Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I don't see why they wouldn't. Garrison is a senior he might as well stick around. Adiang is local, and there's another reason to keeping him around too (his brother even if he probably goes to a Power 5 at first, you want to ensure that relationship doesn't sour in any way, because well, guys transfer). Maybe someone has to sit out on travel or there's a healthy scratch situation, but it's just for a year. I don't anticipate the entire rising true senior class to stay and use these blanket extra years for various reasons highlighted before for both reasons financial and personal. So they could potentially have 19 guys this season if they're using their full true scholarship allotment, and as low as 8 guys total next season. As logistically cramped as the benches are at Patrick, they'll figure something out.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply anything nefarious like we were going to run them off or anything. More looking at it from the perspective that sometimes walk-ons decide to move on from basketball because it's a time commitment, need to focus on academic and post-graduate pursuits, etc. And we aren't usually privy to those kinds of decisions until well after they're made (Summer Roster Release Date!). Add in the fact that we're carrying a lot of guys (which is normal for some D-1 schools, but not typically for UVM), and I'm just curious if they'll be in the fold or not.

They're good guys, they work hard. I'm sure they're definitely welcome back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am curious as to whether either/both of our current walk-ons will be back this season. As of this moment, our roster is up to 17 players. That's a lot of guys. It's good to have depth for practice purposes, etc. But there are only so many seats on the bench (figuratively, and literally...there is a finite number of seats on the bench).
My Alma Mater, Wake Forest, had six players enter the transfer portal at the end of this season. Any of the UVM guys who are finding the Cats' bench crowded might find some minutes on the floor if they head to Winston-Salem! :)

·
Realist/A-hole
6,130 Posts
Any word on what is going on with the 3rd assistant spot on the staff?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Any word on what is going on with the 3rd assistant spot on the staff?
It hasn't even been posted on UVM's job site yet (unless I missed it). That could mean something and it could mean nothing. I can't recall if hockey had to post their open spot (guy was hired during a hiring freeze), but generally speaking, it has to get posted as a formality I think. It probably will once Becker chooses who he wants so they can formally apply and close the deal, while they get like 400 applicants who wasted their time because it was already chosen long before the posting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do UVM fans feel for Albany with Tibbs? Who did he recruit to Vermont while there ? I believe he is the top assistant now at Albany.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
How do UVM fans feel for Albany with Tibbs? Who did he recruit to Vermont while there ? I believe he is the top assistant now at Albany.
I am told he is not the top assistant at Albany, that it is the Jackson guy. He is the second assistant probably, In terms of his "gets" Lamb and Powell. That's really it. His assistant coaching career rides on one player. I think players liked him well enough, but I wouldn't consider him a massive loss to UVM. I'm sure they'd rather have him around because consistency at this level is a nice thing, but it's also rare and he's probably getting a pay bump in addition to moving closer to home. He'll benefit the new Albany staff by having familiarity with the league and its personnel, I'm sure, and maybe grow more into other parts of coaching like the X's and O's, which he really wasn't handling in timeouts like the other two UVM assistants would.

Speaking of the open assistant spot for UVM...sounds like there might be some administrative interference on getting that search going.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Speaking of the open assistant spot for UVM...sounds like there might be some administrative interference on getting that search going.
Considering how long it took for Woodcroft to be able to hire the one new paid assistant he was bringing onto his staff last year, and that things certainly aren't a whole lot better than they were last year, this is unsurprising.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Considering how long it took for Woodcroft to be able to hire the one new paid assistant he was bringing onto his staff last year, and that things certainly aren't a whole lot better than they were last year, this is unsurprising.
Correct. However, that was an official hiring freeze period. UVM is not in a hiring freeze right now. So, my assumption is there's interference on what the pay grade that's allowed. Tibbs made $70k last year. The athletic department and the school might be asking for the maximum pay band to be a lot less...or, they're holding out until June which I believe is when contracts are ended/renewed and athletic budgets can be put in place. That's just me guessing, but it's not been job posted at least not yet because of the administration.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,130 Posts
The university of Vermont needs a new optometrist. They have so may problems with optics it's a wonder that they can function.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Tibbs is from the area. Seems like it makes sense for him. I think that he was pretty low in the pecking order of assistant coaches at UVM.

He rarely presented the pregame scouting report for Victory Club members, so I kind of assumed that he wasn't a really highly trusted Xs and Os guy. That may or may not have been true...just my take. I had the opportunity to chat with him a few times. He seemed like a very genuine, thoughtful guy. I'm happy for him, if he's happy in his new gig.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Once a Catamount, ALWAYS a Catamount.

Was checking out his stats last night. His playing time and productivity declined a bit over the last couple years (missed the back half of his sophomore season with an injury of some kind). But good perimeter numbers. As true with any transfer: you always hope you're getting the best version of the guy. The best version of him looks pretty good.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
2021-22 ROSTER (as of 4/26)

-15 scholarships used / 12 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Justin Mazzulla
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kameron Gibson
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory
-Michel Ndayishimiye (walk-on)

*COACH: John Becker

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
Looks like we’re reaching Football/lacrosse sized-rosters. Not really of course, but that’s a huge basketball roster.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
A lot of the Ivy teams have big rosters also, and needed them because of injuries. A lack of playing time may cause some departures. UVM could still use a good big.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Looks like we’re reaching Football/lacrosse sized-rosters. Not really of course, but that’s a huge basketball roster.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. That means an increase in the overall budget is going to be necessary. In addition to the scholarships, equipment provided to team members (sneakers, uniforms, practice gear, socks, etc), more mouths to feed for team meals, increased travel party (more plane tickets, add'l hotel room(s)) among other things. I know many of those things aren't super expensive, but it all adds up in this covid budget time. Does Vermont provide stipends to their scholarship athletes?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing. That means an increase in the overall budget is going to be necessary. In addition to the scholarships, equipment provided to team members (sneakers, uniforms, practice gear, socks, etc), more mouths to feed for team meals, increased travel party (more plane tickets, add'l hotel room(s)) among other things. I know many of those things aren't super expensive, but it all adds up in this covid budget time. Does Vermont provide stipends to their scholarship athletes?
They don't give stipends. Pretty sure on that one. I've said it a lot, but UVM is allowing this extra space for this year for its men's players, so it's kind of like, well, you could have always said no to it (like many other schools in the league at this level are going to)...so, if they run at a loss on costs due to that - they knew what they were doing. Maybe they're securing private funding for the year or using that endowment money to mitigate added gear and travel costs since they're the only team on campus which is being allowed to do it. But...this is just for a year too possibly 8-9 players will be departing next season. That large true senior class isn't going to see too many guys enacting their extra year...and if they do, it has to fall within the 13 allotments after next year, so the coaches will want some turnover and those players to graduate and move on as well.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts