Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 765 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a couple of openings already. Latest is Northern Illinois fired their coach. Lamar Chapman the former Stony Brook assistant is the interim coach at the moment for NIU. I also was inspired to post this after seeing BC (a hot seat favorite) drub Miami last night...because both those coaches might not be coaching there next year. Larranaga might want to retire. He's 71 and is staring at three-straight bad years. He's had a good run there, but might be time to go.

Anyway here's what's officially open: Wichita State (abuse allegations), Penn State (abuse/racism allegations), Northern Illinois (performance?), Tennessee-Martin (sadly because their coach died), Texas State (abuse/racism allegations)

DePaul seems like a safe bet to open. Guys like Pastner at Georgia Tech and Brownell at Clemson are always options but that seems to yo-yo based on the day and how much they manage to win. Same for Maryland with Turgeon and the entire fanbase hating the guy. I could actually see him splitting especially if he only has 2 years left on his deal and just going and taking another job (go back to Wichita State? Maybe Iowa State or SMU opens?)

For the mid-major types, Fordham has to be a lock to make a change. Paulsen at George Mason is trending down...New Mexico was once good and now they suck and that program does have high expectations...as for the low majors? Binghamton! Not, Dempsey gets an extension thanks to that "sophomore promise!"

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a coaching change, but I feel like the Jerry Stackhouse/Vanderbilt relationship is going to come to an end. Had a little bit of a meltdown in his press conference after losing again, blaming his players, when he's the one who is 3-20 in SEC play. Also, DMing fans and getting into spats with them, always a good look! Bryce Drew could at least point to injuries as causing his tenure to go wrong at Vandy, but the guy got most of their talent in the door. Stackhouse just doesn't know what he's doing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I remember when everyone was giving kevin stallings a hard time for not being better at Vanderbilt. This is the epitome of the "be careful what you wish for" saying. Vanderbilt since Stallings left is 55-87. That is a 0.382 winning percentage. Stallings was 312-220. That is good enough for a .586 winning percentage. Both Vanderbilt an Stallings have never been the same since the move. The only difference is Stalling s got the multimillion dollar buyout and Vanderbilt will have to payout two(Drew and Stackhouse).

Binghamton and Albany will both have openings at the end of the season. Both Dempsey and Brown have their contracts expiring this year.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember when everyone was giving kevin stallings a hard time for not being better at Vanderbilt. This is the epitome of the "be careful what you wish for" saying. Vanderbilt since Stallings left is 55-87. That is a 0.382 winning percentage. Stallings was 312-220. That is good enough for a .586 winning percentage. Both Vanderbilt an Stallings have never been the same since the move. The only difference is Stalling s got the multimillion dollar buyout and Vanderbilt will have to payout two(Drew and Stackhouse).

Binghamton and Albany will both have openings at the end of the season. Both Dempsey and Brown have their contracts expiring this year.
Yes regarding Stallings, but they really didn't help themselves having such a quick trigger to fire Bryce Drew. He can never live down the winless SEC season, but...if Darius Garland doesn't get hurt it might be a different story. He was getting high-end talent there. Vandy hired an AD from the G-League who wanted Stackhouse...now that AD is gone after only a year. My guess is it's not a firing but Stackhouse resigns to go back to the pro ranks. I'd say that would be a nice landing spot for guys like Thad Matta and John Beilein, but one, the latter has baggage now and is pretty old, and two both of them lamented about dealing with the recruiting underbelly at that level, so I can't imagine them enjoying SEC recruiting even if Vandy is a different breed.

Not sure I agree on Brown. It depends where they end up finishing I guess, but this feels like if it's around .500 he'll get a 2 year extension. I'd be surprised honestly, but it is an easy out for Albany if they want to make a move.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd be surprised if Albany gives Will Brown the boot. Danes are trending up and have the feel of a contender. If Albany does do it, it will Albany's loss and a win for the other teams in the conference.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'd think Amaker would be a natural for Vandy. He's done very well at Harvard, but there's nothing left to do -- and I'm sure he still longs for the big time.

In the case of Albany, before the AD makes a move to replace Brown they should be able to answer the question "Who would be better?". I'm not sure I'd have an answer to that question if I was the Albany AD. Are they going to be better off taking the latest hot P5 assistant knowing that the failure rate of these guys is well north of 50% and those that do succeed are likely to be off to greener pastures within 5 years anyway?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd think Amaker would be a natural for Vandy. He's done very well at Harvard, but there's nothing left to do -- and I'm sure he still longs for the big time.

In the case of Albany, before the AD makes a move to replace Brown they should be able to answer the question "Who would be better?". I'm not sure I'd have an answer to that question if I was the Albany AD. Are they going to be better off taking the latest hot P5 assistant knowing that the failure rate of these guys is well north of 50% and those that do succeed are likely to be off to greener pastures within 5 years anyway?
Amaker is a package deal with his wife, who has a prominent role at Harvard too. It's a good call but only if Vandy has a place for the Doctor as well.

I think you're right on Albany and Brown. He's what you know and we know he is capable of winning in this league and it's not as though it was 10 years ago, it was 3-4 seasons ago he was winning 20 games and on the brink of upsetting a 16-0 team to go to his sixth NCAA. I think he does need to show there's signs the two-year downturn is being corrected, but he should be given a couple more years to prove it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm biased, of course, but I think Becker is a better hire than Amaker. (It's tougher to win at Vermont than Harvard.) Amaker has done well at Harvard, and I think he's happy there. Vanderbilt is a very tough job, and I'm not convinced that Amaker would succeed there. Not a slight, just a tough place to win for anyone, including Becker. Just mentioning: Amaker struggled at Michigan and Seton Hall before connecting at Harvard.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm biased, of course, but I think Becker is a better hire than Amaker. (It's tougher to win at Vermont than Harvard.) Amaker has done well at Harvard, and I think he's happy there. Vanderbilt is a very tough job, and I'm not convinced that Amaker would succeed there. Not a slight, just a tough place to win for anyone, including Becker. Just mentioning: Amaker struggled at Michigan and Seton Hall before connecting at Harvard.
Disagree. Amaker has won actual tournament games multiple times at Harvard. Has proven he can still recruit top 100 players, and would still have way more cache and ability to get and coach at a job like Vandy than Becker would. As for his past at Seton Hall and Michigan, sure they weren't great, but remember with Michigan he was dealing with all the Fab 5 fallout and the toll that took on the program too. Also, he was 30 years old when he got the Seton Hall gig, and did lead them to a Sweet 16...he's 55 now, and I'm sure he's learned a lot since then, and based on his resume, there's a reason he's going to be discussed for power 5 jobs, and with good reason. I agree he's happy at Harvard, and if it's a package deal with him and his wife, I don't see anything happening unless a school steps up on both fronts.

Rightly or wrongly, Becker just based on his coaching resume will be looked at as a guy who has never coached above a low level of D1 in a league that is not as good as the Ivy League (numbers say so, tournament success with Harvard and Yale lately say so). The best he can hope for is that he's looked at like Mike Young at Virginia Tech, since his profile was similar at Wofford. But, SoCon >>> AE, and Young won a tournament game at Wofford. Not every AD thinks that way. Furthermore, knowing what came to light this summer, whether or not he was directly involved or not, Becker now has attached baggage to him that schools have to consider if he's a candidate.

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
On paper and probably in practice, Amaker would be a good candidate for Vanderbilt and Becker would be a good candidate for Harvard.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Disagree. Amaker has won actual tournament games multiple times at Harvard. Has proven he can still recruit top 100 players, and would still have way more cache and ability to get and coach at a job like Vandy than Becker would. As for his past at Seton Hall and Michigan, sure they weren't great, but remember with Michigan he was dealing with all the Fab 5 fallout and the toll that took on the program too. Also, he was 30 years old when he got the Seton Hall gig, and did lead them to a Sweet 16...he's 55 now, and I'm sure he's learned a lot since then, and based on his resume, there's a reason he's going to be discussed for power 5 jobs, and with good reason. I agree he's happy at Harvard, and if it's a package deal with him and his wife, I don't see anything happening unless a school steps up on both fronts.

Rightly or wrongly, Becker just based on his coaching resume will be looked at as a guy who has never coached above a low level of D1 in a league that is not as good as the Ivy League (numbers say so, tournament success with Harvard and Yale lately say so). The best he can hope for is that he's looked at like Mike Young at Virginia Tech, since his profile was similar at Wofford. But, SoCon >>> AE, and Young won a tournament game at Wofford. Not every AD thinks that way. Furthermore, knowing what came to light this summer, whether or not he was directly involved or not, Becker now has attached baggage to him that schools have to consider if he's a candidate.
I think I agree with just about everything you've said here. Bringing up SHU and Michigan is like saying Bill Belichick is a lousy coach because of his experience with the Browns. It's part of the foundation - not a scarlet letter.

With respect to the "package deal" I know that was a big deal 5-10 years ago, but a lot can change in that amount of time. I don't follow his career that closely, but I don't think it has come up recently. The Vanderbilt job is the perfect bridge from the Ivy to the P5. And it has a direct parallel to the job that I'm sure is/was his dream job at Duke -- private, academic, Southeastern school slugging it out against the big publics. He probably isn't ever going to get the Duke job, making Vandy the next best thing. And from a personal ego standpoint, anything the next coach achieves at Duke will be viewed as a follow on to Coach K's legacy. What you accomplish and build at Vandy is your own.

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
Vandy would be a great payday, but so many inherent challenges for them in the SEC to consistently win there. The school is effectively on an island in that conference given it's a prestigious SE academic school and the rest....uh, do award degrees. JK Florida is a decent school.

Harvard is also likely at this point a multi-million dollar a year job, and Amaker can also win 20+ a year and recruit the exact same kids. It could make sense if he wants another shot at a P5 job, but I would think he's grown roots at this point at Harvard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not knocking Amaker. He'd be a great hire for Vandy, though I think he and his wife are very comfortable at Harvard, where he can land top 100 players. Has Vermont ever nabbed a top 100 player? Not that I know of. Would Becker have won a tournament game last season? We'll never know. Yes, Amaker got some excellent experience at his first stops (Michigan and The Hall) and he's utilizing that experience at Harvard. I'm surprised that Becker doesn't get more looks from other schools.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts

Fordham is a dead end for any coach that accepts the job. A coach hasn't left there for a better job since 1986 (Penders). Every head coach since then has either been outright fired (Hill/Whittenberg/Pecora/Neubauer) or nudged out (Macarchuk). The school's last post season appearance was back in 1992 when the program was in the Patriot League. Fordham has only had two winning conference records since joining the A-10 in 1995-96.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Wait Will Brown's seat is moderately warm? I echo the question above, who is going to do better there?

I kinda figured Brown had reached "he will leave when he decides to retire, and will have the court named after him" status. He's coached 18 seasons at Albany that have had an NCAA tournament played (ie I'm not counting last season or this season) and he has made the tournament 5 times in that time. More than 1-in-4 seasons! In a one bid league!

What coach is Albany going to hire that will match that? MAYBE you get a young hotshot who will have 2 or 3 good years and then move up, at which point you have to try to do that again. That's a tough rollercoaster to be on.

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
Fordham is a dead end for any coach that accepts the job. A coach hasn't left there for a better job since 1986 (Penders). Every head coach since then has either been outright fired (Hill/Whittenberg/Pecora/Neubauer) or nudged out (Macarchuk). The school's last post season appearance was back in 1992 when the program was in the Patriot League. Fordham has only had two winning conference records since joining the A-10 in 1995-96.
Agreed. Fordham definition of a dead end gig. Their best bet hungry, young assistant that is attracted by the money. Retread does not seem to be working here.

As for Becker and other jobs, he was a finalist for URI. More recently he’s been mentioned as candidate for Penn State opening, and so has Dave Cox, in which case he’d (Becker) then be a candidate at URI again, presumably.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Agreed. Fordham definition of a dead end gig. Their best bet hungry, young assistant that is attracted by the money. Retread does not seem to be working here.

As for Becker and other jobs, he was a finalist for URI. More recently he’s been mentioned as candidate for Penn State opening, and so has Dave Cox, in which case he’d (Becker) then be a candidate at URI again, presumably.
Does Becker have serious interest in these positions?

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
Does Becker have serious interest in these positions?
Not sure what you mean. The PSU vacancy is obviously new this year and he's just been named as a possible candidate so any connection there is speculation at this point, but as for URI the interest has already occurred. When Hurley went to UConn he interviewed for the job and was a finalist. It was always Cox to lose and he was clear front runner for job, but that should answer the question.

1 - 20 of 765 Posts