Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start this post as a catch-all for any of the preseason polls/picks that get published in magazines, websites, etc. And I suppose if people want to chime in with their own predictions they can dump them here.

Lindy's preseason magazine is out. Here's what they had for AE picks...

1. Vermont
2. Stony Brook
3. Hartford
4. New Hampshire
5. UMBC
6. Lowell
7. Albany
8. NJIT
9. Maine
10. Binghamton

First Team: Austin Williams - Hartford, Elijah Olaniyi - SBU, Ben Shungu - UVM, Jayden Martinez - UNH, Ryan Davis - UVM
Second Team: Juan Felix Rodriguez - SBU, Jahlil Jenkins - SBU, Connor Withers - UML, Nick Guadarrama - UNH, De'Vondre Perry - UA

POTY: Ryan Davis
Newcomer OTY: Elijah Olaniyi (Newcomer Technicality Alert!)
Best Shooter: Kalil Thomas - UML
Best Rebounder: Stephane Ingo - Maine
Best Playmaker: JF Rodriguez
Best Defender: Ben Shungu
Most Versatile: Jayden Martinez
Best NBA Prospect: Elijah Olaniyi

Also, Matt Norlander from CBS has been doing his thing where he ranks all D-1 teams from 1-358. Here's how he's ranked the AE...

104. Vermont
178. Hartford
199. UMBC
239. Lowell
262. Stony Brook
268. Albany
271. New Hampshire
324. NJIT
337. Binghamton
354. Maine

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thought I'd start this post as a catch-all for any of the preseason polls/picks that get published in magazines, websites, etc. And I suppose if people want to chime in with their own predictions they can dump them here.

1. Vermont
2. Stony Brook
3. Hartford
4. New Hampshire
5. UMBC
6. Lowell
7. Albany
8. NJIT
9. Maine
10. Binghamton

First Team: Austin Williams - Hartford, Elijah Olaniyi - SBU, Ben Shungu - UVM, Jayden Martinez - UNH, Ryan Davis - UVM
Second Team: Juan Felix Rodriguez - SBU, Jahlil Jenkins - SBU, Connor Withers - UML, Nick Guadarrama - UNH, De'Vondre Perry - UA

Also, Matt Norlander from CBS has been doing his thing where he ranks all D-1 teams from 1-358. Here's how he's ranked the AE...

104. Vermont
178. Hartford
199. UMBC
239. Lowell
262. Stony Brook
268. Albany
271. New Hampshire
324. NJIT
337. Binghamton
354. Maine
I say look out for Hartford. They are bringing back A LOT, have a great coach who wants to make a statement, kids with a similar mindset. UVM should be right there but let’s see how uVM’s massive turnover of coaches/support staff and the huge numbers of kids competing for minutes plays out. I am less clear about SBU, UNH and UMBC as teams likely to push into the top 4.

·
Registered
3 Posts

1. Vermont
2. Stony Brook
3. Hartford
4. New Hampshire
5. UMBC
6. Lowell
7. Albany
8. NJIT
9. Maine
10. Binghamton

104. Vermont
178. Hartford
199. UMBC
239. Lowell
262. Stony Brook
268. Albany
271. New Hampshire
324. NJIT
337. Binghamton
354. Maine
Stony Brook's 262 ranking (and Vermont's 104 ranking) made me question the credibility of this ranking - as much as I want Vermont to be 158 spots better than Stony.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I say look out for Hartford. They are bringing back A LOT, have a great coach who wants to make a statement, kids with a similar mindset. UVM should be right there but let’s see how uVM’s massive turnover of coaches/support staff and the huge numbers of kids competing for minutes plays out. I am less clear about SBU, UNH and UMBC as teams likely to push into the top 4.
After reading this article, this is why I now put Hartford as favorites this year. They look to be substantially better than last year. And this from a stalwart UVM fan: https://www.courant.com/sports/coll...0211013-33bf6kojprb3tkeq2facvznx3q-story.html

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stony Brook's 262 ranking (and Vermont's 104 ranking) made me question the credibility of this ranking - as much as I want Vermont to be 158 spots better than Stony.
Agreed. I think Vermont is a little overvalued in this ranking, but SBU is very undervalued.

I'm not ready to go out on a limb with a real projection, but I feel like this year will look similar to last year: more parity in the top in middle, regular-season champ will probably lose like 4-5 games, and the tourney champ may come from a couple spots down.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts

104. Vermont
178. Hartford
199. UMBC
239. Lowell
262. Stony Brook
268. Albany
271. New Hampshire
324. NJIT
337. Binghamton
354. Maine
As someone said above, no way Vermont is 158 spots better than SB. That's just crazy talk. In addition, I don't see any team in the conference being 74 spots above the entire rest of the league. No way. There appears to be too much parity across the league at the moment. Also, Maine will NOT be one of the worst 5 or so teams in the nation. They will be improved for sure. Between the MEAC, ASUN, SWAC, Northeast, Southern, Big Sky, etc, there will be several teams below them. In fact, Maine will not even be the worst team in the AE this year.

Lastly, there are so many unknowns going into this year...many more than normal. Hartford's status - will it serve as a motivator or become a distraction as the year winds down? Vermont has 112 kids on their roster - will they all stay happy throughout the campaign? The rosters at so many schools are so different from the extra year given by the NCAA - which ones become cohesive units?

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Norlander's ratings are pretty ill informed (so is trying to slot every D1 team), but I've come to expect that from most publications simply because those doing the projecting don't follow the league and maybe only talk to 1-2 coaches in the league to get a feel for it rather than you know, watching games from the previous season with any sort of regularity.

UNH is the most fascinating team in the league to me. Recently, they've been such a "they are what they are" mid-pack and decently competitive team that doesn't get over the hump. Last year, finishing 3rd but with a stretch of playing Lowell 4 times in a row and going 2-2 was a tough break. Even though they struggle to score traditionally, defend decently but aren't high-level or elite for an AE level or anything, they still are bringing back their top 6 scorers. It also appears their transfers might shore up some outside shooting woes. It's TBD, but Seymour is a 37% shooter at both Siena and GW, and Foster shot 42% in D2. He might not replicate that in D1 and depends on what is role is at UNH, but they addressed some needs to a team that was in need of some more offensive punch.

If it all clicks for UNH they could be right in the title hunt...but they could also just as easily be 3rd or 4th and get bounced in the semis. However, this year I think that's something you could apply to the entire probable top 4-5 teams (my opinion in no order are UNH, Stony Brook, UVM, Hartford and UMBC).

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I don't know what Ferry's planning on offense other than to try to push tempo more, but a backcourt of Rogers, Owens, and Salnave is competitive with anyone else in the conference. Having lost Horvath at the 4 is going to be very tough to replace. I have a feeling that we're going to need to rely a lot on Keondre Kennedy and guys like Obeng-Mensah to try to fill in the gaps. It's unfortunate that Akin decided to go because he would have started at C and would have made it a lot easier to figure out the other front court players.

We've added what I guess are two more walk-on players in SR G Kenneth Sumpter from Harford (MD) CC and JC Harris from Northwestern HS in Maryland. I haven't heard much about them and it appears Rico Quinton has left.

My guess is that we're going to be guard heavy with some hybrids at the C.

·
Premium Member
33,674 Posts
I mean, the rankings differential between Vermont and Stony Brook seems like maybe a bit too much, but objectively Stony Brook was not a very good basketball team last season. 9-14, 7-9 in conference, right? On paper they definitely have brought in some impact dudes but who knows how that will co-exist; no way of knowing or thinking that's all going to mesh better then wondering how Vermont will manage its 112 kid rotation.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I mean, the rankings differential between Vermont and Stony Brook seems like maybe a bit too much, but objectively Stony Brook was not a very good basketball team last season. 9-14, 7-9 in conference, right? On paper they definitely have brought in some impact dudes but who knows how that will co-exist; no way of knowing or thinking that's all going to mesh better then wondering how Vermont will manage its 112 kid rotation.
College basketball as a whole was pretty much a shitshow last year with covid...games cancelled, games scheduled within days of them being played, players & teams opting out of the season, back to back conference games on weekends, unbalanced schedules, etc. But yeah, that's what Stony Brook's record was. Meanwhile, Vermont was 10-5, 10-4 in the conference, which also included 2 wins over Maine, which Stony Brook did not get to score those 2 victories. The 'Cats also didn't play Hartford or New Hampshire in the regular season, 4 opportunities for some losses right there. Making predictions based on the previous year is always kind of a crapshoot anyway, but this year is off the chart.

And yes, how their roster meshes is a big question mark - kinda like just about every school in this league thus why I mentioned that as well as a question mark.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Registered
799 Posts
I’m pretty intrigued to see what Albany will look like as well. It’s not a stretch to say that any one of 7 teams could end up with a top 2 or 3 seed.

UVM gets ranked highly by all of these preseason publications mostly out of habit at this point. But the point about last year is well taken. We were 7-1 against the bottom four teams and 3-4 against everyone else.

A handful of things that individually aren’t real awesome (COVID, Hartford, crazy roster turnover, etc.) are ironically shaping this up to be one of the most interesting seasons I can recall.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
To me, it looks like this season will may well be the most evenly matched conference in a long time, maybe ever. We will certainly see how much an additional year of development improves individual players, but I think we will also see how that year improves the ability to play together as a team across all the conference teams. It really seems like every AE team has a chance to be a contender.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I’m pretty intrigued to see what Albany will look like as well. It’s not a stretch to say that any one of 7 teams could end up with a top 2 or 3 seed.

UVM gets ranked highly by all of these preseason publications mostly out of habit at this point. But the point about last year is well taken. We were 7-1 against the bottom four teams and 3-4 against everyone else.

A handful of things that individually aren’t real awesome (COVID, Hartford, crazy roster turnover, etc.) are ironically shaping this up to be one of the most interesting seasons I can recall.
Completely agree with everything, esp that last sentence. The season definitely has a lot of intrigue, and not just within the America East.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As someone said above, no way Vermont is 158 spots better than SB. That's just crazy talk. In addition, I don't see any team in the conference being 74 spots above the entire rest of the league. No way. There appears to be too much parity across the league at the moment. Also, Maine will NOT be one of the worst 5 or so teams in the nation. They will be improved for sure. Between the MEAC, ASUN, SWAC, Northeast, Southern, Big Sky, etc, there will be several teams below them. In fact, Maine will not even be the worst team in the AE this year.

Lastly, there are so many unknowns going into this year...many more than normal. Hartford's status - will it serve as a motivator or become a distraction as the year winds down? Vermont has 112 kids on their roster - will they all stay happy throughout the campaign? The rosters at so many schools are so different from the extra year given by the NCAA - which ones become cohesive units?
I think Hartford's D3 situation will motivate if I had to take a guess...

No, not all of Vermont's 112 will be happy. If you were recruited to play, you didn't come to sit. Some of the 112 will redshirt. Some won't play much if at all, and they will be unhappy. The bigger question: How will Vermont's playing rotation - maybe 8 or 9 - actually play?

·
Registered
14,275 Posts
Will be seeing Albany tomorrow in Purple and Gold scrimmage...expect orgasm face and championship predictions by 3pm.

END OF TRANSMISSION

·
Registered
14,275 Posts
Just left, yep see you on championship weekend...tsk tsk

·
Premium Member
33,674 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts