Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thankfully you are not in charge of recruiting.

ccd, lead recruiter of UM men's hoops:

Maine doesn't draw flies, we have no sustained history of success and we don't have an on-campus facility to play in.......I'm not a very good coach either, but if you don't get any other offers......come play for us!

:confused::rolleyes:
I think you are confused. The recruiting images attached to Jaeden Zackery's post include an image from a Maine Women's Game. These games draw a larger crowd and look more impressive than the empty men's games. Even though it's pretty clear it's a women's game, they still sent that image for him to post on social media.

Maybe they SHOULD have consulted ccd on which images to send along.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think you are confused. The recruiting images attached to Jaeden Zackery's post include an image from a Maine Women's Game. These games draw a larger crowd and look more impressive than the empty men's games. Even though it's pretty clear it's a women's game, they still sent that image for him to post on social media.

Maybe they SHOULD have consulted ccd on which images to send along.
I'm not confused. It's the facility that he would be playing in. Of course they aren't going to use pictures of a mostly empty arena in recruiting circles. Duh!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does anybody know if the Vermont coaches are even looking at candidates or talking to them.
The only 2 big men left after next year are LeFebvre and Fiorillo.
Not looking good for 2 years down the road.
Seems Vermont is resting on their laurels.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Does anybody know if the Vermont coaches are even looking at candidates or talking to them.
I don't have any first-hand information, but I'll just say...isn't this kinda always how it goes? There are some exceptions, but I feel like we rarely have a lot of advance notice about recruiting/commitments. Maybe we'll hear about an offer, but maybe not. Then a commitment will appear, which will occupy the next 6 pages of this thread. :)

My guess is that the remaining coaches are working the virtual recruiting trail as we speak: probably mostly transfers and and 2022's, but maybe some stray 2021's as well.

Hey, you're not wrong at all: there's definitely a lot of work to do on a couple of fronts. Hopefully they're doing it. But I wouldn't let perceived silence discourage you, is all.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Given the fact that we're just hearing now that athletic departments are being informed that basically they need to tell their seniors with an extra year of eligibility that those players would have to pay for their extra year, there might well be some extra movement that has downstream changes.

I would assume that if a program decided to give their graduating player a scholarship out of the 13, that's fine. But they aren't going to get any special help from some universities.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How many years will Thomas Murphy be around? He would have had two years of eligibility pre-Covid waivers, so if you count this past season as a "freeby" he would still have two more years. Or in his situation does it not work that way?

I'm very glad Shungu, Patella and co. are getting their much-deserved fifth year. It will be interesting however to see what the staff does in the next couple of years with current underclassmen who should still be eligible for the same fifth-year waivers.

And I certainly echo the need for bigs. UVM is always short on bigs. I would take bigs over any other position every year. UVM doesn't have the luxury of recruiting best available (like they do in NFL and NBA drafts). We need a position-based recruiting strategy.

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts
I suspect some of the players we were looking at for 2022 now have Albany offers from Tibbs, the NMH kid and Cushing Academy/Albany area kid. Obviously Matt Griffin offered the Roman Catholic kid in Philly.

Probably a lot going on behind the scenes, as is usually the case.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
How many years will Thomas Murphy be around? He would have had two years of eligibility pre-Covid waivers, so if you count this past season as a "freeby" he would still have two more years. Or in his situation does it not work that way?
Tomas Murphy has two years of eligibility remaining (2021-22 & 2022-23). I believe the recent release from UVM about returning players confirmed that. He's also already a grad student, so that may influence his decision making as to where he wants to spend 2022-23 (at UVM, at another school, or elsewhere).

If he were to return to UVM for 2022-23 he would count against the 13 scholarship limit.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,624 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Vermont adds another recruit for 2021-2022. Any thoughts on this?

Super quick, explosive offensively, only 5’10” but solidly-built. Unproven vs higher level players and who knows if he can meet Becker’s demands defensively. Will redshirt. Follows in the path of Shungu, who was also 2-time Vt player of the year and who red-shirted. A good addition.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts