Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

721 - 740 of 744 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
I didn't know where to post this and I didn't want to start a new thread. But I wonder if college coaches feel the same way?

Of course.

My son is only 10 but for a brief moment in time developed a nasty habit of putting his hands out (the "what are you doing?" shrug) when his teammate made a mistake, he made a mistake, or he thought he was fouled and ref didn't call it. The right body language is so important. Anyways, that got nipped in the bud real quick. No matter what happens if you screw up, teammate screws up, or ref screws up none of that matters and nobody cares, being animated about it is not going to help yourself and you just can't react and have to keep playing/move on to next play.

Every weekend I sit in gyms watching 10yr old kids act insane- arguing with teammates, coaches, parents, etc. I see every bad habit you can think of.

If HS'ers or 19yr-23 yr olds haven't learned that by then, good luck trying to coach them at their next level!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I didn't know where to post this and I didn't want to start a new thread. But I wonder if college coaches feel the same way?

When I was coaching and on the road recruiting, that was something I always watched closely. Look, if a kid is going to disrespect his coach and parents in high school, it will be like that in college. So yes, that is a HUGE thing. My philosophy was always "I can make you a better player, but I can't make you a better person.". When you are limited to 12, 13 or 15 players, you can't afford to bring in jerks that are going to bring the team down. Now obviously we all get frustrated at times and pretty much everyone involved in athletics is highly competitive and sometimes we all react poorly, but this is more about the players that seem to react like that all the time, don't listen to their coach, act like turds towards their parents after games, etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting that. Makes me happy to know that even NBA scouts look for that type of stuff.

Reactions: c00per and GoCatsGo

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
When I was coaching and on the road recruiting, that was something I always watched closely. Look, if a kid is going to disrespect his coach and parents in high school, it will be like that in college. So yes, that is a HUGE thing. My philosophy was always "I can make you a better player, but I can't make you a better person.". When you are limited to 12, 13 or 15 players, you can't afford to bring in jerks that are going to bring the team down. Now obviously we all get frustrated at times and pretty much everyone involved in athletics is highly competitive and sometimes we all react poorly, but this is more about the players that seem to react like that all the time, don't listen to their coach, act like turds towards their parents after games, etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting that. Makes me happy to know that even NBA scouts look for that type of stuff.
Thanks for speaking more authoritatively about something I kind of suspected: yeah I imagine it's a big deal, especially the further down the foodchain you're recruiting. At higher levels you can maybe afford to gamble a little because someone has elite-level talent (though we've certainly seen that blow up from time to time), but once you get past down into the rank-and-file of college hoops...or even, to use the original example, late 1st Round/2nd Round picks who are not surefire NBA stars...attitude matters. You can't afford bigtime character misses that will bring down the locker room.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Binghamton announces their coaching staff: assistants will be Brian Johnson (returning), Patrick Norris (returning, but promoted from DBO), and Marlon Guild (assistant at Rider).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Interesting it’s Scheyer considering who K has had on the bench with him.
Yeah, what a remarkable case of Right Place, Right Time for Scheyer. The list of guys who at one point or another probably thought they could "ride it out" before realizing it wasn't happening anytime soon is LENGTHY. But no single one of them ever really emerged as The Guy. So Duke moves for probably the most seamless transition possible: Scheyer gets to play Coach In Training for an entire year, and Duke probably saves a little bit of money in the process (which, after the last 18 months even Duke won't shy away at saving a few bucks).

The real losers here are fans like us who spent 20 years playing Duke Coaching Search Fan Fiction only to get a search that lasted under an hour! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, what a remarkable case of Right Place, Right Time for Scheyer. The list of guys who at one point or another probably thought they could "ride it out" before realizing it wasn't happening anytime soon is LENGTHY. But no single one of them ever really emerged as The Guy. So Duke moves for probably the most seamless transition possible: Scheyer gets to play Coach In Training for an entire year, and Duke probably saves a little bit of money in the process (which, after the last 18 months even Duke won't shy away at saving a few bucks).

The real losers here are fans like us who spent 20 years playing Duke Coaching Search Fan Fiction only to get a search that lasted under an hour! :)
There was no search. Coach K anointed him. Scheyer has been studying under Coach K for the last 20 years or so. He seems as good as choice as any, and his being there helps with continuity. Who would be the alternative? Amaker? He has been out of the Duke orbit for a while now, and he seems very content at Harvard.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
There was no search. Coach K anointed him. Scheyer has been studying under Coach K for the last 20 years or so. He seems as good as choice as any, and his being there helps with continuity. Who would be the alternative? Amaker? He has been out of the Duke orbit for a while now, and he seems very content at Harvard.
That was kind of my point: there was no singular obvious alternative, despite the number of guys who have taken their turn as "Maybe he's the next guy" over the years. That benefitted Scheyer. Move the decision by a couple of years in either of direction, Duke maybe goes a different way. Still in the family, but not necessarily Scheyer.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Delaware State hires Stan Waterman as its new head coach. Waterman has been the head coach at the Sanford School in Delaware for the last 30 years. 571 wins, 8 state titles. He's also done some work with USA Basketball.

I think this leaves Arkansas-Pine Bluff as the last 2021 job still on the market.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That was kind of my point: there was no singular obvious alternative, despite the number of guys who have taken their turn as "Maybe he's the next guy" over the years. That benefitted Scheyer. Move the decision by a couple of years in either of direction, Duke maybe goes a different way. Still in the family, but not necessarily Scheyer.
I am agreeing with you. A while back, it might have been Collins or Snyder or Dawkins, but they seem to have lost their Duke shine. Scheyer still has it, and he also seems to be a special sympatico with Coach K.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
According to Jeff Goodman, Arkansas-Pine Bluff is hiring Oral Roberts assistant Solomon Bozeman...which I thought put a cap on the 2021 Carousel, but apparently Bethune-Cookman hasn't formally promoted assistant Dominique Taylor like everyone expects them to, so it lives on!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just noticed something interesting while bored at work. I knew UMass Lowell was advertising for an assistant men's basketball coach. I went on the website to see who left and found out that DOBO Tom O'shea (former St. Michaels/St. Johnsbury Academy Coach) is no longer listed on their site. Interested to find out where he ends up.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Just noticed something interesting while bored at work. I knew UMass Lowell was advertising for an assistant men's basketball coach. I went on the website to see who left and found out that DOBO Tom O'shea (former St. Michaels/St. Johnsbury Academy Coach) is no longer listed on their site. Interested to find out where he ends up.
He's there now. Granted, this is still officially the 2020-21 roster...

721 - 740 of 744 Posts