Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than dwell on the sadness of the Semifinal game thread, let's just bite the bullet and do this. Clean sheet, new story.

2021-22 ROSTER (as of 3/8)

-12 scholarships used / 12 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Justin Mazzulla
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory

*OFFICIAL DECISIONS PENDING
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu
-Stef Smith

*COACH: John Becker

·
Registered
340 Posts
Regarding the roster, consider this. Look at how the recruiting classes of the last five years have fared (I'm only including walk-ons if they subsequently earned scholarships). I've ranked them on a scale of 1 = Little Contribution; 2 = Some Contribution; 3 = Solid Contribution; 4 = Strong Contribution; 5 = Anthony Lamb:

2016 CLASS:
Lamb 5
Shungu 4
Ev. Duncan 3 (or was he 2015?)
Nash N/A
Speidel N/A

2017 CLASS:
Smith 4
Patella 3
Dalrymple 1

2018 CLASS:
Davis 4
R. Duncan 3
Powell 3
Kpedi 1

2019 CLASS;
Deloney 2
Giddens 2
Fiorillo 2
Demuth 1
Beckett 1

2020 CLASS:
Mazzulla 3
Murphy 2
Lefebvre 1
Andre N/A

Recruiting is never an exact science, of course, but the drop-off in production over the past two years has been dramatic. One can correctly argue that the past two classes haven't had the time to develop that the older players have, but in each case of a player rated 3 or higher, their potential to contribute was apparent after their first two seasons at UVM. At present, next year's class consists of only two guards - they might turn out to be good ones, but it's certainly not like 2016 when the Cats brought in Lamb, Shungu, Everett (?), and two others who appeared to be promising before serious injuries. 2021-22 might be a strong season if there's a significant return from this year's seniors, but UVM would appear to be at risk of a big drop-off a year from now.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Regarding the roster, consider this. Look at how the recruiting classes of the last five years have fared (I'm only including walk-ons if they subsequently earned scholarships). I've ranked them on a scale of 1 = Little Contribution; 2 = Some Contribution; 3 = Solid Contribution; 4 = Strong Contribution; 5 = Anthony Lamb:

2016 CLASS:
Lamb 5
Shungu 4
Ev. Duncan 3 (or was he 2015?)
Nash N/A
Speidel N/A

2017 CLASS:
Smith 4
Patella 3
Dalrymple 1

2018 CLASS:
Davis 4
R. Duncan 3
Powell 3
Kpedi 1

2019 CLASS;
Deloney 2
Giddens 2
Fiorillo 2
Demuth 1
Beckett 1

2020 CLASS:
Mazzulla 3
Murphy 2
Lefebvre 1
Andre N/A

Recruiting is never an exact science, of course, but the drop-off in production over the past two years has been dramatic. One can correctly argue that the past two classes haven't had the time to develop that the older players have, but in each case of a player rated 3 or higher, their potential to contribute was apparent after their first two seasons at UVM. At present, next year's class consists of only two guards - they might turn out to be good ones, but it's certainly not like 2016 when the Cats brought in Lamb, Shungu, Everett (?), and two others who appeared to be promising before serious injuries. 2021-22 might be a strong season if there's a significant return from this year's seniors, but UVM would appear to be at risk of a big drop-off a year from now.
Every year opposing fans predict UVM are losing too much and the team will be down next year or the year after.....it never happens. Yes some years they are better than others but they have done a good job reloading enough to be at the top of the conference every year. I expect them to continue to do that Going forward.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,130 Posts
The main issue this year was a lack of progression from the backcourt reserves. Beckett, while in better shape, is still a sieve on defense. Deloney and Duncan both regressed from where they were at the previous year. The front court wasn't much better with Demuth still the mostly passive player he was as a sophomore. The often injured Murphy missing weeks of practice leading into the seasons delayed start. Murphy has some offensive talent, but he's not a great defender and is prone to foul trouble. Fiorillo while basically found money as a walk on, still has a ways to go defensively for a guy who is reportedly receiving a scholarship next year. Lefebvre's inability or at least the coaching staffs unwillingness to get him minutes was disappointing. Even more so given he didn't look out of place physically with the 4 minutes of game time he got as a freshman. I have to assume that the staff wasn't comfortable with his grasp of the system. Either way there was very little in consistent contribution offensively from the bench. Even Patella's contributions were streakier than last year.

TLDR.....the bench never developed last year, and needs to if UVM is going to stay a contender to make the tournament next year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the bench was underdeveloped because of the circumstances of this season. I don’t know what the redshirt situation is for players but I’d expect a couple of players to apply. It will be interesting to see this roster looks like next year. If Becker is back along with a “normal” off season I’d assume UVM is right there as a solid mid major and a top two team in the AE.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I think the bench was underdeveloped because of the circumstances of this season. I don’t know what the redshirt situation is for players but I’d expect a couple of players to apply. It will be interesting to see this roster looks like next year. If Becker is back along with a “normal” off season I’d assume UVM is right there as a solid mid major and a top two team in the AE.
Every player in essence got a redshirt this year. Free year of eligibility.

·
Premium Member
33,668 Posts
I think the bench was underdeveloped because of the circumstances of this season.
This.

We played what, 15 games total? The two teams playing for conference title each played 22 games. Now, I’m not saying that’s the reason both teams are in the championship game but I can say with absolute certainty having 7 extra D1 games will help to improve and strengthen a bench; it would UVM’s. Think about in a normal season when it’s 20 additional games, much less 7.

That’s why after”the pause” Becker knew the end of the season was near and we basically just played 8 kids. Patella didn’t play so much because he was playing super great, he was just someone Becker knew well and trusted relative to others.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every player in essence got a redshirt this year. Free year of eligibility.
I was going to post this. This is correct. I would say no UVM player actually qualifies for a traditional redshirt, but with everyone getting an extra season it's like anyone who wanted a redshirt got one this year.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2021-22 ROSTER (as of 3/11)

-12 scholarships used / 12 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Justin Mazzulla
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory

*OFFICIAL DECISIONS PENDING
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
2021-22 ROSTER (as of 3/22)

-14 scholarships used / 12 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Justin Mazzulla (possible Super Senior)
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure I expected quite that much retention, but I'm not complaining.
The wording from UVM's release to the media raises two things for me...

1) By specifying Murphy will have 2 years of eligibility (which was suspected), it implies that Mazzulla is only able to return because of his "bonus year"...something I had suspected when he transferred here, because I believe the NCAA treats mid-season transfers as having completed a full season, even though they (typically, although changing) have to sit the full 2 semesters, i.e. they get two partial years counted as full years. Anyway, glad he's back.

2) "We have a couple of scholarships remaining..." either means that there are expected or yet-to-be-public departures...or Becker was just winging it when he said that and wasn't entirely on top of his own math. Frankly, I think both are equally plausible, but I suppose we should keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2021-22 ROSTER (as of 3/22)

-14 scholarships used / 12 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*FIFTH-YEARS
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Justin Mazzulla
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory

I like this but we need a bunch of guys to step up as dependable scorers. We really don't have that with the exception of Ryan Davis. Worst case scenario? Teams double team/triple team Davis and look to the rest of the team to produce. Isaiah showed great promise this year, as did Benny, on both ends of the court. Promising but spotty moments this season for Nick Fiorillo, Tomas Murphy, and Bailey. I have considerable hope that Aaron will bring some of that swag. Robin...would love to see him develop some kind of outside shot and be more aggressive driving to the hoop. Duncan D?....no idea of what he brings to the table. I would love to see Fiorillo and Georges evolve into strong contributors with considerable size. Covid wreaked havoc on our gaining any real footing, so we will be much better served with a bunch of pre-conference games for the guys to settle in on dependable roles. The new guys coming in have showed promise as kids that can put the ball in the hole, but can they hold their own defensively?

Hartford will be very strong this next year and I expect NH, SB and UMBC to be right there as well.

And what a challenge UVM will have in filling its roster after next season, eh?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lately I've been pondering how long can our run of success last especially recently with Coach Tibbs departing and the yearly threat of Becker leaving which leads to speculation. While its certainly good news of the 4 players returning next season which should keep us in the upper half of the conference, what about the year after. Seems like it could be the start of a rebuild. Can anyone ever see this program reverting back to the old days of going 7-21 or 10-18 or even enduring a decade of hovering around 500 like UNH. Just curious if anyone else ever wonders the same thing.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
2) "We have a couple of scholarships remaining..." either means that there are expected or yet-to-be-public departures...or Becker was just winging it when he said that and wasn't entirely on top of his own math. Frankly, I think both are equally plausible, but I suppose we should keep an eye on that.
Does Fiorillo have a scholly? I thought he walked on.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does Fiorillo have a scholly? I thought he walked on.
It was reported by John Feinstein, of all people, during a UVM/UMBC broadcast that Becker had told him Fiorello was set to receive a scholarship next season. So, unless that was misinterpreted by Feinstein? Although, considering that he played as much or more as some of our scholarship guys I would say it's trending in that direction.

·
Registered
340 Posts
"We have a couple of scholarships remaining..." either means that there are expected or yet-to-be-public departures...or Becker was just winging it when he said that and wasn't entirely on top of his own math. Frankly, I think both are equally plausible, but I suppose we should keep an eye on that."

Good pick up there. I wonder in particular about Deloney and Beckett, who having just finished their sophomore seasons would be looking forward to expanded roles next year. Now they're looking at a logjam of backcourt returners, though in a sense they could consider next year to be their sophomore seasons since this season was an eligibility freebie.

·
Registered
108 Posts
"We have a couple of scholarships remaining..." either means that there are expected or yet-to-be-public departures...or Becker was just winging it when he said that and wasn't entirely on top of his own math. Frankly, I think both are equally plausible, but I suppose we should keep an eye on that."

Good pick up there. I wonder in particular about Deloney and Beckett, who having just finished their sophomore seasons would be looking forward to expanded roles next year. Now they're looking at a logjam of backcourt returners, though in a sense they could consider next year to be their sophomore seasons since this season was an eligibility freebie.
I believe one of the schloroships that might be available is Skyler Nash. He I believe is a senior and I believe Becker honored his sclorship for each year.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe one of the schloroships that might be available is Skyler Nash. He I believe is a senior and I believe Becker honored his sclorship for each year.
Nash's scholarship was honored, but did not count against UVM's 13 limit. When he medically "retired" from basketball before last season that was the rationale: it allowed UVM to continue to grant him an athletic scholarship without being penalized by losing a roster spot (there are more rules than that, but that's the short version).

1 - 20 of 370 Posts