Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Right now, UVM has 11 "counted" scholarships, if we're assuming there are no departures from non-seniors (still could happen), Fiorillo was given a scholarship (yet to truly be confirmed), and the 2 committed newcomers arrive. Mazzulla, Patella and Shungu will be considered in the "bonus" with the NCAA ruling. So, that would mean UVM has 2 spots it can add to its official scholarship "count."

I'm surprised but not, considering everything I'd been told and is plainly evidenced by the hockey teams that seniors on other teams gotta go and other teams can't go over their allotment. But, men's basketball operates on a different set of standards for better and worse.

With those two spots, it should be simple that there's at least a need for a servicable defensive-oriented big man, and probably another multiposition wing who has at least some level of offensive arsenal. But...bringing everyone back, bringing in possibly up to 4 new faces, that's a lot of people you're going to have to keep happy.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Right now, UVM has 11 "counted" scholarships, if we're assuming there are no departures from non-seniors (still could happen), Fiorillo was given a scholarship (yet to truly be confirmed), and the 2 committed newcomers arrive. Mazzulla, Patella and Shungu will be considered in the "bonus" with the NCAA ruling. So, that would mean UVM has 2 spots it can add to its official scholarship "count."
This is correct. I was only doing half the math, addressing Mazzulla's likely "Super Senior" status but not applying that fact to our scholarship count.

2021-22 ROSTER (as of 3/22)

-14 scholarships used / 11 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Justin Mazzulla
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory

*COACH: John Becker

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm surprised but not, considering everything I'd been told and is plainly evidenced by the hockey teams that seniors on other teams gotta go and other teams can't go over their allotment. But, men's basketball operates on a different set of standards for better and worse.
You have to go back to Josie Larkins. UVM/Schulman/whoever clearly OK'd the women's basketball team going over the "limit" to provide a fifth-year for Larkins. It would be an equity issue if UVM didn't provide that same opportunity to the athletes in that situation on the men's side.

If hockey wants to be treated like basketball they need to start winning. Yes, it's a chicken-and-the-egg situation. And I tried getting on board this year but sorry, you need to win some games to keep my attention (I was definitely on board with UVM hockey in the 2000's; Graham Mink/hazing scandal aside).

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
You have to go back to Josie Larkins. UVM/Schulman/whoever clearly OK'd the women's basketball team going over the "limit" to provide a fifth-year for Larkins. It would be an equity issue if UVM didn't provide that same opportunity to the athletes in that situation on the men's side.
Do we know that, though? What I mean is: what do the women have coming in next year in terms of freshmen/newcomers? Were they under their scholarship limit to begin with (I could go try and count, I just haven't done so)? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wasn't sure if the Kresge made accommodations (i.e. not filling up her roster with new players) that allowed Larkins to come back.

EDIT: Looks like the women carried 13 players last year, including Larkins. Making the assumption that they were all on scholarship (which I believe is true), they would still have room to bring Larkins back while adding another 2 players without going over for Larkins (though the question I don't have the answer to is: when's the last time the UVM women actually carried 15 scholarship women's players...that would speak a bit to their normal funding situation).

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

If hockey wants to be treated like basketball they need to start winning. Yes, it's a chicken-and-the-egg situation. And I tried getting on board this year but sorry, you need to win some games to keep my attention (I was definitely on board with UVM hockey in the 2000's; Graham Mink/hazing scandal aside).
Wrong. The women's basketball team has had multiple open scholarships the last few seasons. Settlemeyer is a walk-on. There were 12 scholarships this season. Its maximum allotment is 15. Next year they are bringing on 2 or 3 scholarship players, plus I believe Gilwee from CVU is a walk-on. I laid this out to you multiple times in other threads regarding scholarship counts by sport. Pay attention.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A rim protecting big man is the biggest hole if there is a way to add a transfer (unless Georges can develop quickly)
Yes, an adept big man would be nice. As far as Georges, he essentially didn't play at all this past season. Seems like a stretch for him to fill the pivotal role that's needed. Perhaps Toro will rethink his previous decision and step right in.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Michel Ndayishimiye from Rice just committed to UVM on Channel 5. I didn't see it personally, but it's on twitter. No idea if it's scholarship or recruited walk on. Details probably coming later.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts

And like Shungu, who redshirted his freshman year at UVM before earning a scholarship, Ndayishimiye is likely to follow the same path, according to Jackson.

"It’s structured very similar (to Shungu's). He has to work to get it," Jackson said.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Updated quote from the Alex Abrami story on BFP:

And like Shungu, who redshirted his freshman year at UVM before earning a scholarship, Ndayishimiye is likely to follow the same path, according to Jackson.

"It’s structured very similar (to Shungu's). He has to work to get it," Jackson said.

That's from his AAU coach Sam Jackson.

So yes, it appears this is a potential walk-on-to-scholly arrangement, aka The Shungu Deal (TM).

·
Realist/A-hole
6,104 Posts
I bet the Maine coaching staff is jealous of this signing.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
When I saw Rice, I thought "Rice U. in TX" is horrible in MBB. Why are we recruiting there?

I'm happy to have a local guy playing and if he turns out to be a baller like Shungu I'll be even happier. A lot happier, actually.

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
When I saw Rice, I thought "Rice U. in TX" is horrible in MBB. Why are we recruiting there?

I'm happy to have a local guy playing and if he turns out to be a baller like Shungu I'll be even happier. A lot happier, actually.
I know this is TIC but I’d take BC High alum PG Travis Evee in a second on UVM. Averaged 14ppg for Rice last year.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
2021-22 ROSTER (as of 4/13)

-14 scholarships used / 11 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Justin Mazzulla
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory
-Michel Ndayishimiye (walk-on)

*COACH: John Becker

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
Wait- did Lefebvre redshirt last year?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wait- did Lefebvre redshirt last year?
In the traditional sense, no. While he only played in 5 games, he was not injured in any substantial way (at least not in any way that prevented him from dressing). Even if they did try to claim some kind of injury, his 5 appearances were enough to play in more than 30% of UVM's games (5/15 = 33%), which would also make him ineligible.

However, technically everyone redshirted last year, so he does have 4 years of eligibility remaining.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am curious as to whether either/both of our current walk-ons will be back this season. As of this moment, our roster is up to 17 players. That's a lot of guys. It's good to have depth for practice purposes, etc. But there are only so many seats on the bench (figuratively, and literally...there is a finite number of seats on the bench).

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I am curious as to whether either/both of our current walk-ons will be back this season. As of this moment, our roster is up to 17 players. That's a lot of guys. It's good to have depth for practice purposes, etc. But there are only so many seats on the bench (figuratively, and literally...there is a finite number of seats on the bench).
I don't see why they wouldn't. Garrison is a senior he might as well stick around. Adiang is local, and there's another reason to keeping him around too (his brother even if he probably goes to a Power 5 at first, you want to ensure that relationship doesn't sour in any way, because well, guys transfer). Maybe someone has to sit out on travel or there's a healthy scratch situation, but it's just for a year. I don't anticipate the entire rising true senior class to stay and use these blanket extra years for various reasons highlighted before for both reasons financial and personal. So they could potentially have 19 guys this season if they're using their full true scholarship allotment, and as low as 8 guys total next season. As logistically cramped as the benches are at Patrick, they'll figure something out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts