Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

601 - 620 of 679 Posts

·
Comrade Fox
2,046 Posts
So right now, unless I forgot something between catpower's last posted list and now, the current openings are:

UTEP
Central Connecticut
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Western Carolina
UMBC
Hofstra
IUPUI
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State

And UC Riverside who had an interim that seems to be getting the job full-time.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,095 Posts

Jeff Goodman

Texas Tech new head coach Mark Adams has hired Portland State head coach Barret Peery as his associate head coach, source told @Stadium.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Jeff Goodman
Texas Tech new head coach Mark Adams has hired Portland State head coach Barret Peery as his associate head coach, source told @Stadium.
So we've seen the effects of pandemi-nomics at play in some of the head coach hirings this year: more schools either staying in-house and promoting assistants or hiring other schools' assistants/lower-profile guys, rather than trying to chase "names" and write bigger-than-necessary checks (a few exceptions, of course). Is this also part of it? Head coaches in one-bid leagues, particularly those who may not have an obvious next step/endgame at their current spot, bailing prematurely in the name of financial security? I know the goal is "be a head coach, run your own program," but I would imagine it's a lot easier and less stressful to be part of a crew at Texas Tech than it is trying to run the show at Portland State in 2021, where you may not have the same resources available that you did when they hired you. So go back to the big boys, and try to make your name there.

Anyway, just a thought. None of this is unprecedented by any means, but I feel like the volume of moves like this in a single year is.

·
Realist/A-hole
6,095 Posts
Look at who is getting hired for these mid major/ non P6 major jobs. There seem to be a lot more high major assistants filling positions rather than the successful low major guys. I'm sure some of these guys see themselves in a better position to be hired for that next level job as high major assistants rather than as head coaches of middling low/mid major programs. That certainly seems to be playing itself out this year anyway.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I still can’t believe Binghamton had two years to find someone and the best they got was an assistant with 2 years of college coaching to be the interim head coach.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Coaching Changes twitter says Bethune-Cookman will promote assistant Domonique Taylor to head coach, in a completely unsurprising development.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
So we've seen the effects of pandemi-nomics at play in some of the head coach hirings this year: more schools either staying in-house and promoting assistants or hiring other schools' assistants/lower-profile guys, rather than trying to chase "names" and write bigger-than-necessary checks (a few exceptions, of course). Is this also part of it? Head coaches in one-bid leagues, particularly those who may not have an obvious next step/endgame at their current spot, bailing prematurely in the name of financial security? I know the goal is "be a head coach, run your own program," but I would imagine it's a lot easier and less stressful to be part of a crew at Texas Tech than it is trying to run the show at Portland State in 2021, where you may not have the same resources available that you did when they hired you. So go back to the big boys, and try to make your name there.

Anyway, just a thought. None of this is unprecedented by any means, but I feel like the volume of moves like this in a single year is.
I thought a lot about this when Maine's football coach parlayed an appearance in the FCS semis into being a second-level defensive assistant at Minnesota.

The gulf is getting so wide between low majors and high majors. Some mid-majors are clinging to the right side of that gulf, but at the very bottom of the barrel the resource gap is enormous. Maine football essentially had one small hallway of staffers. A Big 10 football team will have a building of just football staffers. I'd bet Harasymiak actually manages more people as the linebackers coach at Minnesota than he did as the head coach at Maine. Being a P5 coordinator is a better escalator to getting a P5 head coaching job at some point.

I realize that is football, but the same idea applies. A college football writer I like (Bill Connelly at ESPN) has a saying that at a really hard job, with little to no resources or history of success you "slowly push the boulder up the hill, slip slightly and watch the boulder run over you on its way back to the bottom." You could be at Maine, or Binghamton, or Portland State, or any number of low-major program, and do everything perfectly for a period of years and years and years, and slowly go from 340th in the nation, to 300th, to 275th, to having a .500 record, to a winning record in conference, to the cusp of a NCAA berth, and suddenly you have two guys transfer because they want to be closer to home, or your point guard runs over an old lady stealing condoms at Walmart, or your AD leaves, or you lose some funding, and all of a sudden you are 3-25 and have to start the whole thing over again.

There's no rope with some of these jobs to keep the boulder from rolling backwards. There's no net to stop the boulder from rolling too far if it does start rolling. There's no trampoline at the bottom to start the boulder upwards again. You just have to dust yourself off, start from scratch, and slowly build again.

So, yes, if you are at a low major and want to climb the ladder, you need to grab whatever life raft that floats by because if you wait too long you are done.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
That's a really eloquent point you made. Couldn't agree more and why it's tough to begrudge any coach who has success and parlays it to a better job. Grab the money while you can. You never know what will happen.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #610

Jackson (I assume it is the same one) is a former NAIA head coach where he won 294 games at Xavier (Louisiana) and went to the NAIA tourney 10 times. Was also a UAB assistant and it looked like he was supposed to go to Alabama State to be their associate HC last year...but he doesn't appear anywhere on their site after there were some tweets and news clippings about it. Dannton Jackson - Men's Basketball Coach - University of Alabama at Birmingham Athletics

Also Madhavapallil was the DBO at Marquette, KJ Baptiste was a grad assistant at Penn State last year.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Down-ballot carousel news: Northeastern assistant (and former UVM assistant, and former Maine guard) Chris Markwood is heading across town to join the staff at BC. Pay raise, and you don't have to move. That is the life.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
Down-ballot carousel news: Northeastern assistant (and former UVM assistant, and former Maine guard) Chris Markwood is heading across town to join the staff at BC. Pay raise, and you don't have to move. That is the life.
Great news for UVM, Markwood has been crushing us on recruiting since he left for NU.

Reactions: Alumni96

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
More than 80 candidates for the CCSU opening, includes assistants and head coaches.

Zoom interviews start next week, then finalists will be brought to campus.

CCSU is taking their time to ensure we find the right guy for our situation. Looking for someone to build a program, not just put a team on the floor.

Probably won't have a selection until the end of the month, but like the way our AD is running the process.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
More than 80 candidates for the CCSU opening, includes assistants and head coaches.

Zoom interviews start next week, then finalists will be brought to campus.

CCSU is taking their time to ensure we find the right guy for our situation. Looking for someone to build a program, not just put a team on the floor.

Probably won't have a selection until the end of the month, but like the way our AD is running the process.
Good luck! Really hope you guys get someone good that can turn that place around. I wonder if the opening at UMBC will affect this search? Probably not, but definitely another spot that can take their top pick.

Reactions: charliemike
601 - 620 of 679 Posts