Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Exactly. My feeling is the seniors likely move on regardless. But, I'd add on that Schulman categorically said in a statement either to the Freep or one of the other local media earlier this year that spring sport athletes, who were granted waivers by the NCAA to stay on after their seasons were canceled need to move on as the university would not up or honor any scholarship commitments to them. While we know basketball gets preferential treatment and it's a possibility there could be some workarounds, I'm going to imagine the same thing applies here. Any "conversations" about it re: Becker's statements I am not reading too much into right now...but I'd argue if they were serious about it, they wouldn't be landing incoming freshman for 2021, right? I would just say everyone should commit now to knowing this is the last year of the current senior class and then be surprised if it's not. It's not worth the effort to envision otherwise.
On the face of it the free year seems like a great bonus, but it's fraught with issues. You can't stop recruiting in order to be able to accommodate seniors who want to return, so where do you find scholarships for the returners? UVM is a pubic university and the slots in its student body are state assets which belong to the citizens of Vermont. They can't simply be given away as they could at a private school; funds have to be raised to pay for them. And the current roster has 16 players. If everyone returns and you add the two new frosh next year, that's 18. Do you want your young players to sit for a year while waiting for playing time to be freed up? This may be one of those situations in which you ought to be careful what you ask for.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
On the face of it the free year seems like a great bonus, but it's fraught with issues. You can't stop recruiting in order to be able to accommodate seniors who want to return, so where do you find scholarships for the returners? UVM is a pubic university and the slots in its student body are state assets which belong to the citizens of Vermont. They can't simply be given away as they could at a private school; funds have to be raised to pay for them. And the current roster has 16 players. If everyone returns and you add the two new frosh next year, that's 18. Do you want your young players to sit for a year while waiting for playing time to be freed up? This may be one of those situations in which you ought to be careful what you ask for.
It's about the scholarships afforded to each sport. Men's basketball gets 13. Walk ons really don't matter in that count. So long as you only have 13 scholarship players, you can have 20 guys on your roster. Schulman came right out earlier this year and said UVM would not exceed its scholarship count to accomodate athletes in any sport, so the only way any senior stays is if UVM keeps it within 13. You can play mental Olympics all day figuring out how to have some stay, some leave, but it's a waste of energy and probably only sets people up for disappointment in the end,

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's about the scholarships afforded to each sport. Men's basketball gets 13. Walk ons really don't matter in that count. So long as you only have 13 scholarship players, you can have 20 guys on your roster. Schulman came right out earlier this year and said UVM would not exceed its scholarship count to accomodate athletes in any sport, so the only way any senior stays is if UVM keeps it within 13. You can play mental Olympics all day figuring out how to have some stay, some leave, but it's a waste of energy and probably only sets people up for disappointment in the end,
With the actual Olympics postponed, all I currently have is mental Olympics. And oddly, having lost my mind over the last 9 months, I think I like them better than the real Olympics. Probably due to fewer advertisements.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
A number of seniors who can return will be graduating anyway, especially those who are a fifth-year already, so I predict you're going to see less players taking this opportunity than one might expect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Given some of the dialogue on another string about next year for UVM, I decided to revisit video of the recruits now expected in Burlington. I can't help but be excited about these two kids. Both really physical, explosive athletically. They will bring a more athleticism to the Cats next year....here is a sampling:

And pardon the ad at the beginning of Guillory's video:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hoops started up in the Binghamton-area last night and Seton senior Brett Rumpel went off for 51 points, 12 rebounds and 8 assists in a big win. Binghamton and Monmouth remain his only reported offers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hoops started up in the Binghamton-area last night and Seton senior Brett Rumpel went off for 51 points, 12 rebounds and 8 assists in a big win. Binghamton and Monmouth remain his only reported offers.
He followed it up with 46 the next night.

Anyways, he said he's going to go to prep school since he lost the ability to get exposure on the AAU circuit this past year. Will be interesting to follow him next season to see what he does against better competition.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
According to verbal commits Hartford has offered 6’3 PG Christian Wright from Georgia. interesting list as the most recent offers were teams like Mount St Mary’s and Charleston Southern. Previously offers were from Nebraska/Kansas St/ ST John’s/TCU/Middle Tennessee/Georgia Tech. Since Hartford has no spots available ( after signing PG Kurtis Henderson from Mass) this tells me that Carter is unlikely to come back next season As otherwise they probably wouldn’t make their only signings PG’s.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts