Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same thing. That means an increase in the overall budget is going to be necessary. In addition to the scholarships, equipment provided to team members (sneakers, uniforms, practice gear, socks, etc), more mouths to feed for team meals, increased travel party (more plane tickets, add'l hotel room(s)) among other things. I know many of those things aren't super expensive, but it all adds up in this covid budget time. Does Vermont provide stipends to their scholarship athletes?
It is a pretty small budget item, but I wouldn't expect the whole roster to travel with the team if travel involves a flight or hotel stay.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
They don't give stipends. Pretty sure on that one. I've said it a lot, but UVM is allowing this extra space for this year for its men's players, so it's kind of like, well, you could have always said no to it (like many other schools in the league at this level are going to)...so, if they run at a loss on costs due to that - they knew what they were doing. Maybe they're securing private funding for the year or using that endowment money to mitigate added gear and travel costs since they're the only team on campus which is being allowed to do it. But...this is just for a year too possibly 8-9 players will be departing next season. That large true senior class isn't going to see too many guys enacting their extra year...and if they do, it has to fall within the 13 allotments after next year, so the coaches will want some turnover and those players to graduate and move on as well.
So this is just for men's basketball only. Would that be a Title XI issue? I have no idea what the women's roster even looks like, but I know it is frowned upon to provide extra opportunities for men while not for women.

I mean, you would think this has already been thought out by the school so I'm guessing not an issue but...

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
It is a pretty small budget item, but I wouldn't expect the whole roster to travel with the team if travel involves a flight or hotel stay.
Kinda what I was thinking as well. Part of the appeal of being a walk-on is to travel but they probably won't have that luxury this season. With all those seniors and super seniors, I would think the staff would want about 50% of the total budget to go to recruiting lol. And once the dead period is lifted June 1st, schools will absolutely need to get out as much as possible while also getting as many kids as possible on campus. That isn't cheap.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,130 Posts
Vermont has Women's swimming and diving and Field Hockey who don't have male sports equivalents. The big scholarship users of Lacrosse, Hockey, Basketball, and soccer all have women's team equivalents, plus no football to balance out.

Reactions: umainealum

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
So this is just for men's basketball only. Would that be a Title XI issue? I have no idea what the women's roster even looks like, but I know it is frowned upon to provide extra opportunities for men while not for women.

I mean, you would think this has already been thought out by the school so I'm guessing not an issue but...
Yes, all the men's hockey seniors left except one who sat out the whole year with injury and would have gotten a medical redshirt anyway. The women's hockey team seniors I believe are all moving on too unless there is an opening for them in how they parcel out the 18 scholarships. For women's basketball, they can technically say that they're allowing a super senior back, because Larkins is returning...however, there's every indication that she'll be within the max scholarship limit of 15 for women's basketball when you count the incoming recruiting class, which even though historically the women's team has not had 15 scholarship players (usually it's around 12), the opportunity is there for them to use it, meaning there's some creative accounting going on with them in regards to roster construction next year that there technically isn't not an overage by NCAA standards, but how much the school decides in a given year it wants to use.

UVM has all sorts of Title IX issues unrelated to the counting of equal opportunity by roster count. They give absolutely no shits about any women's sports, as nearly all the staff and funding reductions in recent years have disproportionately impacted women's sports like field hockey, swimming, and track (co-ed, but the scholarships/funding are in one pool). The UVM fans on here don't give a shit either because UVM is a one-sport school to them but it's been a glaring black eye on the school especially in the last 5-6 years with how calculated the cuts have been directed toward women's sports. A few adult beverages from any women's sports team coach at the school and you'll hear some pretty damning stuff on how they're treated completely second class. And that's not even touching the surface of their bad Title IX office with regards to a certain incident, not even close.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Yes, all the men's hockey seniors left except one who sat out the whole year with injury and would have gotten a medical redshirt anyway. The women's hockey team seniors I believe are all moving on too unless there is an opening for them in how they parcel out the 18 scholarships. For women's basketball, they can technically say that they're allowing a super senior back, because Larkins is returning...however, there's every indication that she'll be within the max scholarship limit of 15 for women's basketball when you count the incoming recruiting class, which even though historically the women's team has not had 15 scholarship players (usually it's around 12), the opportunity is there for them to use it, meaning there's some creative accounting going on with them in regards to roster construction next year that there technically isn't not an overage by NCAA standards, but how much the school decides in a given year it wants to use.

UVM has all sorts of Title IX issues unrelated to the counting of equal opportunity by roster count. They give absolutely no shits about any women's sports, as nearly all the staff and funding reductions in recent years have disproportionately impacted women's sports like field hockey, swimming, and track (co-ed, but the scholarships/funding are in one pool). The UVM fans on here don't give a shit either because UVM is a one-sport school to them but it's been a glaring black eye on the school especially in the last 5-6 years with how calculated the cuts have been directed toward women's sports. A few adult beverages from any women's sports team coach at the school and you'll hear some pretty damning stuff on how they're treated completely second class. And that's not even touching the surface of their bad Title IX office with regards to a certain incident, not even close.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You asked, I answered no differently than I ever do. They're Title IX compliant by roster slots/sports opportunities, but they're not letting any other team use the one-time bonus, and it almost certainly was not even up for debate for any women's team at UVM. Fair within the rules, but never fair within the funding. Guess you don't have too many strong feelings about that, which is par for the course for most people here anyway.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
You asked, I answered no differently than I ever do. They're Title IX compliant by roster slots/sports opportunities, but they're not letting any other team use the one-time bonus, and it almost certainly was not even up for debate for any women's team at UVM. Fair within the rules, but never fair within the funding. Guess you don't have too many strong feelings about that, which is par for the course for most people here anyway.
Actually, that was a "yikes" meme. It's ridiculous that a department in today's environment would be that way. As a huge proponent of women's basketball, I do have issues but basketball is the one women's sport that usually seems to get treated the best of them all (maybe volleyball as well). UMaine actually does a pretty decent job with gender equity so I can't say much about them. They fund women's basketball and field hockey pretty well (of course it could be better).

But yeah, the handling of the case that shall remain nameless should have told me all I needed to know about Title IX.

Reactions: catpower

·
Registered
2,845 Posts

When did UVM become a basketball school???

I jest, of course, it is interesting that the transition has become complete...I guess it's just been too long since the hockey team was relevant.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hope this helps address 3 pt shooting but agreed we need another big pretty badly.
I keep hoping Nick Fiorillo and Georges Lefebrve step up next year. Both have very nice length. Who knows if Duncan Demuth will show up in any significant way and Tomas Murphy could be huge off the bench, considering he struggled with injuries this past season. AND since this past year was a ‘freebie’ because of covid, I believe technically Ryan Davis, Isaiah Powell could play two more years as they, are considered going into their junior years. Lots to speculate about. I think we may be pretty solid this year.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Actually, that was a "yikes" meme. It's ridiculous that a department in today's environment would be that way. As a huge proponent of women's basketball, I do have issues but basketball is the one women's sport that usually seems to get treated the best of them all (maybe volleyball as well). UMaine actually does a pretty decent job with gender equity so I can't say much about them. They fund women's basketball and field hockey pretty well (of course it could be better).

But yeah, the handling of the case that shall remain nameless should have told me all I needed to know about Title IX.
All good. Michael Scott never did it for me personally (ducks for cover), so I was coming from a place of confusion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The addition of Gibson should all but guarantee that one of, if not both Alamutu and Gulliory will redshirt the year. Deloney and Beckett are question marks. Maybe they both impress and work their way into the rotation, maybe they transfer, maybe it's more or less of what we saw last year. I know Deloney has spent a lot of time already in the gym, but considering that John Becker likes bigger inter-changeable guards (Gibson 6'3", Deloney 5'11"), along with the need for a reliable perimeter shooter (Gibson 39% career average, Deloney 23% career average) it's tough to envision him surpassing Gibson this year.

TBH I would've preferred another big. Lefebvre is a question mark, Fiorillo looked good offensively at times but still has a lot of work to do, anything from Demuth at this point is a bonus, Murphy looked good at times but is made of glass, Powell is solid and great glue guy, Davis is more than capable of retaining AE POY again. No real defensive presence in paint for the Cats much like Giddens or Dingba was. Outside of Lefebvre and Fiorillo, all of those guys have missed time with injuries and there's a strong likelihood all could deal with them again. Would love for the Cats to find a big whose primary objective would be to clog those lanes on defense.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The addition of Gibson should all but guarantee that one of, if not both Alamutu and Gulliory will redshirt the year. Deloney and Beckett are question marks. Maybe they both impress and work their way into the rotation, maybe they transfer, maybe it's more or less of what we saw last year. I know Deloney has spent a lot of time already in the gym, but considering that John Becker likes bigger inter-changeable guards (Gibson 6'3", Deloney 5'11"), along with the need for a reliable perimeter shooter (Gibson 39% career average, Deloney 23% career average) it's tough to envision him surpassing Gibson this year.

TBH I would've preferred another big. Lefebvre is a question mark, Fiorillo looked good offensively at times but still has a lot of work to do, anything from Demuth at this point is a bonus, Murphy looked good at times but is made of glass, Powell is solid and great glue guy, Davis is more than capable of retaining AE POY again. No real defensive presence in paint for the Cats much like Giddens or Dingba was. Outside of Lefebvre and Fiorillo, all of those guys have missed time with injuries and there's a strong likelihood all could deal with them again. Would love for the Cats to find a big whose primary objective would be to clog those lanes on defense.
Agreed. That would be huge. And possibly critical next year.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The lack of defensive presence in the middle is what I see as the Cats greatest weakness going into next season. As good as Davis is on offense I've been unimpressed with his defense. I don't know if he's been coached to avoid fouls but he's like a matador down low. Guys just go right by him. If he's going to expand his game he will need to add something on the defensive end. We have a ridiculous number of guards on the roster next season.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

It's never a good idea to speculate on redshirts. One of both of them might be good enough to get minutes.

Robin Duncan, Aaron Deloney are likely to lose out some time to Gibson, but could easily lose time to Alamutu or Guillory if they arrive and can offer consistent spot minute performance, which UVM will take instead of sitting guys out an entire year. Robin has the benefit of being a good defender and ball handler, but he's a black hole on offense. Ideally, Robin takes a page from Everett's book not for shooting but being able to add to his versatility by better defending the 3-4 positions in league play. Even Mazzulla to a lesser extent could see his minutes cut into, especially given his inconsistent scoring too. Deloney has proven nothing at all, so it's all on him to prove it.

This team might have a slight guard logjam, but given it's going to need to replace Smith's offense and the team still struggled with bench guard scoring all last season, talking redshirting is a luxury conversation right now I'd say UVM cannot afford to have unless returnees are really going to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I don't think pressing all the time is so great, but pressing on made baskets with 3 players seems to produce some turnovers with reduced defensive exposure. If you can take some seconds out of every possession it should lead to more bad shots that should lead to less scoring and a few easy ones off turnovers. This will be the season for the highest energy games.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The lack of defensive presence in the middle is what I see as the Cats greatest weakness going into next season. As good as Davis is on offense I've been unimpressed with his defense. I don't know if he's been coached to avoid fouls but he's like a matador down low. Guys just go right by him. If he's going to expand his game he will need to add something on the defensive end. We have a ridiculous number of guards on the roster next season.
Feed Georges Lefebvre - a lot. (Like feed him food - not feed him the basketball.)

61 - 80 of 92 Posts