Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
It was raining and 46 degrees from S
Why can every other league in the country operate a normal baseball season and post-season but America East can never seem to do that? I think that there is too much input from too many different sources as the season progresses. The league needs to set everything in stone before the season starts.....and stick with it! This whole reactionary fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants BS needs to stop......it is really a black eye on the league and cements the small-time image of America East.
It pretty clearly reads like they did exactly that. The reality is you’re dealing with the self-interests of the members wanting to host at home vs the challenges of facilities (no lights at places) and logistics with Spring weather in the northeast.

It was 46 degrees and raining Saturday-Monday this past Memorial weekend here in Boston. Some years, it’s sunny and 92 every day. Heard it was miserable on the Island as well. Good luck properly planning around that variability.

Personally, my opinion is if a field doesn’t have lights or turf options that should be a complete non-starter to be able to host a playoff game.

Reactions: mainejeff

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yeah, "Lights Required, Turf Preferred" should be how the site discussion is driven. If you're going to have a multi-day baseball tournament in the northeast in May that NEEDS to be finished, this is what you need to do...even if that means having these amenities at back-up/secondary sites.

Fully acknowledging this might be a stupid idea for reasons I haven't considered but: what about starting the tournament a whole week earlier? Yeah, you lose a week of the season. But you also give yourself 7-8 more days to complete it instead of everyone turning into pumpkins at Midnight on Saturday night.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah, "Lights Required, Turf Preferred" should be how the site discussion is driven. If you're going to have a multi-day baseball tournament in the northeast in May that NEEDS to be finished, this is what you need to do...even if that means having these amenities at back-up/secondary sites.

Fully acknowledging this might be a stupid idea for reasons I haven't considered but: what about starting the tournament a whole week earlier? Yeah, you lose a week of the season. But you also give yourself 7-8 more days to complete it instead of everyone turning into pumpkins at Midnight on Saturday night.
Tough to do because a number of teams can't host until late in the season. Unless we want to start playing conference games in Florida.

Sad as it is, the answer may be that D-I baseball is untenable for small, northern conferences.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Tough to do because a number of teams can't host until late in the season. Unless we want to start playing conference games in Florida.
And if we do? :)

Beats my idea of all conference members going in on a plot of land in upstate NY or western Mass somewhere and building a multi-purpose dome for stuff like this. A stadium time share, if you will.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
And if we do? :)

Beats my idea of all conference members going in on a plot of land in upstate NY or western Mass somewhere and building a multi-purpose dome for stuff like this. A stadium time share, if you will.
I mean, you're talking to the guy who thinks the FCS should eliminate the playoffs and just play bowl games among conference champs because I'd rather watch Maine play Jacksonville State in Tampa in December than in Orono.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts

Sad as it is, the answer may be that D-I baseball is untenable for small, northern conferences.
For a while, college teams in the Great Lakes region have been asking to move the start of baseball season to early April and have the CWS in July. Last year, the Big Ten endorsed the idea, but when MiLB had its realignment creating new summer leagues, that plan fizzled out.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

I take back the supportive things I've said about them in the last week. Should have been Stony Brook.

NJIT and their blasphemous uniforms lost their opener to Arkansas 13-8. They play either Nebraska or Northeastern in an elimination game tomorrow at 3.

EDIT: It'll be Northeastern, who fell 8-6 to Nebraska. I checked: No stray AE logos on the Huskies' uniforms.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Are you friggin kidding me? Has that been on there all year? That is ridiculous.

Reactions: Aceinthehole

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you guys heard anything about what Matt Senk did? It's been going around twitter that he punched & banged an umpire's head into a wall once the rain delay started last week and that played a part to end the tournament early.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Have you guys heard anything about what Matt Senk did? It's been going around twitter that he punched & banged an umpire's head into a wall once the rain delay started last week and that played a part to end the tournament early.
Honestly, if that happened, we would've heard about it before and he would've been fired by now; either that, or there are some serious problems in AE baseball.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts