Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
CCSU baseball returns to the NCAAs for the 7th time. Gutty weekend in Norwich for the NEC Tourney. Blue Devils came from the elimination game yesterday and defeated Bryant twice, including tonight's 5-2 win in the championship game.

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
So sounds like the they didn’t play at facilities with lights because membership voted to play tournament at highest seeds regardless of having a lit/or turf field.

If that’s the case, then you get what you get and don’t get upset. Oh well.

Finally, Stony Brook seriously can’t get lights on it’s baseball field? Huh?

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
SBU players are still pissed on Twitter, but that comes with the territory. One question I have is why the NCAA didn’t allow them to play tomorrow?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Probably because they are announcing the bracket at noon today. Seems like the NCAA was reasonable in it's denial.
Both teams would be four seeds in the bracket. Both would be flying out of an NYC area airport. Just slot in America East Representative TBA and it would have been fine.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
SBU players are still pissed on Twitter, but that comes with the territory. One question I have is why the NCAA didn’t allow them to play tomorrow?
While in this particular instance, it may be reasonable to slot a "AE Champion TBD" into the bracket because a) both potential champs would be 4-seeds in a regional and b) by virtue of being 70 miles apart, the travel required for either school sent to a regional would be virtually identical...is there any precedent for this? And if not, I can see why the NCAA doesn't want to go anywhere near setting one. Because it's a whole lot easier to say "the rule is the rule is the rule" than to say "well, that time it was ok because of X, Y, and Z...but sorry (insert other conference), your circumstances feel more complicated, so no dice."

Also, what if it keeps raining? I don't know what the forecast is on Long Island today (it's pretty cruddy in VT this morning), but at what point do we cut this off? And if they still haven't finished the tourney by a new cut-off date, is SBU any less dissatisfied? Or as mentioned earlier, what if they get the first game in...SBU wins...but can't finish the second game? Now what? And the regionals begin on Friday...you're not throwing pitchers on a Monday when you expected everyone to be resting by that point. In my opinion, this only gets messier.

I feel bad for the players on both sides. The SBU guys just want a shot, and the NJIT guys want to feel like they earned it. But the administrators all around bungled this.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The NCAA selection committee must have some Stony Brook grads: NJIT draws #1 Arkansas to open the tournament this Friday in Fayetteville. Nebraska and our old pal Northeastern are also in the regional.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
True, there were a few schools with worse records than NJIT, like Presbyterian, Norfolk State, Southern and Jacksonville. I know they try to keep travel costs down and it's apparent that NJIT was going to have to fly wherever they went, so maybe that is why they get the honor of playing the top-seeded Razorbacks in the first round.

I see that Central Conn State gets to fly out to Oregon to take on the 14th-seeded Ducks in the first round. That's a tough regional as Gonzaga, ranked #14 in the latest poll and SEC member & strong tradition LSU are out there

And did I also see that Fairfield is 37-3??? Is that right? I see that all 40 games were conference games only but still, that's impressive to win 37 games vs MAAC competition.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm not sure the baseball committee "seeds" within the 2, 3, and 4 bands. The 1 seeds are seeded 1-16, and host (except Old Dominion, who did not bid to host).

The 2, 3, and 4 seeds are placed in the most geographically convenient non-conference location. Because the 4 seeds are overwhelmingly from northern one-bid leagues, they basically are all flying somewhere and I think it's largely random. I think the discussion about 4 seeds is more like "Norfolk State can bus to Greenville, Central Michigan can bus to Notre Dame, Samford can bus to Mississippi State, Grand Canyon can bus to Arizona..."

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
And did I also see that Fairfield is 37-3??? Is that right? I see that all 40 games were conference games only but still, that's impressive to win 37 games vs MAAC competition.
Even crazier in my opinion: 2 of those losses were in the conference tournament. They didn't even win their auto bid. They were like 33-1 or something before the postseason.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The best "run out the clock scenario" ever.

Sucks for both teams. SBU because it looked like they had a chance to force a final game and had momentum. NJIT because they will forever have an asterisk next to their first championship appearance.

Just can't happen ever again. If our members can't put up lights we should go back to Lowell's minor league stadium as the long-term championship host. Blaming facilities means you didn't plan for eventualities, which makes this situation entirely the conference's fault.
After Binghamton finishes its 60 million dollar baseball stadiam (4th most expensive in the nation), we should host going forward.

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
If Kevin Costner can plow under his corn field in Iowa while flat broke to install lights for Shoeless Joe Jackson’s ghost, then Stony Brook can surely install lights for its D1 baseball players with all its RenTech money.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
169 Posts
In the case of an incomplete postseason, how do you not just give it to the regular season champion? WTF

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Why can every other league in the country operate a normal baseball season and post-season but America East can never seem to do that? I think that there is too much input from too many different sources as the season progresses. The league needs to set everything in stone before the season starts.....and stick with it! This whole reactionary fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants BS needs to stop......it is really a black eye on the league and cements the small-time image of America East.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Why can every other league in the country operate a normal baseball season and post-season but America East can never seem to do that? I think that there is too much input from too many different sources as the season progresses. The league needs to set everything in stone before the season starts.....and stick with it! This whole reactionary fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants BS needs to stop......it is really a black eye on the league and cements the small-time image of America East.
The weather doesn't help.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts