Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

661 - 680 of 714 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I will say, the UMBC job is probably (in relation to its peers) the best job/program Ferry's been involved with at the D-1 level. Historically-speaking, LIU and Duquesne are dogs (classic Coaching Carousel Sophie's Choice for Ferry back in 2012: Take the Duquesne job which you know is going to be a struggle and a half, or stay at LIU after back-to-back tourneys when you know it's probably never going to get better than that and you're destined to become the hero who lives long enough to see themselves become the villain). And he was thrust into an interim job at Penn State, whose success at that level is spotty at best. I'd say UMBC gives him the best opportunity to win consistently at this level, if he can seize it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
1. It could be worse. You could have hired Aki Thomas as interim head coach like Binghamton did.
2. When was the last time LIU had success before ferry?
3. Isn’t Duquesne the worst job in the A-10?
4. It could be worse you could have 2 of the last 3 head coaching hires be given an interim tag like Binghamton..

moral of the story is you are not Binghamton so be a little happy about that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. It could be worse. You could have hired Aki Thomas as interim head coach like Binghamton did.
4. It could be worse you could have 2 of the last 3 head coaching hires be given an interim tag like Binghamton..

LIU dominated a stronger Northeast conference back in 1997 and 1998 when they had Charles Jones and Richie Parker. However, I get your point.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts

I'd say Fordham is a worse job than Duquesne.

·
Registered
239 Posts
LIU dominated a stronger Northeast conference back in 1997 and 1998 when they had Charles Jones and Richie Parker. However, I get your point.
I actually googled to see the coach. Ray Haskins was three for three years had two 20 win seasons then a 9 win season. One ncaa and one nit. He then amicably split from school because of the budget.At the time all coaches got one year deals and if Haskins didn’t go back to his high school principal job he would lose his tenure... pretty interesting

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Yes, other schools have it worse but it’s all relative and this is about absolutely pissing away the UVA win through ineptitude and ambivalence.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
List the guys you preferred UMBC to hire.
Since nobody seems able, will just start to answer this myself:

*Scott Greenman, American University
*Corey McRae, Delaware

Effectively, just Google Jeff Goodman’s Stadium list of each conferences best assistant coaches from Patriot League/NEC/CAA/AE and that can be your mix & match hypothetical UMBC candidate pool.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Those were great teams and fun times at the Schwartz Center. High-speed basketball played in a converted theater that absolutely shook with every rim-rocking dunk.

·
Premium Member
33,641 Posts
I would have wanted to interview top assistants from programs where they have contributed in some way to multi-year success.
Kyle Cieplicki
Ryan Schneider

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Do you think there was any mutual interest between UMBC and Will Brown?

If Barrio and company really wanted an experienced head coach that could plug and play in the AE, that seems like worth discussing, if Brown was willing to talk.

I'm wondering if he's in the running at Central. Seems to be a strong candidate on the surface, but not sure CCSU can match what he was making at Albany, whereas I bet UMBC could.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Non-AE/UMBC/Jim Ferry content: Jeff Goodman (I think) is reporting that IUPUI will hire Ball State assistant Matt Crenshaw as head coach. Crenshaw was a long-time IUPUI assistant previously.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Much like a stoned college student, more dominos falling - UTEP hiring Joe Golding from Abilene Christian.

Man, I know this is a step up in conference and I'm sure a pay raise but is he setting himself up for failure? UTEP has been pretty irrelevant in basketball over the past decade or more (just checked, last NCAA Tourney appearance was 2010, only 3 appearances since Y2K and no NCAA Tourney wins since 1992). Shoot, other schools in the conference from Texas are North Texas (beat Purdue in 1st round this year), Rice (not very good, but great academics and Houston > El Paso) and UT-San Antonio. Not sure UTEP is more appealing than any of them if I'm being honest. Plus it's kind of a misfit group of schools in CUSA, located across a large footprint (El Paso, TX to Norfolk, VA, Boca Raton, FL to Huntington, WV and points in between). Lastly, is living next to the United States/Mexico border anything any of us want to do right now? It seems to be absolute chaos in that part of the world.

Anyway, with his recent win over Texas in the NCAA's, leading the team to their 2nd NCAA Tournament in only 8 years of DI (joined in 2013), you would think he would be in line to get a big jump. Maybe he doesn't like the fact that Abilene Christian is jumping to the WAC in July?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
On the women's side, rumor is that Hartford's coach, Morgan Valley, is going to be the new asst coach at UConn, replacing longtime asst Shea Ralph who is now the women's coach at Vanderbilt. So, the Ralph hiring at Vandy has led to 2 job openings in the America East: her husband is leaving the head job at UMass-Lowell to be her Assoc HC at Vandy and Valley is going to replace her at UConn. The dominoes are strong on this move lol.

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
783 Posts
On the women's side, rumor is that Hartford's coach, Morgan Valley, is going to be the new asst coach at UConn, replacing longtime asst Shea Ralph who is now the women's coach at Vanderbilt. So, the Ralph hiring at Vandy has led to 2 job openings in the America East: her husband is leaving the head job at UMass-Lowell to be her Assoc HC at Vandy and Valley is going to replace her at UConn. The dominoes are strong on this move lol.
I hadn’t realized the Garrick part. What could possibly go wrong having your spouse on the coaching staff?

661 - 680 of 714 Posts