Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
From hearing more and more about Gibson there’s a lot that explains why his shooting was down a bit in the last two years. I’m not concerned in the least. Normally I’m a bit bearish on acl injuries, but these days with medical advancements some folks (not all) are able to spring back to 100% after surgery. the fact he was finding his stride in the last few games at West Carolina is very encouraging.

I’m still a bit confused as to whether he‘ll be eligible this coming season. I assumed not as it sounds like hes not a graduate but hearing from others it also sounds like he could be? Hard to keep all these various waivers straightened out these days. Also, I hear “two years eligibility left” a bit; was he granted a medical redshirt in what would’ve been his sophomore year, or are they just referring to the “bonus” year this past season everyone got, or does he really have 3 years left with the bonus?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
I’m still a bit confused as to whether he‘ll be eligible this coming season. I assumed not as it sounds like hes not a graduate but hearing from others it also sounds like he could be? Hard to keep all these various waivers straightened out these days. Also, I hear “two years eligibility left” a bit; was he granted a medical redshirt in what would’ve been his sophomore year, or are they just referring to the “bonus” year this past season everyone got, or does he really have 3 years left with the bonus?
A) He should be immediately eligible, with the NCAA's recent (like, "last week" recent) change in transfer policy. Players are granted one free transfer without having to sit out a year; subsequent transfers without a sit-out year are still possible with a waiver process. Since this is his first transfer, he should be good to go this fall.

B) "Two years of eligibility left" would refer to everyone getting a free pass on the 20-21 season. He played way too many games in either of the last two seasons to receive a medical hardship, but has both his conventional Senior season plus his Super Senior eligibility remaining.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
there has to be a couple guards leaving-A few are to good to get approx. 10 min. at best...
Respectfully, who has proven they're too good for that? Our best guards are the oldest guys (Shungu/Mazzulla) who made a specific point to return. After that...Duncan has regrettably regressed. Deloney has yet to click, and I'm not sure it's a minutes issue (which is so disappointing to me, because he was such a standout in HS against some good college-ready competition, and it has yet to translate). And the two freshmen are as unproven as it gets, especially coming off a pandemic season where game-style competition was scarce and development had the potential to be stunted across the board (As an aside, if there was a group of players who probably needed/deserved an extra year of NCAA eligibility, it's the HS graduating class of 2021, but I digress).

Yeah, we're oversaturated with guards. No doubt. The coaching staff brought them all here, it's their job to figure out what to do with them all. But honestly, after watching last season I'm not sure we have a lot of guys who are "too good" for anything.

·
Registered
109 Posts
there has to be a couple guards leaving-A few are to good to get approx. 10 min. at best...
If someone can contribute a good 10 minutes, that would be very meaningful... After Benny and Justin, there's a drop off. Alamutu has some hype, so there's that. We'll see. Deloney needs to find his groove. From my vantage point, I expect Gibson to start.

My way too early starting 5:

Benny
Justin
Gibson
Powell
Davis

·
Registered
448 Posts
Benny
Justin
Gibson
Powell
Davis
I would really like more offense than that.

Anyone have any idea how many minutes Davis and Murphy shared on the floor this past season?

I wouldn't mind seeing them play together more. I don't love the offense outside Davis and Gibson on that lineup above.

*Just came back to add that I think I really mean 3pt spacing instead of offense. All these guys are talented scorers, but having limited perimeter shooters around Davis really limits his low/high post play.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would really like more offense than that.

Anyone have any idea how many minutes Davis and Murphy shared on the floor this past season?

I wouldn't mind seeing them play together more. I don't love the offense outside Davis and Gibson on that lineup above.

*Just came back to add that I think I really mean 3pt spacing instead of offense. All these guys are talented scorers, but having limited perimeter shooters around Davis really limits his low/high post play.
Yeah, I'd like some more offense too, but this is what we have. Benny does offense and a lot of other things. Powell took a jump in that department.

Davis and Murphy played very limited minutes together. I too would like to see them on the floor together a bit more and see where it goes. My fear is that it might leave us vulnerable on the defensive end.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I had some downtime at work, so I actually checked. Thankfully, it was a short season.

For context, Murphy and Davis both missed the Lowell series and Murphy missed the Albany series as well. In the 11 games both Davis and Murphy were active, Davis played 291 minutes. Murphy played 106.

By my calculations, the total amount of time Davis and Murphy were on the floor at the same time? 4 minutes, 33 seconds. Spread out across 3 games.

I too would like to see them on the floor more together. I'm also hoping there's a point where Murphy is actually 100% healthy, and we haven't seen "this is as healthy as he's going to get."

I wish I had more time, because it'd be interesting to see what the breakdown of our lineups were throughout the season, some measure of productivity, etc. But it was enough for me to just track these two guys.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had some downtime at work, so I actually checked. Thankfully, it was a short season.

For context, Murphy and Davis both missed the Lowell series and Murphy missed the Albany series as well. In the 11 games both Davis and Murphy were active, Davis played 291 minutes. Murphy played 106.

By my calculations, the total amount of time Davis and Murphy were on the floor at the same time? 4 minutes, 33 seconds. Spread out across 3 games.

I too would like to see them on the floor more together. I'm also hoping there's a point where Murphy is actually 100% healthy, and we haven't seen "this is as healthy as he's going to get."

I wish I had more time, because it'd be interesting to see what the breakdown of our lineups were throughout the season, some measure of productivity, etc. But it was enough for me to just track these two guys.
Thanks for doing that! What database did you use for that info? I know the UVM stat page is pretty basic.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Thanks for doing that! What database did you use for that info? I know the UVM stat page is pretty basic.
No database, I did it the old-fashioned way. Pulled the boxscores from the 11 games they played in from UVM's site, went to the Play-By-Play tab on each one, and Ctrl-F'd "SUB" all the way through to jump to all the in-game substitutions. Then I just kept track of which one of them was in the game (which wasn't hard, because like 99.9% of the time they were subbed for each other). A little time-consuming, but not difficult.

·
Registered
448 Posts
No database, I did it the old-fashioned way. Pulled the boxscores from the 11 games they played in from UVM's site, went to the Play-By-Play tab on each one, and Ctrl-F'd "SUB" all the way through to jump to all the in-game substitutions. Then I just kept track of which one of them was in the game (which wasn't hard, because like 99.9% of the time they were subbed for each other). A little time-consuming, but not difficult.
I would like to see that number go up to 4 minutes A GAME instead of all season. Obviously, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But you gotta try more than 4 minutes of it!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts