Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, I saw a Siena date floating around. And yes, this would be Dartmouth's turn to come north as part of the "I-89, but also I-91 Rivalry."

One would imagine Yale would be on the schedule as well, in Burlington.

Do we finally complete the UNCG return game this year down in NC? I think that is the only uncashed return...unless we left something hanging with Bucknell, but I remember there was some debate as to whether that was a home-and-home or a 2-for-1. It'd be cool to get them back to Burlington.
I posted in the OOC thread, I spoke to a Yale Assistant Coach and recruiter. UVM at Yale this year, Yale comes North next year.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The Yale game is probably in December then. I don't know if they're filling out their schedule as they go along, but they have all their November games listed: 2021-22 Men's Basketball Schedule - Yale University

Also, re: my post last night. That was talking to some season ticket holders who asked around. And lo and behold the trusty campus rec page has been updated for home games:

Men:
10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/11 vs. Dartmouth
11/18 vs. TBD
12/2 vs. Colgate

Women
11/5 vs. St. Mike's
11/9 vs. Merrimack
11/27-28: Vermont Classic Tournament (no teams listed on it)
12/3 vs. LIU
12/5 vs. Loyola Chicago
12/8 vs. Dartmouth

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Probably not a bad idea to corral the UVM scheduling news from the main 21-22 scheduling thread into this thread.

Cats will have 18 conference games, which means somewhere between 11-13 non-conference games depending on whether they play in an in-season tourney. So far reported are...

-at Providence
-at Maryland
-at Brown

Minimum 8 games remaining.
Probably wouldn't hurt for an update:

-at Providence
-at Maryland
-at Brown
-at Siena
-at Yale
-vs. Dartmouth
-vs. Colgate
-vs. TBA

Minimum 3 games remaining.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Heard UVM might be going back to the Gulf Coast Showcase in Florida which was canceled last year. Someone mentioned that to me recently. It would make some sense. But and don't shoot the messenger here, it's likely that the November 18th game is a good old non-D1 game, since the tournament is set to run November 22-24th if this information is true.

For what it's worth the Gulf Coast Showcase hasn't announced its field yet for 2021. Home

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am SO ready to hear any news about the team, if they are all in town and working out, pics of guys hooping/in the gym, whatever. Very curious about how the chemistry with the new guys is going, but I know that will not be evident until we see them in games. Throw the fans a bones....anyone.....pretty please!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Apparently, there was a lot of schedule date reshuffling. It's reflected in the campus rec schedules, and I'd heard it this morning because someone texted me saying "they're playing Yale at home" which now it appears, they are. So, here's what's updated on the men's end per the calendar:

10/30 vs. St. Mike's
11/6 vs. St. Anselm's
11/19 vs. Yale
12/1 vs. Dartmouth
12/22 vs. Colgate

11/18 is still listed as a TBD, but my guess is that is no longer a date that will be used. The women's schedule remains the same.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
...I'd heard it this morning because someone texted me saying "they're playing Yale at home" which now it appears, they are.
This was my initial hunch just because the last time we played them it was in New Haven, and they've pretty faithfully alternated locations since 07-08...or 92-93...or 83-84, however you want to look at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must have missed it but the preview in College Sports madness list Finn Sullivan Guard from San Diego as a transfer??
Pretty odd that there's literally no mention of Sullivan transferring to Vermont anywhere else. If this is true Sullivan should be able to help quite a bit with the bench scoring.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I just did a search and all I could find was a tweet saying that after Sullivan entered the transfer portal UVM was one of many schools who contacted him. It didn't say he had been offered and there is no new info that I could find.

I'd much rather see another big. We've got lots of guards and small forwards who can play.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I knew we had interest in this kid, but I kinda thought once we landed Gibson that the interest had subsided (mostly because the fit in a similar box: shooting guards with 2 years of eligibility to help on the perimeter) but there is a Finn Sullivan listed as a new transfer student in the publicly-available UVM directory, so there you go. Looks like last year was definitely his best 3-point shooting season.

2021-22 ROSTER (as of 7/21)

-16 scholarships used / 13 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Justin Mazzulla
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kameron Gibson
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Finn Sullivan
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory
-Michel Ndayishimiye (walk-on)

*COACH: John Becker

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There's a Finn Sullivan in UVM's campus directory as a continuing ed student (which is what all transfers and freshman are placed in when they're enrolled in summer classes), so it's probably true.

19 guys on a roster...going out on a limb to say that's a record.

Edit: posted before read, so this was covered just above.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I think about the movie Moneyball, and the scene where Brad Pitt is in the scouting room and says they're not going to replace Jason Giambi because there isn't another Giambi out there and even if there was they couldn't afford him. So instead they're going to "recreate" him using the aggregate value of lesser players.

It's like we decided there wasn't another Stef Smith out there, certainly not one we could get, so we just decided to load up on as many new guards as possible (4 on scholarship) and figured that they'll combine to make up the production...but, while also ignoring that we weren't that great last year to begin with, and not really addressing any of the things that may have contributed to us not being that great.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Damn, that's a big roster. A few of those guys won't be getting much reps in practice. Balancing that will be pretty interesting for the staff.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Damn, that's a big roster. A few of those guys won't be getting much reps in practice. Balancing that will be pretty interesting for the staff.
It is...coaches can't complain about not having enough bodies either. But, in terms of who gets to play, right off the bat I think you can eliminate 7 from having any meaningful role. My guess is still a 9-man rotation, and probably 7 of the spots already filled by returnees. There are certainly returnees who I think have to watch their backs (Robin Duncan, Mazzulla) if any of the 4 guards can step up not only on offense but be good enough two-way players. Then, the 3rd big man, you're basically hoping a senior who DNP'd most of the year (Demuth), a freshman who DNP'd most of the year (Lefebrve), and a former walk-on who had some promise but has some ways to go (Fiorillo) shows something more than they did.

They've got a full offseason for a change, so let's see if the formula with this many guys there's something workable to compete for a title. I have my doubts as of right now.

Additionally, I'll say it now, but my guess is the true seniors all move on and don't take the extra year...I don't think this is sustainable, because you can't hold on to dead weight scholarship players like Demuth, Beckett, Deloney, Robin longer while sacrificing getting better talent as freshman or transfers if you want to keep being successful.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Additionally, I'll say it now, but my guess is the true seniors all move on and don't take the extra year...I don't think this is sustainable, because you can't hold on to dead weight scholarship players like Demuth, Beckett, Deloney, Robin longer while sacrificing getting better talent as freshman or transfers if you want to keep being successful.
Especially because next year they'll be back to the hard cap of 13 scholarships. Maybe not all but I'd safely say that most will be playing their last season in a UVM uniform.

·
U of AZ 72
105 Posts
I knew we had interest in this kid, but I kinda thought once we landed Gibson that the interest had subsided (mostly because the fit in a similar box: shooting guards with 2 years of eligibility to help on the perimeter) but there is a Finn Sullivan listed as a new transfer student in the publicly-available UVM directory, so there you go. Looks like last year was definitely his best 3-point shooting season.

2021-22 ROSTER (as of 7/21)

-16 scholarships used / 13 scholarships counted toward NCAA limit of 13

*SUPER SENIORS
-Justin Mazzulla
-Bailey Patella
-Ben Shungu

*SENIORS
-Ryan Davis
-Duncan Demuth
-Robin Duncan
-Kameron Gibson
-Tomas Murphy
-Isaiah Powell
-Finn Sullivan
-Kevin Garrison (walk-on)

*JUNIORS
-Eric Beckett
-Aaron Deloney
-Deng Adiang (walk-on)

*SOPHOMORES
-Nick Fiorillo
-Georges Lefebvre

*FRESHMEN
-Sam Alamutu
-Evan Guillory
-Michel Ndayishimiye (walk-on)

*COACH: John Becker
Had a feeling they would use that last scholly but didn't think it would be another guard. Maybe he's good enough so they couldn't pass on him . Hope so.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a feeling they would use that last scholly but didn't think it would be another guard. Maybe he's good enough so they couldn't pass on him . Hope so.
I don’t get it. SO many guards. SO many bodies. Is this a calculation to deal with the new norm of allowing freer movement of student athletes from school to school? A way to incentivize certain players (those likely to warm the bench) to move on to other schools now?

121 - 140 of 141 Posts