Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hosted by Stony Brook, double elimination:

A2 Maine beat B1 Stony Brook 4-2 this morning behind ace Nick Sinacola's 7 inning, 11 strikeout, 1 run performance.

Maine awaits the winner of A1 Albany and B2 NJIT. Stony Brook will play the loser in tomorrow's first game. NJIT/Albany is scoreless in the bottom of the 3rd.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NJIT beat Albany 5-4 in game two.

Albany and Stony Brook play an elimination game at 10:00, followed by Maine-NJIT.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Man, I really hope Maine can win this thing and get to the NCAA's so that Sinacola can have an opportunity to really showcase his stuff. With double digit strikeouts in 11 of his 12 starts this year, it would be fun to see what he can do against a Top 25 caliber team which I'm sure Maine would face in the 1st round.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stony Brook 3 Albany 2 in the first game of the day.

Maine-NJIT will start at 1:30.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a rain delayed game today, Stony Brook beat Maine 15-9.

Stony Brook now must beat NJIT twice. First pitch scheduled for 5:00.

·
Registered
831 Posts
And your America East baseball champion, by way of weather delays...NJIT!

The best "run out the clock scenario" ever.

Sucks for both teams. SBU because it looked like they had a chance to force a final game and had momentum. NJIT because they will forever have an asterisk next to their first championship appearance.

Just can't happen ever again. If our members can't put up lights we should go back to Lowell's minor league stadium as the long-term championship host. Blaming facilities means you didn't plan for eventualities, which makes this situation entirely the conference's fault.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Just can't happen ever again. If our members can't put up lights we should go back to Lowell's minor league stadium as the long-term championship host. Blaming facilities means you didn't plan for eventualities, which makes this situation entirely the conference's fault.
Yeah, even if not intended, the statement definitely reads like it's putting a little blame on the facilities...facilities the league approved for the tournament. If having lights is a necessity (which it feels like it is), insist that the site has lights. That's literally your call.

Or, start the tournament earlier? Give yourself more time to complete it before running into the NCAA deadline? Because who could have guessed it would rain in the northeast...in May. Literally do anything other than what you're doing now.

You're right, though. Sucks for both teams, because this is completely out of their hands.

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
Not having fields with lights? I’d expect that in some towns for Little League, but not D1 championship baseball.

Reactions: brick-girl

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is pretty disgraceful. Did NJIT really mot show up to the field? They basically took the easy way out. Rules are rules but this one needs to be changed… it is much worse because sbu set the league record for conference wins and won regular season. If NJIT was regular season champs this wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

I just don’t understand why the AE didn’t just say seed the AE and say winner of SBU/NJIT. Then just finish the games tomorrow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, even if not intended, the statement definitely reads like it's putting a little blame on the facilities...facilities the league approved for the tournament. If having lights is a necessity (which it feels like it is), insist that the site has lights. That's literally your call.

Or, start the tournament earlier? Give yourself more time to complete it before running into the NCAA deadline? Because who could have guessed it would rain in the northeast...in May. Literally do anything other than what you're doing now.

You're right, though. Sucks for both teams, because this is completely out of their hands.
these are D1 teams. Lights should be mandatory especially for playoffs… maybe lavalle can get them some lights

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
Teams with no lights, a conference tournament ending like this. For a sport that just saw an upheaval which will directly result in more talent going into the college ranks, the AE sure isn't making a case for players that this can be a legitimate destination. That is really sad since three schools are in markets that just lost MiLB teams, so their fanbase will be hungry for something baseball related.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Question...and I can see why this is a scenario they would try at all costs to avoid, even though it's a situation of their own making: SBU was up 1-0 in the 3rd when that first title game was suspended. If they had managed to get that game in tonight, and Stony Brook won...but did not have time to complete the second game...would Stony Brook had been declared the champs by virtue of being the higher seed?

At least now you can say that the team that won the winner's bracket is the champion. Still a mess all around.

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
Question...and I can see why this is a scenario they would try at all costs to avoid, even though it's a situation of their own making: SBU was up 1-0 in the 3rd when that first title game was suspended. If they had managed to get that game in tonight, and Stony Brook won...but did not have time to complete the second game...would Stony Brook had been declared the champs by virtue of being the higher seed?

At least now you can say that the team that won the winner's bracket is the champion. Still a mess all around.
I was thinking the same thing (even though the run shouldn't have counted because that was clearly batter interference), and I would've given it to the higher seed.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is pretty disgraceful. Did NJIT really mot show up to the field? They basically took the easy way out. Rules are rules but this one needs to be changed… it is much worse because sbu set the league record for conference wins and won regular season. If NJIT was regular season champs this wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

I just don’t understand why the AE didn’t just say seed the AE and say winner of SBU/NJIT. Then just finish the games tomorrow.
There was video of NJIT celebrating in uniform in the parking lot. They were there.

I have a hard time feeling bad for SBU- it's their own field that didn't have lights.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, the highest seed with lights used to be the host, but then Maine was going to win the league a few years ago and they decided mid season to play at Lowell. So, frankly, y'all deserve your chaos because this issue was born out of no one wanting to schlep to Orono.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Also, the highest seed with lights used to be the host, but then Maine was going to win the league a few years ago and they decided mid season to play at Lowell. So, frankly, y'all deserve your chaos because this issue was born out of no one wanting to schlep to Orono.
Amen!

Y'all need to put an asterisk beside the "highest seed with lights" crap.......* excluding Orono, Maine.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts