Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
U of AZ 72
102 Posts
Would Michel from Rice get the scholarship is no one else is found? It would kind of be a slap in the face to him if they have an empty scholarship and don't give it to him. Or maybe it would go to one of the other, older walk ons?
Why would they use it on a walk on when they could get a likely more skilled player . Don't get me wrong I like Michel but he's a project . They can always give him a scholly when they have more of a feel for his skill at this level.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don’t think will be another add unless something lands in Becker’s lap. We don’t need to chase some guard or wing who will, at most, play 8-10 minutes. That’d be a waste and frankly do a disservice to the prospective recruit. And that’s likely the best UVM could do right now. I’m most worried about a rotation/fringe big man like DeMuth or Lefebvre bolting than anything else.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Or maybe it would go to one of the other, older walk ons?
I don't think this will happen, especially this year because let's remember...while they are under the NCAA's allotted scholarship amount, they are WAY OVER the number of scholarships they normally assign to men's basketball. So it's not like it's budget money they need to spend or else they lose it. They're already getting some exceptions to the norms.

But in a normal year...yes, it would actually be benevolent to reward a senior walk-on with this opportunity, knowing they won't tie up the scholarship count for more than a season. But I'm sure it's not quite that easy, and again there may be budgetary benefits to not using it as opposed to using it just to feel good.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't think this will happen, especially this year because let's remember...while they are under the NCAA's allotted scholarship amount, they are WAY OVER the number of scholarships they normally assign to men's basketball. So it's not like it's budget money they need to spend or else they lose it. They're already getting some exceptions to the norms.

But in a normal year...yes, it would actually be benevolent to reward a senior walk-on with this opportunity, knowing they won't tie up the scholarship count for more than a season. But I'm sure it's not quite that easy, and again there may be budgetary benefits to not using it as opposed to using it just to feel good.
Even in a normal year, they don’t hand out benevolent scholarships. They have rewarded Rugg and Shungu, who earned their scholarship, but not guys like Garrison, who are practice players. Even Chad Powlovich was never on scholarship from what I recall, and he was a contributor.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Regarding our open staff spot for next season...

Looks like the job formally opened on Monday 6/7. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been conversations with people who are "encouraged" to apply, but as always, there's a process.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Regarding our open staff spot for next season...

Looks like the job formally opened on Monday 6/7. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been conversations with people who are "encouraged" to apply, but as always, there's a process.
I'd be less surprised if there isn't already a specific candidate...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Ernie Duncan?
Politely, it will not be Ernie Duncan. It's a long thread, but there are some good reasons laid out a few pages ago as to why it will not be Ernie Duncan.

If you want to think about an alum that could theoretically fill this spot (and do not construe this as me thinking this will happen) I'd think about Dre Wills.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Politely, it will not be Ernie Duncan. It's a long thread, but there are some good reasons laid out a few pages ago as to why it will not be Ernie Duncan.

If you want to think about an alum that could theoretically fill this spot (and do not construe this as me thinking this will happen) I'd think about Dre Wills.
I don't believe that it is an alum.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Per Jeff Goodman, meet our new assistant coach:

One year as an assistant at Mason (with also some support staff experience) and a year at Brown. Bucknell grad. Canadian (Nova Scotia, prepped in Ontario).

Welcome aboard, Bryson!

101 - 111 of 111 Posts