Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

681 - 700 of 714 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
On the women's side, rumor is that Hartford's coach, Morgan Valley, is going to be the new asst coach at UConn, replacing longtime asst Shea Ralph who is now the women's coach at Vanderbilt. So, the Ralph hiring at Vandy has led to 2 job openings in the America East: her husband is leaving the head job at UMass-Lowell to be her Assoc HC at Vandy and Valley is going to replace her at UConn. The dominoes are strong on this move lol.
So let’s say this happens....best case scenario is Hartford fires Woodward.....Board of regents gives complete comfort to athletics that they are remaining in D1 And hiring a President who believes in that vision. Then they rehire Jen Rizzotti.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That would be the best case scenario. Morgan Valley has been a complete dumpster fire and is way over head. I would be so happy if Jen came back and brings the program to a high level again.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Per a bunch of Twitters, Arizona is hiring Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd.

If you are old enough to remember the 90s, take stock of this moment right here: Arizona...ARIZONA, one of the traditionally-prominent programs in the Pac-12 and thus the entire Pacific Time Zone...hired an assistant from GONZAGA, a Jesuit school in Spokane, Washington, to be its head coach. Willingly.

This is like our own tiny little moon landing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So let’s say this happens....best case scenario is Hartford fires Woodward.....Board of regents gives complete comfort to athletics that they are remaining in D1 And hiring a President who believes in that vision. Then they rehire Jen Rizzotti.
One can always dream.

The moment I saw the news about Shea Ralph, Rizzotti to UConn was the thought that came to mind for me.

I haven't seen enough of the women's team post-Rizzotti to comment on the job Valley's done. Obviously she inherited a bad situation, but a mutual parting is probably for the best. Considering the D1-D3 stuff I certainly can't blame her for looking for the nearest escape hatch.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
One can always dream.

The moment I saw the news about Shea Ralph, Rizzotti to UConn was the thought that came to mind for me.

I haven't seen enough of the women's team post-Rizzotti to comment on the job Valley's done. Obviously she inherited a bad situation, but a mutual parting is probably for the best. Considering the D1-D3 stuff I certainly can't blame her for looking for the nearest escape hatch.
This would be a dream....based on what is currently going on is they decide to let all the players on the women’s team transfer out. Then they don’t hire any coaches or administrators ( you know 13 milllion in losses) and they announce the winning intramural program gets to play the conference schedule. They can either pick a coach/captain or just rotate.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wes Miller to Cinci makes for an interesting story line with UNC. UNC handed the program over to Hubert Davis and many in Tarheel country thought Wes Miller should be the pick. If Cinci has success and Carolina struggles then Bubba Cunningham will be on the hot seat as Carolina's AD.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This would be a dream....based on what is currently going on is they decide to let all the players on the women’s team transfer out. Then they don’t hire any coaches or administrators ( you know 13 milllion in losses) and they announce the winning intramural program gets to play the conference schedule. They can either pick a coach/captain or just rotate.
15 walk-ons and not having to pay the buyout on the former coach? That sounds like someone's dream.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Been a long time since I wrote on here, but this damn d3 situation brought me back.... in other news Mike Dimauro of the Day tweeted out he's hearing the CCSU job is going to Patrick Sellers

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
That’s not a bad hire. CCSU alum, lots of good assistant experience at higher schools like UMass and UConn. Hope that he kicks ass if he’s hired.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
He's been the front runner from CCSU fans and was my personal choice for the job 5 years ago. Waiting for a few other sources on my end, but he will be a great pick for us.

Knows the school, has the creds from being a high major assistants, and is one if the nicest and well liked guys in the college game. He'll still need resources and support to be successful at CCSU, but I love the selection - if this is it.

Hopefully they can make this official soon, because, like a lot of other schools, he needs to address the kids we have in the portal and then go recruiting in the portal for more.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
How do you feel about Curran?
A great choice. If he doesn't get the CCSU job, someone will be very happy when they hire him for his first HC job. The word on the street is he's very much a part of the success at St. Bona. I would be very happy if we hired him.

However, Sellers just has a lot of connections to our program and feels like a better "fit" for CCSU job. He was recruited/played for our legendary head coach Bill Detrick who was in just our second year of D-I status. When Detrick stepped down in 1987-88 for heath reasons, CJ Jones took over as HC, who later become our AD and got us into the NEC. In 4 years at CCSU, Sellers played the first 3 while we were an Independent. He won DPOY in the East Coast Conference in his senior year. Howie brought him on as an assistant coach and was there for our first 2 NCAA bids. He's been a high-major assistant at UConn, Creighton, and DePaul, plus stops at UMass, Hofstra, and FDU) He was interim HC at Hofstra in 2013. He's a quiet guy, but well respected and will get us the type of student-athletes we need at Central. He's one of our own so I'm rooting for him.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
How do you feel about Curran?
I would also add that last time around, the CCSU vacancy garnered a great pool of candidates, but a very poor selection. Four of the other 5 finalist to replace Howie in 2016 subsequently got a head coaching job elsewhere.

1. Jay Young - Fairfield (2019)
2. Shaheen Holloway - St. Peter's (2018)
3. Jared Grasso - Bryant (2018)
---
4. Steve Curran - remained Assoc. HC at St. Bona
5. Andre LaFleur - moved from Providence to UNLV (2016)

IMO - both Curran and Sellers will make very good head coaches at this level, which is why we can't go wrong from here.

That's also partly why I'm curious about the pool of finalist at UMBC, Hofstra, and Albany.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
According to Jeff Jacobs, a few additional names are surfacing in addition to Curran and Sellers.

Mike Donnelly - Head Coach at D-II Florida Southern; former HC at D-II Southern Connecticut; played 2 years at CCSU before transferring to then D-II Sacred Heart. Built nationally-ranked D-II programs in CT and FL.

Matt Kingsley - Associate Head Coach at Yale; on James Jones' staff for 15 years; assistant at Eastern Connecticut and St. Thomas Moore Prep; from West Haven and graduated from Wesleyan.

Grant Billmeier - Assistant at Seton Hall; one season as assistant at FDU; Seton Hall '07

Reported that Jim Ferry was interested before getting the UMBC job.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Definitely of interest to many on this board, rumor has it that T.J. Sorrentine is in the mix at CCSU.
And another name to add "in the mix" at CCSU has a Vermont and SBU connection - Kelvin Jefferson, was an assistant at UVM from 1999-2001 and helped recruit Taylor Coppenrath and T.J. Sorrentine.

Jefferson is currently the HC at D-II Gannon (Pa.). He was previously the HC at South Kent Prep in Connecticut, an assistant at Old Dominion, American, Colgate, Stony Brook, and Vermont. He has D-III experience at Merchant Marine (Kings Point), Salem State (Mass.), and Wesleyan. Jefferson is from Norwalk and played at Southern Connecticut State.

681 - 700 of 714 Posts