Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Kyle Cieplicki is gone. His name has been removed in the athletic directory. As for his bio, it probably was the old SID or some intern they had go through and update bios for them.

View attachment 21273
Well damn. Thanks for that correction. This whole situation is kinda bizarre: No release by either school (wouldn't expect anything really from Vermont), an updated bio, removal from the athletic dept directory, no local newspaper article regarding his departure (would think given his name the BFP would have mentioned it), not listed anywhere on Pitt's website that I could find.

The Daily Dirt mentioned that he had heard from multiple sources of the KC to Pitt rumors, and that was on August 24th. It has been a couple of weeks now and still nothing anywhere else. It's like he has disappeared off the face of the earth.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I may be crazy, but I really think NH will be in the mix with Vermont and SB. Bring basically everyone back from last year’s 3rd place team and add a couple shooters. I’m hoping Mattos plays a bigger role.
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. There’s probably 5 or 6 teams that can say with a straight face they have a shot to win the league. UNH is definitely one of those. Between COVID, player movement in and out, and potential distractions at Hartford and UVM, who knows what will happen. Roster stability at UNH should be a plus.

As for UVM, whether we have 10 guys on the roster or 30, if nobody steps up as a consistent threat from behind the arc, I think we have trouble. Right now, I think the only guy that keeps an opposing coach up at night offensively is Davis. Pack the lane to limit his touches, which also helps keep Shungu from doing what he does best, and dare others to beat you from outside. At this point, if I absolutely need a three, it’s actually Davis I’d probably have shoot it. I’m hoping the transfers fill some of that gap. I like all of our players. Every team needs “glue” guys. It’s just that we have more glue than a nursery school classroom at this point.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. There’s probably 5 or 6 teams that can say with a straight face they have a shot to win the league. UNH is definitely one of those. Between COVID, player movement in and out, and potential distractions at Hartford and UVM, who knows what will happen. Roster stability at UNH should be a plus.

As for UVM, whether we have 10 guys on the roster or 30, if nobody steps up as a consistent threat from behind the arc, I think we have trouble. Right now, I think the only guy that keeps an opposing coach up at night offensively is Davis. Pack the lane to limit his touches, which also helps keep Shungu from doing what he does best, and dare others to beat you from outside. At this point, if I absolutely need a three, it’s actually Davis I’d probably have shoot it. I’m hoping the transfers fill some of that gap. I like all of our players. Every team needs “glue” guys. It’s just that we have more glue than a nursery school classroom at this point.
Hoping that Gibson and Sullivan fill that need. It would be nice if Powell took another leap. Benny is a stud.

·
Gr8t Dane
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
NH could be very good. The league as a whole seems to have taken a big step forward. Hopefully multiple teams do well in the OOC to bring the league RPI up this year, if not, beating each other up in conference wont mean much for overall rankings.

I'm bullish on UAlbany this year. It is yet to be seen how Killings is as a coach, but he has proved to be a great recruiter. New coach and mostly new roster will keep them off most people's pre-season radar, add to that an extremely difficult OOC and they could have a real rough start to the year, but if they gel by league play they could be a tough tough out.

Not that it means anything, but the barttorvik site has Albany with the highest Projected Effective Talent which is a measure of composite recruiting ranks weighted for minutes played. In other words the talent is there, the question will be how good Killings is with the X's and O's

Returners:
PF: Doles: Put together a case to be all-conference and was a huge piece
PG: Horton: Turned it on at the end of the season and has become a real solid leader
PG/SG: Champion: Was better than advertised and adds major leadership
PG: Amica: was hurt all season last year, but the couple of minutes he played show a lot. Stupidly fast
SF: Hutchinson: Was all rookie team his freshman year, but really regressed last season. Might be a bench player, but the talent is there for this league
SF: Shafer: Had moments last year where he looked like the best player on the floor, and others he looked lost. similar outlook to Hutch

Transfers:
Sr. PF DeVondre Perry: Strong player from Temple - was a starter before injury
So. SG/SF Gerald Drumgoole: Transfer from Pitt, highly recruited out of Rochester, should be a beast in the AE
Sr. SG Matt Cerruti - came from D2, but a sharpshooter
Sr. C Paul Newman - Transfer from Bucknell

Freshman:
SG: Ny'Mire Little - highly recruited guard
SF: Aaron Reddish - if he is half the player his big brother is, he could be a 1st teamer as a soph
SF: Justin Neely - I've heard amazing things here, my pick for AE ROY

Walk-ons
SO SG: Luke Fizulich - should be on scholly next season. Transfer from Marquette
FR PF: Tairi Ketner - Don't know much about him, but was offered at Bryant

Biggest weakness is the lack of a "true" center - but that shouldn't hurt them in AE play, just might be hard to compete against the power schools in the OOC and in the tournament should they make it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well damn. Thanks for that correction. This whole situation is kinda bizarre: No release by either school (wouldn't expect anything really from Vermont), an updated bio, removal from the athletic dept directory, no local newspaper article regarding his departure (would think given his name the BFP would have mentioned it), not listed anywhere on Pitt's website that I could find.

The Daily Dirt mentioned that he had heard from multiple sources of the KC to Pitt rumors, and that was on August 24th. It has been a couple of weeks now and still nothing anywhere else. It's like he has disappeared off the face of the earth.
UVM men’s basketball coaching page also “updated” the bio for Greg Snyder, the former DoBo who has been gone for months, and still lists him and Cieplicki along with Hamlet Tibbs…Cieplicki has been gone for several weeks now — there wasn’t any doubt, and UVM updating bios of coaches Who have left doesn’t seem to be isolated just to him…

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Not sure where you get that UVM has a bunch of 6’5”+ guards. All we have in guards who reach 6’5” is Robin Duncan. Patella has been playing SF at that height. But the apparent athleticism of many of our guards DOES seem like a step up.
The new roster isn't up yet, but at least 2 of the new guards, Sullivan and Alamutu, are 6' 5" or taller. Gibson and Guillory are 6' 4".

·
Jump Hook Assassin
1,881 Posts
Famous college basketball playing dad alert! RIP Lari
Man, I've had this account a long time.

People can call Stony Brook stacked with talent all they want, but I really have to see something from Geno Ford before I can believe in him. He just hasn't been impressive. The offense just doesn't flow—not nearly enough shots in rhythm or without somebody draped all over the shooter. Talent-wise, we're real thin in the paint and will have to gang rebound with our guards (Greene and Olaniyi are both outstanding for their size). Bully ball might give us some trouble.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Thus far (they are up to #57), here are some of the rankings:

137 - Bryant
132 - James Madison
121 - Rhode Island
119 - Harvard
115 - Rider
113 - Elon
112 - Vermont
110 - Princeton
100 - Stony Brook
94 - Northeastern
90 - Colgate
87 - Buffalo
85 - Davidson
84 - Rutgers
83 - Georgetown
71 - Yale
69 - St. Louis
68 - St. John's
63 - Iona

It was interesting to see schools like Dayton, Butler, Cincinnati all around the 100 ranking. Guess some of those top mid-major Midwestern schools are rebuilding this year.

Also interesting to note Rutgers at #84. I'm guessing it could be a long year for them in the Big Ten as that league is extremely top heavy with Purdue, Michigan and Illinois all top 10ish and Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan State all Top 25ish. Wisconsin and Indiana figure to be pretty good as well. Iowa should still be solid but will clearly take a couple of steps backwards.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thus far (they are up to #57), here are some of the rankings:

137 - Bryant
132 - James Madison
121 - Rhode Island
119 - Harvard
115 - Rider
113 - Elon
112 - Vermont
110 - Princeton
100 - Stony Brook
94 - Northeastern
90 - Colgate
87 - Buffalo
85 - Davidson
84 - Rutgers
83 - Georgetown
71 - Yale
69 - St. Louis
68 - St. John's
63 - Iona

It was interesting to see schools like Dayton, Butler, Cincinnati all around the 100 ranking. Guess some of those top mid-major Midwestern schools are rebuilding this year.

Also interesting to note Rutgers at #84. I'm guessing it could be a long year for them in the Big Ten as that league is extremely top heavy with Purdue, Michigan and Illinois all top 10ish and Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan State all Top 25ish. Wisconsin and Indiana figure to be pretty good as well. Iowa should still be solid but will clearly take a couple of steps backwards.
Iona is rated higher than St. John's here - would make a great rivalry game.

·
Gr8t Dane
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It's almost October. Practices start pretty quick. anyone know of other pre-season previews of the AE out there yet? Many of the typical sites that do previews of the AE like threemanweave haven't gotten to the AE yet.

Starving for basketball news 🤬

21 - 32 of 32 Posts