love to hear more, or at least where and what context you heard this, if you care to share.

As far as the rankings for both SBU and UVM I'd say they're both too high. As others said rankings like this are worthless, especially when they're based on new transfers who have never played together let alone on said team, and then further complicated by coming off the heals of somewhat worthless Corona-ravaged season. I don't think there's enough evidence to support that either team is top-144. We're a lower-end mid-major conference so I'd say anything top-200 when they haven't done much the year before (no AE program proved anything last year) would be bullish.

I won't touch the SBU situation other than to say they always have the best recruiting success which I think has everything to do with being relatively close to NYC and a flagship NYS universities. It does seem like a lot of recruits don't go there to play for SBU. Rather SBU seems to be more of a stepping stone to improve their own game, or move up from Juniors--which leads to so much turnover and transfer outs to higher B10/Big East/ACC programs (Olaniyi, Gueye, etc).

As far as Vermont I'm not nearly as bullish on Alamututu as many seem to be. That is only because I've been burned before on guys who have dominated small, undeveloped high school play only to underwhelm a little bit at the D1 level (Skyler Nash, etc). The Finn Sullivan case still seems out of left field and reminds me of Josh Hearhily a little bit (I believe the last time we got a west-coast transfer?), so again I'll have to wait and see if he clicks with the team. The talent is there, but frankly the talent was there with Hearhily too but that never translated to a productive two-way player. We just don't get many west-coast players here at UVM which is why I was so intrigued initially with Deloney. I would say I'm most excited about Gibson. Proven and while he plays a position that we're deep at it's also a position that's easier to fit into Becker's system than say a PF or even SF so I think he has the most potential to have an immediate impact out of all of the newcomers.

Overall I'm trying to get excited for this season, but realistically I see UVM struggle to get to 20-wins and there are so much background noise with all the scandals and I assume Cieplicki's departure (I'm not going to speculate on why he left as I know nothing) will be a real demoralizer. I just hope the fans stand by UVM.
I enjoyed your contribution. Did Skyler really get a legit shot? It seems that he was injured almost from the jump. Yes, it has been a while since then. I thought that Hearhily got a raw deal, but I don't know the inside details. I liked Finn Sullivan's tape a lot. I think he can contribute, period. Different players, different era, not sure that the Hearhily/Sullivan comparison is appropriate. Sam has some nice buzz and he seems like a beast, but we'll see. I'm hopeful that Vermont will be very competitive. And I don't think it's unusual for coaches to sniff around in the offseason for opportunities. It's part of the carousel. As far as going to Pitt? How many AEast coaches have made the jump to the ACC, the best conference in the country, in any capacity? I'm sure there were hundreds of applications for this position and usually you have to have a hook.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may be crazy, but I really think NH will be in the mix with Vermont and SB. Bring basically everyone back from last year’s 3rd place team and add a couple shooters. I’m hoping Mattos plays a bigger role.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
How many AEast coaches have made the jump to the ACC, the best conference in the country, in any capacity?
I guess I don't know how many were willing to take a support staff position that has no coaching responsibilities. I don't think I can name one that went from an Associate Head Coach position to a non-coaching staff position.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Is it actually a done deal for KC going to Pitt?

To me, UVM looks loaded with bigs and guards, and some of the guards are 6"5" plus. When have we had such a roster?

With the depth available I wouldn't be surprised to see continuous full court press from Becker with platoon subs. Whatever they do it will be an entertaining and, I think, successful season.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I'm thinking no. I have been wondering the same thing and decided to take a look at the website. Well, the UVM men's basketball site lists the roster from last year. But if I click on KC's name, here is the very beginning of his bio:

"The 2021-22 season will mark the 11th season on the Vermont men's basketball staff for former Catamount Kyle Cieplicki '08."
That would seem to indicate that he has not left for Pitt. Who was the person that said that he left? I know it was a while ago.

·
Registered
176 Posts

To me, UVM looks loaded with bigs and guards, and some of the guards are 6"5" plus. When have we had such a roster?

With the depth available I wouldn't be surprised to see continuous full court press from Becker with platoon subs. Whatever they do it will be an entertaining and, I think, successful season.
Not sure where you get that UVM has a bunch of 6’5”+ guards. All we have in guards who reach 6’5” is Robin Duncan. Patella has been playing SF at that height. But the apparent athleticism of many of our guards DOES seem like a step up.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Kyle Cieplicki is gone. His name has been removed in the athletic directory. As for his bio, it probably was the old SID or some intern they had go through and update bios for them.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

1 - 20 of 32 Posts