Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like your point of DK is now getting much different types of players then Brown. Looks like at one point this player had high interest then it fizzled out, but does seem like a steal for the America East along with Drumgoole. The question marks for Albany will be Xs and Os, the scoring and the shooting. The athleticism and size is clearly there as the roster is filled with guys between 6'3 and 6'7 . If i had to guess the style of play may be some press/ traps..anything to speed the game up which he has said. Time will tell, we honestly know next to nothing about the UA team at this point. I think getting Taylor back would be HUGE even if its just one year. The only other thing I will question with Albany is they have a ton of guys at the same 3-4 tweaner position, I am sure in due time they will figure it out roster wise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Verbal Commits
Former St. John's G John McGriff is transferring to Binghamton. Verbal Commits
This guy's gonna be trouble for the rest of the America East... I know it's only 2 players that I know of that this new interim coach has brought in but both look like they are pretty solid players who should do well on the AE....finally something to be positive about regarding the men's basketball team at bing!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
This guy's gonna be trouble for the rest of the America East... I know it's only 2 players that I know of that this new interim coach has brought in but both look like they are pretty solid players who should do well on the AE....finally something to be positive about regarding the men's basketball team at bing!!
Really impressive handle, quickness, court awareness. He will be a problem.

·
Gr8t Dane
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
It's really surprising the number of upper level recruits that we are seeing signing in the AE this season - especially so many with multiple years of eligibility remaining. Not sure if this is the COVID effect, the number of kids on the transfer portal, or if it will become the new norm.

Many of us predicted that we might start to see some of the bench players from the big schools start to transfer down to be stars right away, and this might even improve the league more than our starts transferring up hurts it. It is starting to look like it has the potential to be that way. Especially when players can start to earn off their likeness. Being a star in a market like Albany or Hartford - bigger market, but no major sports competition - could mean more potential earnings for player as an All America-East Player than they could make as the 7th or 8th man at a big east type school.

No matter the reason, it seems that all teams have stepped up their recruiting and at the moment the league looks to have more competitive teams than ever next year. It's going to be fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Id say this year in general is a unicorn. That being said the kids and athletes have realized the schools and most coaches have no loyalty to each other or the players, therefore the moment they are given the chance to bolt they will. I wonder about these high major guys who average 1ppg or averaged 10 minutes per game who probably think they can just show up in the America East. Its not often that a player has transferred down and became dominant and vice versa. 80% of the time the kids transfering because they simply are not good enough. This year is a unicorn in that even players who received ample playing time are now transferring too, the social media, cool thing to do this year.

·
Gr8t Dane
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
I'd love it if someone could take the time to compile a list of players signed in the AE for 2021. It would be pretty fun to rank the recruits and recruiting classes.

Player / Height / Position / AE Team / years remaining / Previous School / Relevant Stats if a transfer or Recruit Rankings if coming from High school / Highest other offers

I don't have time to create a list, but would be a fun read.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
6’9” F out of a NBA academy in Australia but from Uganda. Has a 7’2” wingspan. Will be interesting as he didn’t really okay much at all at OU.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Obeng-Mensah is not a particularly good shooter but he is long and athletic. Maybe another Keondre Kennedy type. But not what I would have assumed from how Ferry talked about his offensive philosophy. We need some shooters like Sherburne, Maura, etc to play off all these dribble drive guys.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Obeng-Mensah is not a particularly good shooter but he is long and athletic. Maybe another Keondre Kennedy type. But not what I would have assumed from how Ferry talked about his offensive philosophy. We need some shooters like Sherburne, Maura, etc to play off all these dribble drive guys.
He doesn't look like a guard, like Keondre, though - he's bulkier and can beat around in the post it looks like from his tape. Averaged 9.7 RPG in his shortened 2021 season. Definitely would like to see higher percentages but seems like a good JUCO flyer.

Agree would like to see us add a shooter, though I like these two additions at first look.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Given the recent issues (being discussed in another thread), with the UVM athletics department and the press coverage involved, I wonder how impact it will have on recruiting this year or the next several years.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Article about Obeng-Mensah.

261 - 280 of 289 Posts