Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
361 - 380 of 411 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,674 Posts
Jumbo Shrimp, Big Baby, Original Copy, Vermont Sports Talk Radio. What is a solid list of oxymorons.

To be fair, not sure VT Sports talk radio stands much of a chance when there’s never any reason to turn off 104.7 The Point.

Reactions: Saul.T.Lode

·
Registered
636 Posts
Arnie and Rich did too little sports, too much buffoonery

The station declined a lot when they left ESPN

At least Clay Travis is gone...thanks goodness

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speaking of local talk radio, the 101.3 station pulled the plug on its local talk show, and fired one guy (Arnie), reduced the hours of the other (Rich): Radio station cancels Arnie Spanier and Rich Haskell's 'The Huddle' sports show on 101.3

As I understand it, their ratings absolutely tanked. Their Nielsen ratings dropped to like 0.5, which means out of their entire media market (Burlington-Plattsburgh) only 0.5% of people were listening to them. Previously they were doing like a 3.0-4.0. The market has around 325k people. So the way a rating work, at least my understanding, is it takes the media market and with the data Nielsen gets, it says theoretically if everyone in that market were listening to the radio at the time their show was on, only 0.5% listened to them. It's not exact obviously, but the story is these guys just absolutely tanked the show, and that isn't a surprise, because Arnie has to be one of the most shockingly bad local sports media to be in Vermont, ever. I am going to guess the programming switch to Fox Sports, plus what appeared to be a more MAGASport shift in tone from the two of them locally (as I understand from a friend who listens on a commute, Rich was saying some extremely borderline things that would have gotten any other host with an audience in trouble)

RIP takes of UVM going to the Big East and Middlebury going D1.
Guess we’ll just have to go to Brady Farkas’ Twitter likes thread for that social/political slant then…

·
Registered
5 Posts
10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/13 @ Maryland
11/19 vs. Yale
11/22 vs. Oakland (Gulf Coast Showcase)
11/23 vs. Evansville/Rice (Gulf Coast Showcase)
11/22 vs. TBD (Gulf Coast Showcase)
12/1 vs. Dartmouth
12/7 @ Providence
12/10 @ Brown
12/19 @ Northeastern
12/22 vs. Colgate

So, if they're waiting on a home date, there's really only a couple of windows they can play at home that don't interfere with the women's home schedule:

• Nov 15-17
  • Dec 14-16*
  • Dec 29

*This period is probably unlikely. It is during UVM's fall semester final exam period, and traditionally no athletic contests are scheduled in this time.

Just my guess based on this information, you're looking at the November window, and probably a non-D1, since I believe they're allowed to schedule a "home game" as part of the Gulf Coast Showcase?
It looks like UVM will play at UNC Greensboro on 11/27.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So the schedule looks to be done, here's a complete look at the non-conference opponents for this season:

10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/9 vs. Oswego St.
11/13 @ Maryland
11/19 vs. Yale
11/24 vs. TBD (Gulf Coast Showcase)
11/27 @ UNC Greensboro
12/1 vs. Dartmouth
12/7 @ Providence
12/10 @ Brown
12/19 @ Northeastern
12/22 vs. Colgate

What are your predictions for our non-conference record?

·
Registered
720 Posts
So the schedule looks to be done, here's a complete look at the non-conference opponents for this season:

10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/9 vs. Oswego St.
11/13 @ Maryland
11/19 vs. Yale
11/27 @ UNC Greensboro
12/1 vs. Dartmouth
12/7 @ Providence
12/10 @ Brown
12/19 @ Northeastern
12/22 vs. Colgate

I'm very happy UVM was able to sneak the UNCG game in. The Gulf Coast Showcase, so far, looks like better competition than it's been in the past, I'm excited for that too.

Overall, perhaps a little "underwhelming" as others have noted with no true blue-blood program, only one P5 school and no A10 schools on the schedule for the first time in a while which IMO is the biggest bummer (excl last year obviously). But overall I really don't have many complaints. I'm soooo thankful they were able to grab that home fixture with Colgate. Good quality regional midmajor that UVM doesn't often play in basketball for whatever reason despite long history in hockey dating back to the ECAC days.

I have struggled to get excited for this season but with more news the stoke level is rising. Of the D1 schools I'd be very happy with 5-5, but if I were a betting man I'd say 4-6 is more realistic. With Yale being a tossup and 1-2 likely at the Showcase mini-tourney.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll miss Arnie and Rich and think it was better when Brady was there. There was too much non-sports nonsense recently. They needed Brady to keep on track. Anyway, I enjoyed them.

·
Registered
223 Posts

10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/9 vs. Oswego St.
11/13 @ Maryland
11/19 vs. Yale
11/27 @ UNC Greensboro
12/1 vs. Dartmouth
12/7 @ Providence
12/10 @ Brown
12/19 @ Northeastern
12/22 vs. Colgate

7-5 could be a stretch, but we do have some experience. 6-6 or 5-7 woulkd be acceptable.
In the Maryland game - play hard, but avoid any serious injuries.
Be good to see team start season healthy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have never gone into a new season feeling so clueless about the team's prospects.
Agreed. That, for some reason, makes this more interesting compelling for me than in the past. We do have, I think, the possibility of many productive players. Keeping the massive numbers of players engaged will be one really challenging dimension to it all.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Agreed. That, for some reason, makes this more interesting compelling for me than in the past. We do have, I think, the possibility of many productive players. Keeping the massive numbers of players engaged will be one really challenging dimension to it all.
I don't think that we can underestimate the loss of KC from the coaching staff. He did A LOT of the actual coaching. He was always responsible for the scouting report and game plan for the biggest games. Becker has had the luxury, up until this year, of not having to hire and train coaches. This year, a majority of his staff is brand new. I do not expect the relative consistency that we have seen from the team over the last decade.

I think this season will be pretty interesting from the standpoint of, how does Becker essentially re-tool his whole staff, handle off the court pressures and manage the biggest roster he's ever had?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Totally agreed as well, with one refinement: Keeping the massive numbers of backcourt players engaged will be one really challenging dimension to it all.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Without doing a real deep dive into the rest of the league, I think the question that is central to UVM's success is:

How much, if at all, did our players improve in the offseason?

Because the personnel from '21 to '22 is basically the same: we lost Stef Smith, and added 4 guards...no single one of them are likely to be as good next year as Stef was last year, but will likely improve our down-bench depth in the backcourt by a small margin.

And we know that, with that personnel, last year we were...fine. We were good, but nowhere near great, masked somewhat by being in a league where none of the teams were great last year.

Knowing all this, where else can improvement come from? It has to come from the existing players. Because the coaching is going to be about the same, and I don't think any of the new players dramatically change the calculus of this team.

If we finally see some development from guys we've been waiting to turn a corner for 1, 2, even 3 years now, we can be fine again. We might even be able to be better than fine.

If that group has plateaued, or worse they regressed, we're going to be a lot less than fine.

That's it. It's all on those guys.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

In case anyone was wondering about the attendance policy. Masks on, regardless of your vaccination status. No in-game concessions.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

In case anyone was wondering about the attendance policy. Masks on, regardless of your vaccination status. No in-game concessions.
And this, too.

"In order to ensure the safety of students, staff and the community, UVM is now also expecting that all vaccine eligible visitors to campus, including fans attending athletic events, will be fully vaccinated."

361 - 380 of 411 Posts