Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
The Colgate start feels like that classic GTFO before Christmas break start time we've seen at times in the past. Not usually a huge turnout game, but kids might be out of school that day, some people start taking Christmas vacation around then, our old retirees in the crowd don't worry about any of those commitments, etc. Gets our guys done early, and Colgate back on the road.

The Yale start is a little interesting. It's the last day of class before Thanksgiving break...maybe they're hoping to snag some students before they hit the road that night (whereas they wouldn't stick around for a 7PM game)? Both teams are heading to Florida early the following week, so I suppose if it helps get them done a few hours early, get a little extra rest, it makes some sense. But it is a little unusual.
Maybe. My guess is Yale 4:00 game allows UVM to fly out Friday night vs Sat in prep for the Florida tourney on Mon. Most local school districts are starting their vacations on Dec. 23, the day after the Colgate game. Maybe some will get out early on Wed and UVM has already worked out a kid’s day. Either way, it’s an inconvenience for the majority of their loyal fans, who are not as likely to be loyal fans if you schedule games they can’t attend.

·
U of AZ 72
114 Posts
UVM lost Beagle to Albany.Thought they might have chance for him though Albany is close to his home, but UVM isn't far either. I continue to be surprised that being the cream of the crop in AE doesn't have more impact.
I'd be interested in how much of an impact people think losing some of our coaching staff is going to have on recruiting.

·
Premium Member
33,674 Posts
I'd be interested in how much of an impact people think losing some of our coaching staff is going to have on recruiting.
Meaningful impact. Both Tibbs & Cieplicki were important pieces to the puzzle on recruiting trail, but we’ve lost other talented recruiters before (Markwood to NU) and not skipped a beat.

That being said, have not lost two coaches of this caliber (Tibbs recruiting/relationship building & Cieplicki recruiting + Xs & O’s + roots in program) rather suddenly in same season- though reasonably expected/ both triggered/driven by the NCAA lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Meaningful impact. Both Tibbs & Cieplicki were important pieces to the puzzle on recruiting trail, but we’ve lost other talented recruiters before (Markwood to NU) and not skipped a beat.
Yeah, I think I come down with an answer of "Short Term: Significant, Long Term: We'll see." Any time you change out some coaches you run the risk of turning off some recruits, because you change relationships mid-stream. But as mentioned, we've done this before: we turned over Chris Markwood and Matt O'Brien in the same season, promoted Schneider, hired Tibbs, spent a lot of time wringing our hands, and then it was fine. The long term impact will be in what Bryson Johnson and Chris Santo can do for us. Losing Cieplicki/Tibbs will weaken some relationships, but Santo/Johnson may bring new ones to the table that we didn't have before. Only time will tell.

We've actually been super spoiled over the years with how little staff turnover we've had, especially at this level. But sooner or later it happens.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Maybe. My guess is Yale 4:00 game allows UVM to fly out Friday night vs Sat in prep for the Florida tourney on Mon. Most local school districts are starting their vacations on Dec. 23, the day after the Colgate game. Maybe some will get out early on Wed and UVM has already worked out a kid’s day. Either way, it’s an inconvenience for the majority of their loyal fans, who are not as likely to be loyal fans if you schedule games they can’t attend.
Just to follow up on this: we didn't do our homework. The reason the Yale game is starting at 4:00 is because there is a hockey game that night at 7:30, and the hockey schedule has always taken priority for primetime slots. Now, we can discuss why UVM scheduled a men's hoop game on a Friday night that also had hockey, but I'm sure at some point it came down to "it's gonna be this date or it's not gonna happen."

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just to follow up on this: we didn't do our homework. The reason the Yale game is starting at 4:00 is because there is a hockey game that night at 7:30, and the hockey schedule has always taken priority for primetime slots. Now, we can discuss why UVM scheduled a men's hoop game on a Friday night that also had hockey, but I'm sure at some point it came down to "it's gonna be this date or it's not gonna happen."
Thx, my ass is going to be grass after those two games…I really doubt the new arena and final makeover of the Gut is going to happen. Maybe they will upgrade the locker rooms and training rooms for the players, but the actual arenas,,,we’ll see.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Kind of a bizarre promo for Key Chevrolet on the program's official twitter page today where Becker talks about his new Chevy half-ton truck.

I remember Kevin Sneddon's face being plastered on Comcast marketing material when I was a kid but I can't recall such an endorsement campaign coming from official UVM social media? Given it's a small town car dealership I can't imagine UVM is getting much money for this either.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It's not his truck. He was just driving it for the day. But, he does say he bought a car from them in the last year. What does UVM get out of this? Well, all head coaches get a car allowance money. So, if this dealership is willing to cut UVM on some sort of rate or financing terms for leasing for their coaches, that helps. This is quite common at lots of athletic departments across the country where coaches basically get "sponsored" cars. I imagine Becker was compensated for his time to do this so that benefits him on an individual level.

Key Chevrolet sure seems like they're paying for some kind of privilege to get in with UVM athletics. I can tell you if it wasn't for reading UVM athletics press releases which they also sponsor I'd have not had any clue it is the former Shearer Chevrolet. It's also far from small-time. They've got 16+ dealerships in Maine, New Hampshire and now Vermont (they bought Shearer Honda in Rutland too), and probably want to increase their presence in Vermont. I got that from googling and seeing a snippet of this paywall article, plus actually going to their company website.

Sure it might be a weird way to promote your dealership, but cursory research shows this isn't as random as you might think on the surface.

Also, Comcast and the Sneddon ads ran because they used to show UVM hockey games on a "local" Comcast network a lot for anyone who had the service (which pre-streaming and outside of satellite dishes, was everyone in at least the most populated areas in the state).

401 - 411 of 411 Posts