Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
right time to do what? Was the player charged? did the swimmer ever press charges? Was he suspended from school? If he was neither charged with a crime or suspended from school how can you suspend him or throw him off the team? As an individual you cannot pick and choose what you want to happen. If you do A then B happens and if you do C then D happens. you cant say you do not want an investigation but you still want a player suspended. Very unfortunate situation but there was nothing for becker to do.
I don't believe that law enforcement was ever involved, so yes, that is a bit of sticky situation on how best to handle what the player did. At a minimum, it's a "he said, she said" situation which should necessitate some level of institutional investigation. With that being said, players sign a pretty stringent code of conduct agreement, that undoubtedly, this would have been a breach of. It doesn't appear as though there was any investigation (there should have been) or repercussion for the male player. A different player was removed from the team just before this season started for conduct that was probably less egregious, so why the double standard? Was it because one involved a female victim and the other involved another male basketball player??? I don't know, but pretty awful optics...

In my mind, as bad as the player's conduct was alleged to be, I find that the university/athletic department's lack of responsiveness in protecting/standing up for another DI scholarship athlete is an even bigger transgression. That is where I hope there will be significant repercussions. That was an institutional failure, plain and simple.

Nothing for Becker to do?!? He could, for starters, have enforced the code of conduct. He could have publicly been supportive of the victim. He could have benched the player in questions for any number of games. None of that happened. It appears as though the university did not take seriously the allegation of the victim. The event occurred before the season even started. As the head coach, you are responsible for what goes on, with the players on your team.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I don't believe that law enforcement was ever involved, so yes, that is a bit of sticky situation on how best to handle what the player did. With that being said, players sign a pretty stringent code of conduct agreement, that undoubtedly, this would have been a breach of. It doesn't appear as though there was any investigation or repercussion for the male player. A player was removed from the team just before the season started this year for conduct that was probably less egregious, so why the double standard? Was it because one involved a female victim and the other involved another male basketball player??? Pretty awful optics...

In my mind, as bad as the player's conduct was, I find that the university/athletic department's lack of responsiveness in protecting/standing up for another DI scholarship athlete is an even bigger transgression.
Or worse was it because of who the male player was? Had he been a back up role player would this have been handled differently?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't believe that law enforcement was ever involved, so yes, that is a bit of sticky situation on how best to handle what the player did. At a minimum, it's a "he said, she said" situation which should necessitate some level of institutional investigation. With that being said, players sign a pretty stringent code of conduct agreement, that undoubtedly, this would have been a breach of. It doesn't appear as though there was any investigation (there should have been) or repercussion for the male player. A different player was removed from the team just before this season started for conduct that was probably less egregious, so why the double standard? Was it because one involved a female victim and the other involved another male basketball player??? I don't know, but pretty awful optics...

In my mind, as bad as the player's conduct was alleged to be, I find that the university/athletic department's lack of responsiveness in protecting/standing up for another DI scholarship athlete is an even bigger transgression. That is where I hope there will be significant repercussions. That was an institutional failure, plain and simple.

Nothing for Becker to do?!? He could, for starters, have enforced the code of conduct. He could have publicly been supportive of the victim. He could have benched the player in questions for any number of games. None of that happened. It appears as though the university did not take seriously the allegation of the victim. The event occurred before the season even started. As the head coach, you are responsible for what goes on, with the players on your team.
Here is the issue. it is a "he said she said." You are looking through a lens that he was wrong no matter what. that is not how this country works. She waited a month to report anything and then said she did not want a formal title 9 investigation and did not go to police. Becker was going to suspend a player based on what? Remember the duke lacrosse scandal. it was all a lie? Duke then paid out alot of money. It sounds like the only thing she wanted was for him to get tossed from the team. Rape doesn't work like that. If you rape someone you go to jail.

I am not condoning any form of sexual assault. However, you cannot be wishy washy about this stuff. If you are going to say someone rapped you, you need to go to police. end of story. If you do not things like this happen.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
However, you cannot be wishy washy about this stuff. If you are going to say someone rapped you, you need to go to police. end of story. If you do not things like this happen.
I take it you don't know anybody that has been a victim of sexual assault. I wish I didn't but I have a few loved ones and friends that have endured such things from step-dads, brothers and acquaintances. The emotions and feelings are extreme and "wishy washy" (wow) is perfectly acceptable. I am amazed at your lack of empathy.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Here is the issue. it is a "he said she said." You are looking through a lens that he was wrong no matter what. that is not how this country works. She waited a month to report anything and then said she did not want a formal title 9 investigation and did not go to police. Becker was going to suspend a player based on what? Remember the duke lacrosse scandal. it was all a lie? Duke then paid out alot of money. It sounds like the only thing she wanted was for him to get tossed from the team. Rape doesn't work like that. If you rape someone you go to jail.

I am not condoning any form of sexual assault. However, you cannot be wishy washy about this stuff. If you are going to say someone rapped you, you need to go to police. end of story. If you do not things like this happen.
Except she literally said in the article she didn't want to ruin his life, simply wanted him to be held responsible, which he wasn't...we really don't need to re-litigate this and I have no time for assholes like you who come in here with that. But, truly, get out of here with this garbage. You know full well when it comes to cases of sexual violence that simply "going to the police" doesn't solve anything and is not some panacea to sexual assault issues....and that colleges make it their duty to prevent students from doing so because they don't want to let it be known that this happens way more than you might think.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Except she literally said in the article she didn't want to ruin his life, simply wanted him to be held responsible, which he wasn't...we really don't need to re-litigate this and I have no time for assholes like you who come in here with that. But, truly, get out of here with this garbage. You know full well when it comes to cases of sexual violence that simply "going to the police" doesn't solve anything and is not some panacea to sexual assault issues....and that colleges make it their duty to prevent students from doing so because they don't want to let it be known that this happens way more than you might think.
Bingo. Nail was hit squarely on the head.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
Is it a panacea to the victim's psychological trauma? No, but in terms of holding perpetrators responsible, it does. Absent witnesses and physical evidence it makes holding people accountable next to impossible. I'm not blaming her for not going to the police, simply emphasizing the difficulty it presents in holding the guilty party responsible. As far as the code of conduct goes, I believe they still need to prove the violation. So again the same difficulty.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Is it a panacea to the victim's psychological trauma? No, but in terms of holding perpetrators responsible, it does. Absent witnesses and physical evidence it makes holding people accountable next to impossible. I'm not blaming her for not going to the police, simply emphasizing the difficulty it presents in holding the guilty party responsible. As far as the code of conduct goes, I believe they still need to prove the violation. So again the same difficulty.
Okay. Again, re-litigating this is energy I have already spent in droves. Yes, the situation is difficult. However, the entire point of the university system was to hold the guilty party responsible while avoiding the clearer path that could actually hold the party accountable. There's a lot more to it than that in how both systems can shortchange victims of sexual violence. That doesn't let the poster off the hook for their terrible and irrelevant comparison, making claims that simply are not verified and can be refuted, and calling an alleged victim "wishy washy"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not defending that aspect of it.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
While I'm truly humbled by the benefit of your doubt, I don't require it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
It wouldn’t surprise me if the Drake coach moves up a level. 70% winning percentage in his first 100 games as a head coach.

·
Registered
185 Posts

You can say asshole but you are ignoring alot of complex issues that come up.

You have no clue if he was held responsible or not. You are taking the female at her word which means you are not taking the player at his. Not picking sides but there are plenty examples of sexual assault and false claims regarding sexual assault. Again, remember Duke lacrosse? Or Nikki Yovino? A simple google search will find you more false claims. You will also google and find more claims that are true. You have no time for due process? Let me know when your son is the accused of something like this. I wonder if you will feel the same way about due process then.

Punishment is not up to the victim. As a victim you have no say in punishment. that is not how the US legal system works. it is not up to her to protect him just so he gets thrown off the team. He ruined his life the minute he raped her. You cannot say i dont want to go to police and i also dont want to file a formal complaint but i want someone to be held responsible. that is not how it works. I understand this is a very tough situation and alot of issues involved but you cant pretend the only thing that happens to a player is he gets kicked off the team if he rapes someone.

This player raped someone. He is a danger to society. He is a danger to my mother, my wife, my sisters, my daughters or any future girlfriend of his. If he did this he needs to go to jail not just thrown off the basketball.

Maybe wishy washy was a bad term but the point remains the same. There are rules in place if you want someone held accountable you need to do x,y and z. If you do not do x,y and z that then you cant expect someone to be held accountable. There is no middle ground. You cant say i kind of want someone in trouble

·
Registered
185 Posts
I take it you don't know anybody that has been a victim of sexual assault. I wish I didn't but I have a few loved ones and friends that have endured such things from step-dads, brothers and acquaintances. The emotions and feelings are extreme and "wishy washy" (wow) is perfectly acceptable. I am amazed at your lack of empathy.
not sure why it is relevant but I actually do. a good friend of mine was raped in high school at a party. She didnt say a word until a couple years ago. I have tons of empathy. However i believe in things like due process and having laws that govern punishments. I am not sure why that is so bad.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It wouldn’t surprise me if the Drake coach moves up a level. 70% winning percentage in his first 100 games as a head coach.
You left out the "they're 17-0 and nationally ranked right now" part. It's one of the harder jobs in the league too. Maybe Iowa State gives him a look if they make a move. I feel like even though the MVC is a legit league, I'd want to see how they do if there's a NCAA tournament if they make it (keeping pace, they could get an at large if they stumble in their conference tournament...they have to still play a very good Loyola team in the regular season too). If not this year, he'll be on someone's radar to move up in next 2-3 seasons if he keeps it up. I read this a while back on the guy...he was passed up for the Drake job twice before getting it:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Belmont’s coach, Casey Alexander picked right up where Rick Byrd left off. He is 44-8 in his second season. And they look really good this year too. If there’s a tournament they might get their first round of 64 win this season.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Belmont’s coach, Casey Alexander picked right up where Rick Byrd left off. He is 44-8 in his second season. And they look really good this year too. If there’s a tournament they might get their first round of 64 win this season.
Wouldn't have to move if Vandy sought to make a move and hire someone like him. But, Rick Byrd was there for 30 years and Alexander might be feeling he can do the same. He's an alum, probably can always win because my guess is without football, Belmont pumps more resources into basketball. I think you're right they'll be someone to watch come March if there are games played, but I sense he'd be picky about where he goes, if anywhere.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Terry Porter fired at Portland. He was absolutely brutal there.

Your current openings are:

Wichita State
Penn State
Fordham
Northern Illinois
Portland
Tennessee-Martin*
Texas State*

*My sense is with the latter two they're going to lift the interim tag off both of them, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Terrible stuff. UT Rio Grande Valley's coach Lew Hill died yesterday. He was 56. Second active D1 head coach to die this season (Anthony Stewart at UT Martin)

41 - 60 of 141 Posts