Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
261 - 280 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
None of these positions are technically allowed to coach the players/team. However, that does not mean that they aren't near the court during drills, workouts, practices, etc. They may not say anything to the players directly but they can certainly address the coaching staff with things they see. There are always ways around the rules.

However, your last statement about being able to do those things if the staff is gone is very incorrect. You are allowed 4 total coaches (the head and 3 assts) to do the recruiting and coaching. If a coach is on the road recruiting, that means you have 3 coaches running practice. All the coaches have to pass NCAA rule certification tests. None of the other staff with the fancy titles take it thus they aren't certified to do anything of the like.
How is it that UVM, with Kyle, a fixture at Patrick Gym since he was about 5, as a ball boy and as a Cieplicki (THE Vermont basketball family) has not made this change public! I know some will assert it has ALL to do with the KE allegations, but please offer something to us fans!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
"There will be no decisions or involvement by this position related to basketball during on-court practice or competition. "

Does that sound like a step up, even at Pitt? Wasn't he next in line to replace Becker if/when that day came?
In terms of responsibility, he's taking a demotion. The pay grade chart GoCatsGo posted might indicate he may not take a substantial pay cut from the $93k he makes at UVM.

It was pretty likely that he would have been the successor had Becker left. I'd go as far as to say prior to the last year or so, that was at least an 80-90% probability, especially with Schulman in charge. But, in my opinion, what's transpired in the last year off the court (and honestly, on-court signs too) things have changed pretty dramatically. Now it's like I said, is it for the career, or seeing the writing on the wall, or escaping a guilty conscience? All three?

He's young enough (he's only like 36?) that this won't be some monumental setback, and could maybe springboard him into something else in a year or twos time, but I think it says a lot that the hometown guy who has strong roots in the area and by all accounts was completely content all of a sudden in late August is up and leaving for an admin job, even if at a higher level.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
How is it that UVM, with Kyle, a fixture at Patrick Gym since he was about 5, as a ball boy and as a Cieplicki (THE Vermont basketball family) has not made this change public! I know some will assert it has ALL to do with the KE allegations, but please offer something to us fans!
They'll offer something up when he gets announced at Pitt. What planet do you live on?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I also just want to add that Tibbs, Markwood, O'Brien, all the full-time assistants who left for other jobs under Becker's tenure did not get an announcement. Cieplicki might be different because of who he is...but you're likely going to have to settle for a Pittsburgh press release only.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
They'll offer something up when he gets announced at Pitt. What planet do you live on?
And no clue why you quoted me? I was responding to the comment about him being able to asst coach things even though not an asst coach. I have no clue about his position at Vermont or at Pitt or anything. But, I do have active knowledge of how NCAA rules work in regards to that stuff.

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
None of these positions are technically allowed to coach the players/team. However, that does not mean that they aren't near the court during drills, workouts, practices, etc. They may not say anything to the players directly but they can certainly address the coaching staff with things they see. There are always ways around the rules.

However, your last statement about being able to do those things if the staff is gone is very incorrect. You are allowed 4 total coaches (the head and 3 assts) to do the recruiting and coaching. If a coach is on the road recruiting, that means you have 3 coaches running practice. All the coaches have to pass NCAA rule certification tests. None of the other staff with the fancy titles take it thus they aren't certified to do anything of the like.
As always, thank you for the clarification!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
As always, thank you for the clarification!
Happy to help. And just because the rules are like that, it certainly doesn't mean that it always gets followed.

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
187 Posts
You guys are reaching. Maybe it’s clear to him that Becker plans to stay in Burlington for a while. Getting experience with multiple programs is the path to a better job, not festering in the same position for 10 years. If he stays at UVM forever than his only career option is likely UVM. He would most certainly still be a candidate for the UVM position if it opens up in the future, regardless of what school he is coaching with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Make yourself an instagram account and read through the last post UVM allowed comments on here:

http://instagr.am/p/COvU9ImpCnO/
Does this sound like an institution that is on the up and up?
Historic enrollment., I think UVM will be ok, but keep reaching.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Historic enrollment., I think UVM will be ok, but keep reaching.

What's your point? Are you proud that the university you cheer for is the only one in this conference who had to block comments on their instagram page for the last 3 months?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You guys are reaching. Maybe it’s clear to him that Becker plans to stay in Burlington for a while. Getting experience with multiple programs is the path to a better job, not festering in the same position for 10 years. If he stays at UVM forever than his only career option is likely UVM. He would most certainly still be a candidate for the UVM position if it opens up in the future, regardless of what school he is coaching with.

You’re reaching to think going from a coaching to a non-coaching position for a bit less pay on a staff that most people think won’t make it two years before getting let go is a step up.

He’s been the associate AD at a program that has won pretty steadily year in and year out, been a good recruiter. In previous years had he wanted to leave he could have gotten a solid assistant coaching position at a step or two up school. But this smacks of desperation to get out, as well as a reputation tarnished enough (or at least enough stink on it to give other programs pause) that he can’t find any full coaching position out.

If he’d taken an assistant coaching position at a higher level school, or a lateral position at a lateral school, then, yep, you’re making a valid point. But he is taking a position so far down the totem pole on what appears to be a lame duck staff that - that isn’t moving up in the hoops world.

Look at the trajectory of his former coaching mate Chris Markwood: went from a lower peer school at Maine, to Vermont, he landed some good recruits and won at UVM. Moves on to a similar school in Northeastern albeit one in more of a major marker at a bit of a step up conference wise, but also a program that hadnt been a consistent winner in some time. Then moves up to a lower tier ACC school but high up on the coaching rung at said ACC school - a definite step up…

No one in the hoops world think this is a move up for Cieplicki, many think it’s a sign of really turbulent waters in Burlington…

You’re right about one thing: Becker doesn’t seem to have a next move out of Burlington at this point which is blocking Cieplicki, but that in it of itself is not a good sign for Becker or UVM’s stock, as he’s been wanting out to a higher level for some time, but this year couldn’t even get interviews as schools below UVM…

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Daniel Giddings. He was one of the biggest most athletic guys our league has seen in some time. He was a solid defender, but I would say that he didn't come close to the level of hype we heard during pre-season. I"m sure that there are plenty more examples if we look back in the threads, the hype train is aways on time in catamount land.
Mazzulla was another...no one knew how the league would match up with him....lol.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Mazzulla was another...no one knew how the league would match up with him....lol.
In July when there's nothing on TV I don't mind "hot takes" or starting lineups no matter what team or how far fetched the claim.

In fact, I'm still waiting for Vermont forward Ryan Shields to have his breakout freshman season.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I still don’t get the views that Giddens was hugely athletic. A physical specimen? Yes. Able jump out of the gym, yah. But hands of stone. He had repeated big problems corralling feeds into the paint and had very little touch around the rim, excepting those big dunks we all liked.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I still don’t get the views that Giddens was hugely athletic. A physical specimen? Yes. Able jump out of the gym, yah. But hands of stone. He had repeated big problems corralling feeds into the paint and had very little touch around the rim, excepting those big dunks we all liked.
What does "athletic" mean to you? I've never ever heard anyone with only great hands being athletic. Lots of crazy athletic guys in the NFL with stone hands...they play defense.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Breaking news!

Looks like he has Canadian roots, as well. Fingers crossed that he fits well with the staff and players.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Also, it looks like UVM has finally updated the staff directory on its website and it appears The DOG, Derryk O'Grady, has been promoted to Director of Basketball Ops. Good for him, straight outta Milton.
Weird- I'm still seeing Derryk as Asst to the Head Coach and Snyder as DBO.

261 - 280 of 380 Posts