Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

2021-22 College Sports Madness Top 144

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  godanesgo99 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 ·
Stonybrook
I'm not a Stony Brook fan but I have to assume it drives them crazy to see that put as one word. Much like Longisland, Holycross, Centralflorida and Bostoncollege would hate it as well.

#5 ·
I generally don't make predictions about the season, especially without having seen one second of the team in live action. With that being said, I feel like this year will be a relative down year for UVM. I think that there is still too much non-basketball stuff swirling around. I hope that I am wrong, but that's my gut...

#6 ·
Disagree. Don't know what SB has - sounds like some very high profile transfers. So I won't compare. But, UVM has dealt with this shit in the past (off court issues). Its a senior heavy team with guys that have a lot to prove. Murphy, Davis, Shungu, Duncan et al will all be hungry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Murphy and Duncan make significant strides with the additional time to heal and more time in the system.

Assuming one of our transfers can contribute consistently, I think we are better than last year. Heck, we prolly have more guards than any team. The real issue will be - can coaches handle juggling and managing mins for so many players and keep everyone happy. I even think the lack of bigs is overstated. Georges should be able to at least get some min (no idea how much he has developed) and Murphy, Davis, Duncan, Powell, and Fiorillo. Who else did we lose other than Stef? Sure that is a big loss (and I wish him the best), but Stef was not irreplaceable.

Hope that SB performs as highly as this preseason ranking thinks. That would be great for the conference.

#10 ·
Yes, Ryan Davis is very nice, and Vermont has a lot returning, all except Stef of course. Ryan must stay healthy - and out of foul trouble. Obviously, Stony's Olaniyi has POY talent. Should be a fun matchup.

The arena delay was/is due to an international health crisis. With that said, I think everyone realizes that there are much more important things than fancy arenas.

As far as being "hungry," I think everyone is. Other things to consider: Who is more talented? Who has the best chemistry? Who put in the most work?

At least initially, I like Vermont's new coaching hire.

#11 ·
Disagree. Don't know what SB has - sounds like some very high profile transfers. So I won't compare. But, UVM has dealt with this shit in the past (off court issues). Its a senior heavy team with guys that have a lot to prove. Murphy, Davis, Shungu, Duncan et al will all be hungry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Murphy and Duncan make significant strides with the additional time to heal and more time in the system.
Assuming one of our transfers can contribute consistently, I think we are better than last year. Heck, we prolly have more guards than any team. The real issue will be - can coaches handle juggling and managing mins for so many players and keep everyone happy. I even think the lack of bigs is overstated. Georges should be able to at least get some min (no idea how much he has developed) and Murphy, Davis, Duncan, Powell, and Fiorillo. Who else did we lose other than Stef? Sure that is a big loss (and I wish him the best), but Stef was not irreplaceable. Hope that SB performs as highly as this preseason ranking thinks. That would be great for the conference. I do hope that you're right, but saying that UVM has dealt with this in the past??? How so? When was the last time the team lost 3 guys off its coaching staff? When Brennan left? When was the last time the BBall team/athletic department was part of an NCAA lawsuit? I also noticed the table the published about the upcoming betting statistics at playersbest.com . When was the last time a winning coach couldn't get an interview at a peer mid major in the off season? That's gotta sting. Becker also made very clear that the University HAD to move forward on getting the new arena done. The delays are largely due to Covid, but does that even matter? He said what he said.
Same here and I hope you are right. Lots of hungry players and it will be tough for the coach to keep them happy.

#22 ·
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. There’s probably 5 or 6 teams that can say with a straight face they have a shot to win the league. UNH is definitely one of those. Between COVID, player movement in and out, and potential distractions at Hartford and UVM, who knows what will happen. Roster stability at UNH should be a plus.

As for UVM, whether we have 10 guys on the roster or 30, if nobody steps up as a consistent threat from behind the arc, I think we have trouble. Right now, I think the only guy that keeps an opposing coach up at night offensively is Davis. Pack the lane to limit his touches, which also helps keep Shungu from doing what he does best, and dare others to beat you from outside. At this point, if I absolutely need a three, it’s actually Davis I’d probably have shoot it. I’m hoping the transfers fill some of that gap. I like all of our players. Every team needs “glue” guys. It’s just that we have more glue than a nursery school classroom at this point.

#17 ·
Is it actually a done deal for KC going to Pitt?

To me, UVM looks loaded with bigs and guards, and some of the guards are 6"5" plus. When have we had such a roster?

With the depth available I wouldn't be surprised to see continuous full court press from Becker with platoon subs. Whatever they do it will be an entertaining and, I think, successful season.

#18 ·
Is it actually a done deal for KC going to Pitt?
I'm thinking no. I have been wondering the same thing and decided to take a look at the website. Well, the UVM men's basketball site lists the roster from last year. But if I click on KC's name, here is the very beginning of his bio:

"The 2021-22 season will mark the 11th season on the Vermont men's basketball staff for former Catamount Kyle Cieplicki '08."
That would seem to indicate that he has not left for Pitt. Who was the person that said that he left? I know it was a while ago.

#21 ·
Kyle Cieplicki is gone. His name has been removed in the athletic directory. As for his bio, it probably was the old SID or some intern they had go through and update bios for them.

View attachment 21273
Well damn. Thanks for that correction. This whole situation is kinda bizarre: No release by either school (wouldn't expect anything really from Vermont), an updated bio, removal from the athletic dept directory, no local newspaper article regarding his departure (would think given his name the BFP would have mentioned it), not listed anywhere on Pitt's website that I could find.

The Daily Dirt mentioned that he had heard from multiple sources of the KC to Pitt rumors, and that was on August 24th. It has been a couple of weeks now and still nothing anywhere else. It's like he has disappeared off the face of the earth.

#30 ·
Thus far (they are up to #57), here are some of the rankings:

137 - Bryant
132 - James Madison
121 - Rhode Island
119 - Harvard
115 - Rider
113 - Elon
112 - Vermont
110 - Princeton
100 - Stony Brook
94 - Northeastern
90 - Colgate
87 - Buffalo
85 - Davidson
84 - Rutgers
83 - Georgetown
71 - Yale
69 - St. Louis
68 - St. John's
63 - Iona

It was interesting to see schools like Dayton, Butler, Cincinnati all around the 100 ranking. Guess some of those top mid-major Midwestern schools are rebuilding this year.

Also interesting to note Rutgers at #84. I'm guessing it could be a long year for them in the Big Ten as that league is extremely top heavy with Purdue, Michigan and Illinois all top 10ish and Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan State all Top 25ish. Wisconsin and Indiana figure to be pretty good as well. Iowa should still be solid but will clearly take a couple of steps backwards.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid
#31 ·
Thus far (they are up to #57), here are some of the rankings:

137 - Bryant
132 - James Madison
121 - Rhode Island
119 - Harvard
115 - Rider
113 - Elon
112 - Vermont
110 - Princeton
100 - Stony Brook
94 - Northeastern
90 - Colgate
87 - Buffalo
85 - Davidson
84 - Rutgers
83 - Georgetown
71 - Yale
69 - St. Louis
68 - St. John's
63 - Iona

It was interesting to see schools like Dayton, Butler, Cincinnati all around the 100 ranking. Guess some of those top mid-major Midwestern schools are rebuilding this year.

Also interesting to note Rutgers at #84. I'm guessing it could be a long year for them in the Big Ten as that league is extremely top heavy with Purdue, Michigan and Illinois all top 10ish and Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan State all Top 25ish. Wisconsin and Indiana figure to be pretty good as well. Iowa should still be solid but will clearly take a couple of steps backwards.
Iona is rated higher than St. John's here - would make a great rivalry game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.