Registered
5,754 Posts
Bye Oswego, hello Northern Iowa?

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Looks like it. Must have made a (way, way better) last-second arrangement and kicked Oswego to the curb. They're still in the reservations for Patrick Gym's facilities...so the game was definitely on at some point.

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
But actually, Hello Worcester Polytechnic! 11/16!!! Unless the whole Oswego thing was a false flag, and the WPI game came together really quickly in its stead, they might have been set to play two non-D1s. I imagine we'll never get an actual answer to that.

·
Premium Member
33,674 Posts
Link to schedule on website has Providence & Brown on same date. Will be a tall task, but could become the first AE team to ever beat a Big East & Ivy League opponent simultaneously.

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Registered
720 Posts
Think that UNI game is a new add, right?
Well all I can say is this schedule was certainly worth the wait. Just a couple weeks ago we were looking at a pretty slim non conference slate before we heard about the Northern Iowa and Colgate adds and confirmation Becker was able to salvage the contract with UNCG. However, between the "dark cloud" over the program, lack of any proven, consistent bigs aside from injury-prone Ryan Davis and coming off a more or less worthless season in terms of athlete development I'm not terribly excited for it because I don't have the expectations for this team I have had in the past.

When looking at D1 schools only I see 5-7 non-conference record being realistic and 6-6 being possible if we can a little bit of luck in terms of favorable basket roles in clutch moments and a break from injuries, especially concerning Ryan Davis and to a lesser extent Powell.

How will conference play go, is it expected AE teams will play 18-game seasons, or are they going to do something tricky/messy?

So much chatter about the transfers. But for me I'd really like to see Thomas Murphy find his groove this year. I think he will be the keystone rotation player who will in some ways decide this season's fate. We've seen his soft hands and he has length, he just needs to be more physical on defense but also more careful setting screens, etc to avoid fouls.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well all I can say is this schedule was certainly worth the wait. At least we were just a couple weeks ago before we heard about the Northern Iowa and Colgate adds and confirmation Becker was able to salvage the contract with UNCG. However, between the "dark cloud" over the program, lack of any proven, consistent bigs aside from injury-prone Ryan Davis and coming off a more or less worthless season in terms of athlete development I'm not terribly excited for it because I don't have the expectations for this team I have had in the past.

When looking D1 schools only I see 5-7 non-conference record being realistic and 6-6 being possible if we can a little bit of luck in terms of favorable basket roles in clutch moments and a break from injuries, especially concerning Ryan Davis and to a lesser extent Powell.

How will conference play go, is it expected AE teams will play 18-game seasons, or are they going to do something tricky/messy?

So much chatter about the transfers. But for me I'd really like to see Thomas Murphy find his groove this year. I think he will be the keystone rotation player who will in some ways decide this season's fate. We've seen his soft hands and he has length, he just needs to be more physical on defense but also more careful setting screens, etc to avoid fouls.
Right. It's strange how concerned UVM Athletics is about vaccination status and wearing masks given their wanton disregard of sexual assault and violent rape by members of their own basketball program.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Conference schedule is out, and it's a full 18-game slate for everyone. So those are the expectations. How that compares with what we end up with is anyone's guess, but I think we'll know by the start of conference play what a reasonable expectation is for the number of games completed.

UNI game is certainly interesting. Would like to know more about how that came about, and whether there's anything to it beyond this season (I'd take a 2-for-1).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conference schedule is out, and it's a full 18-game slate for everyone. So those are the expectations. How that compares with what we end up with is anyone's guess, but I think we'll know by the start of conference play what a reasonable expectation is for the number of games completed.

UNI game is certainly interesting. Would like to know more about how that came about, and whether there's anything to it beyond this season (I'd take a 2-for-1).
Perhaps UNI is "home town" game for Ryan Davis who's from not too far away, in the adjacent state.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Perhaps UNI is "home town" game for Ryan Davis who's from not too far away, in the adjacent state.
What's 4+ hours and 250 miles between friends?

I mean, it's possible they were looking for something in the general Chicagoland vicinity and struck out repeatedly (because it'd have to be repeatedly, considering the number of schools that are within 250 miles of Chicago). Maybe they couldn't line up dates or numbers on a guarantee game, or maybe they couldn't get the terms they wanted with another mid (i.e. a return game at some point). Or maybe the Davis clan came from hearty Iowan stock before heading east to the big city, and he has connections elsewhere.

Or, which is often the case, none of the above.

The "travel out to Northern Iowa, then 2 days later play at Maryland" travel itinerary is...something. Glad they have six days between UMD and Yale, with just the WPI game in between.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The "travel out to Northern Iowa, then 2 days later play at Maryland" travel itinerary is...something. Glad they have six days between UMD and Yale, with just the WPI game in between.
The team charters at that distance anyway. They charter to UMBC now...so, they'll go to UNI then to Maryland. Northern Iowa could have given UVM some guarantee as well. MVC schools do have that capability, and if UNI was in a lurch too, it's possible UVM was able to work out a deal. I don't know that for sure, but again, this looks like it came together very quickly. I don't think the school would mark the gym reserved on the 9th like it did for Oswego if an away game was planned 2 days later.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yale game at 4:00PM and Colgate at 2:00PM, both on weekdays…ugh. I don’t think they are expecting big crowds this year - lingering COVID concerns, mask requirement and no concessions are going to curb attendance.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Yale game at 4:00PM and Colgate at 2:00PM, both on weekdays…ugh.
The Colgate start feels like that classic GTFO before Christmas break start time we've seen at times in the past. Not usually a huge turnout game, but kids might be out of school that day, some people start taking Christmas vacation around then, our old retirees in the crowd don't worry about any of those commitments, etc. Gets our guys done early, and Colgate back on the road.

The Yale start is a little interesting. It's the last day of class before Thanksgiving break...maybe they're hoping to snag some students before they hit the road that night (whereas they wouldn't stick around for a 7PM game)? Both teams are heading to Florida early the following week, so I suppose if it helps get them done a few hours early, get a little extra rest, it makes some sense. But it is a little unusual.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Yale game at 4:00PM and Colgate at 2:00PM, both on weekdays…ugh. I don’t think they are expecting big crowds this year - lingering COVID concerns, mask requirement and no concessions are going to curb attendance.
Yeah, Wednesday, December 22nd at 2:00 pm doesn't really seem to be great. I assume UVM students are gone for break. However, maybe they can do a push with local grade schools as they should also be out for Christmas break at that time as well. Kinda sucks to "waste" a home game with Colgate like that. May as well throw Oswego in there in that time slot.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
The team charters at that distance anyway. They charter to UMBC now...so, they'll go to UNI then to Maryland. Northern Iowa could have given UVM some guarantee as well. MVC schools do have that capability, and if UNI was in a lurch too, it's possible UVM was able to work out a deal. I don't know that for sure, but again, this looks like it came together very quickly. I don't think the school would mark the gym reserved on the 9th like it did for Oswego if an away game was planned 2 days later.
I figured they'd be flying, but wasn't sure if they'd have a charter flight or being flying commercial. Certainly a charter allows them more flexibility in terms of where and how often you land (looks like there's an airport about 5-10 minutes away that I'm guessing UNI uses). So I'm guessing fly Wednesday day, play Thursday night, fly Friday day, play Saturday...at some point, hopefully evening.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Balanced OOC schedule. I don't pretend to be an expert on a lot of these teams.
St Mike's & St A's are exhibitions. Fine.
Brown & Dartmouth & Colgate are traditionally weak.
Yale & Northeastern are usually stronger.
Providence & Maryland will be .. challenging.
Northern Iowa & Oakland & UNCG are interesting games.
WPI is a waste of time, won't benefit anyone.
Too bad they stopped playing A-10 teams. Those were challenging games they had a chance at winning. The St Bona series was especially good. They're loaded this year too.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Update: Colgate is good now. Played in the tourney in 2019 and 2021. Return 7 out of their top 8 guys from last year, I believe. That'll be a contest.

·
Registered
720 Posts
St Mike's & St A's are exhibitions. Fine.
Yale & Northeastern are usually stronger.
Providence & Maryland will be .. challenging.
Northern Iowa & Oakland & UNCG are interesting games.
WPI is a waste of time, won't benefit anyone.
Too bad they stopped playing A-10 teams. Those were challenging games they had a chance at winning. The St Bona series was especially good. They're loaded this year too.
I wouldn't say Colgate is "traditionally weak." They give Bucknell a run for their money in the PL.

While I agree with the disappointment of the lack of any A10 teams on the schedule this year it shouldn't come as a surprise. The string of A10 teams was a real treat and was a testament to the respect and relevance UVM had garnered nationally (and of course the Lonergan/MoJo connection). Those A10 teams would actually play us, sometimes coming up to Burlington. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that on the national landscape UVM basketball is lost the small bit of relevance we had in recent years. So even buy/guarantee games are challenging. Upper tier A10 clubs are who EVERYONE wants in their "feast fest" November tournaments so they really don't have any games to hand out after than and playing a slew of their buy games at high-majors. I'm still dreaming of a match with URI but not expecting to see that this decade unless we meet in the second round of March Madness.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Colgate start feels like that classic GTFO before Christmas break start time we've seen at times in the past. Not usually a huge turnout game, but kids might be out of school that day, some people start taking Christmas vacation around then, our old retirees in the crowd don't worry about any of those commitments, etc. Gets our guys done early, and Colgate back on the road.

The Yale start is a little interesting. It's the last day of class before Thanksgiving break...maybe they're hoping to snag some students before they hit the road that night (whereas they wouldn't stick around for a 7PM game)? Both teams are heading to Florida early the following week, so I suppose if it helps get them done a few hours early, get a little extra rest, it makes some sense. But it is a little unusual.
Yale has a whacky student schedule where they get 9 days for Thanksgiving. Easy for them to come up
I wouldn't say Colgate is "traditionally weak." They give Bucknell a run for their money in the PL.

While I agree with the disappointment of the lack of any A10 teams on the schedule this year it shouldn't come as a surprise. The string of A10 teams was a real treat and was a testament to the respect and relevance UVM had garnered nationally (and of course the Lonergan/MoJo connection). Those A10 teams would actually play us, sometimes coming up to Burlington. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that on the national landscape UVM basketball is lost the small bit of relevance we had in recent years. So even buy/guarantee games are challenging. Upper tier A10 clubs are who EVERYONE wants in their "feast fest" November tournaments so they really don't have any games to hand out after than and playing a slew of their buy games at high-majors. I'm still dreaming of a match with URI but not expecting to see that this decade unless we meet in the second round of March Madness.
I agree re A-10. Like I said, not an expert on any of these teams. Looking into it, Colgate didn't win their league 1996-2019; were only over .500 once or twice in that stretch. Been good lately (2017-2020) which is more relevant.

381 - 400 of 411 Posts