Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

561 - 580 of 679 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
CCSU job officially closed yesterday (3/30), so expecting to hear some names leaked by local media/sources later this week
Looking forward to it. Hopefully you guys get someone that can get that team back on track.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
NBA teams have scouts that find the kids/players and watch an ungodly amount of film on people. They conduct a lot of the background checks and talk with coaches, support people, etc. The coaches of the NBA team don't get too involved in all that but discuss prospects as they relate to the team and their needs. I highly doubt he has talked to many coaches at all except for some that he already knows.
I think that is a large part of why Juwan Howard came in and was so successful from the start.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
And now Texas is hiring Chris Beard, per Jeff Goodman. It's gonna be that kinda day, apparently.
I’ll be honest, I never liked poaching head coaches in-conference. It sends a middle finger to your players; I didn’t like it when Dan Mullen left Mississippi State for Florida, and I don’t like this.

·
Examiner
744 Posts
Texas Tech should just flip the bird at Texas and Big12 and move to Pac12 which would be mutually beneficial.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I guess I can’t blame Beard for taking it. Even if it doesn’t work, you walk away with a ton of money and still would be in demand for good jobs. Basically what Shaka just did. I do agree though, that the intra-conference thing is kind of crappy.

If anyone can do it, it’s probably him. He’s an excellent coach and will have every resource he could want.

Really interested to see what happens with UNC.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
In WAAAAAAAAY lower profile news, Lamar hired Houston assistant Alvin Brooks to be its head coach. He's not to be confused with Baylor assistant Alvin Brooks III, his son...who will meet each other as assistants in the Final Four on Saturday, which feels like a cool story that needs more attention.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
Will Brown to UNC.

Uh, what day is it again?
Some real good content opportunities with Indiana job and now North Carolina for Fake Will Brown Twitter. I know it's lost a bit of its heater these days, but still!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
A reporter in Fort Worth just reported that UT-Arlington coach Chris Ogden is going to join Chris Beard's staff at Texas, so this job has now created two vacancies. Superspreader!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
A reporter in Fort Worth just reported that UT-Arlington coach Chris Ogden is going to join Chris Beard's staff at Texas, so this job has now created two vacancies. Superspreader!
The tweet of note:

Even talk in the twitterverse that UTEP coach Rodney Terry (another former Longhorns assistant) might join the staff too. Also, interesting to note that Texas Tech's coaching staff page has removed Beard and his assistant, Ulric Maligi, who gets mentioned for a lot of mid-major jobs and has a reputation as a big recruiter. Either means he's tagging along...or perhaps is filling the role at a school like Texas A&M-Corpus Christi?

Meanwhile, Mills at Oral Roberts got a big extension, which likely means an upgrade in pay, but a bigger buyout. If Texas Tech wants the guy (and it might), ORU probably just gets better compensation. My guess though is Tech hires McCastland at North Texas...unless Scott Drew is the guy at UNC (or Arizona if they kick Sean Miller to the curb? Highly doubt but who knows), in which case he'd probably want to go to Baylor.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Updated if we assume all goes as planned with recent reported hires at DePaul, Austin Peay, Winthrop etc.

Power 6/Multi-Bid Leagues
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
San Jose State
Utah State

Mid-Majors

Central Connecticut
East Tennessee State
Eastern Michigan
Hofstra
IUPUI (interim coach is on second year, but apparently this is still open)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UC Riverside (interim coached full year sounds like he's getting the job)
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State

Was also curious about the women's side of the coin. The BU coach got the Wisconsin job, and Oklahoma, Auburn and Arizona are the only Power 5 type jobs open. But, a few regional jobs of note include BU, Northeastern, Dartmouth and Siena : Women's college basketball coaching changes for 2021-22

561 - 580 of 679 Posts